Indianapolis Lock Picking Class (Mindset Labs)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I think locks are for honest people.Think about tool boxes, doors, cabinets, lockers, etc. If someone wants to get into something they can lock picks or no lock picks. breaking into things isn't hard and pretty much usually just requires brute force. Having the skills to defeat locks allow entry into things without being noticed. It's a discreet method. It can also be a money saving method, think of when some kid locks himself in the bathroom and can't get out. Do you really want to kick in the door? It's just like every other skill in the tool box you will use when you need it and it happens more often than you think.

I picked a masterlock the other day because I needed an LP tank that was chained up. The guy with the key had already left and instead of making him drive 30 min back just to unlock it I picked it. Saving us both time and money. Yes I let him know what I was doing. It's not a black art like some people make it out to be.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    If you do ever need a skill, it's important that you know it prior to needing it.

We had a good group of students today. It's amazing what they can learn in just 4 hours.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I pick locks all the time at work, but have a lot of trouble with "real" locks. I might have to do that class. Can I bring my own picks?
    Quality of the hardware involved matters. Even along same brand lines there are different levels of quality based upon which model line you are comparing. A Schlage F series residential lock will generally be much easier than a A or D series commercial Schlage lock. Many people, even with practise, still struggle with 'real' locks as you call them. Additionally, this is a skill that develops over time with practise. The more you do it, the better you get. The less you do it, the more your ability suffers. And finally, I can not tell you how many times I have been locked out of a house/car and been without any types of tools to solve the situation.

Have a plan B, a way to MacGuever your way through it. The very first date I had with my now wife, I was running behind and locked my keys in my vehicle at a walmart in Boonville. I ran inside to the cosmetics area and bought a few pairs of tweezers, and then a file from hardware to make a lockpick and tension wrench of my own.

Keep in mind, the possession of lockpicks can potentially bring legal troubles if you come across police officials that want to be *******s. Technically this is possession of burglary tools. If any of you are interested in more training in this field, possibly even a career in this field, check out the classes available at the Lockmasters Security Institute in Nicholasville Kentucky. They cost substantially more thant this class does, but are some of the finest training available in the field.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Because it may help you get access to places or things that may otherwise be inaccessible.

Well put.

AKA (un)breaking & entering. And the zombie apocalypse thing. Also, DIY invisibilty class could be very useful as well. My new pamphlet "You Can't See What You Can't See" will be out this fall. Meanwhile fello :ingo:'ers. Hide yer daughters.......

Fenway, did you noticed the black van across the street snapping fotos of the attendees?

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My daughter wanted to learn what I know about lock picking for a script she was writing. I grabbed a couple different locks and walked her thru the finer points. She started out good and got better throughout the time she worked on them.

Started with one set of pins, then two, etc. Then the inevitable happened. She started bragging about how good she was at picking locks. Almost to the point that she was bored with it rather quickly.

I did the only thing I could think of to help the situation... I handed her the pick set and put her outside. Then I locked the door and closed it. Real world scenario changed her attitude. Little bit cold out, not sitting on a comfy chair. Lockset mounted to a door changed a lot for her.

I wouldn't mind taking a class just to see how people work around different locks. I took a course by mail (pre-internet) and only use the skills when gaining entry into bank repo's or when one of my deadbeat tenants changes the locks.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    This interests me. I have had so many situations in the normal course of life that this skill would have aided me. I've inadvertently been successful a few times with self made tools or tools meant for something else all the way back to when I was 10 years old and locked out of my house with my parents out of town.

The reaction to this is like my dad's reaction to me owning a suppressor. "You know what those are for, right? Are you going to kill someone? Why do you need something that only criminals use?" I explained but I don't think that he gets it yet because he hasn't shot them. This is probably the same thing, you don't get it because you haven't needed or used it. YET!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

The reaction to this is like my dad's reaction to me owning a suppressor. "You know what those are for, right? Are you going to kill someone? Why do you need something that only criminals use?" I explained but I don't think that he gets it yet because he hasn't shot them. This is probably the same thing, you don't get it because you haven't needed or used it. YET!

I had to go back and read the whole thread again. Still didn't see where anybody said anything like that.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

I decided a long time ago that there will be nothing I am unwilling to teach. Why is certain knowledge "too dangerous" to some?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My father took an online locksmith class a few years ago. Learned how to pick locks, key locks, cut keys, all that good stuff.

It came in handy when we bought new locks for the house, came especially handy when my mother locked her keys inside her car.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    If any of you are interested in more training in this field, possibly even a career in this field, check out the classes available at the Lockmasters Security Institute in Nicholasville Kentucky. They cost substantially more thant this class does, but are some of the finest training available in the field.
    I wouldn't recommend their auto entry class to anyone. My company sent me there for training and it was a colossal waste of money. I don't doubt that some of their other classes are top notch but I would seriously question their consistency. We are going to add an advanced defeating locks class at Mindset Lab eventually and included in that will be automotive entry, and I promise you that it will be more comprehensive content with better exposure and methods than what Lockmasters teaches. We did a private class covering auto entry and it went great.

I think the real value in the class is shattering the sense of security people get from locks, and also the empowerment of realizing that you often have far more options than you think you do in bad situations. You learn not to place too much trust in something that can be defeated with proper skill or determination, and you see that if you are the person with that skill and determination then it is a game changer. So whether you/someone you know gets locked out of your house/car, you're unlawfully detained against your will, or you are able to make yourself safer in a bad situation by moving to another place you don't technically have access to, you can reap a serious return on the investment of time spent learning and practicing to defeat locks.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I decided a long time ago that there will be nothing I am unwilling to teach. Why is certain knowledge "too dangerous" to some?
    Because Some of the somes have a problem with any commoner learning their secrets! Surreptitious entry is a very valuable skill, and I for one, believe in acquiring as many skills as needed, whether I ever have an actual need to use them outside of practice!

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I would like to see something like this a little closer to home, say Terre Haute. I would think the class would be fascinating. I learned to key or rekey locksets several years ago and it has come in useful many times for myself and others.

brianheeter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    I took this class earlier this month. It was fun, interesting, enlightening, eye-opening.... I need to take the time this weekend and practice on my home locks to make sure I don't forget what I learned. As far as the question, "Why take the class?" I would counter with, "Why have you learned how to shoot a rifle/pistol/shotgun? Do you plan on shooting someone?" The answer is (I hope), "No, I just want to be prepared should I need this skill." There you go.

C ya,

brian

Top Bottom