• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, y'all keep your ranks closed along with your minds. What's a little collateral damage when it helps achieve your objective, right?
    What about the collateral damage caused by the scumbags not being chased? Not just from their driving, but from their drive-by shootings, murders, robberies, etc.? I think the "little" collateral damage is better than the "larger" collateral damage.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yeah, y'all keep your ranks closed along with your minds. What's a little collateral damage when it helps achieve your objective, right?
    I would agree with that IF the officers involved acted recklessly. Example; The officers are chasing a suspect and blow through a red light (not clearing the lanes as required) and the OFFICER hits/injures an innocent. That officer is bought/paid for. They drove recklessly. Now if the are chasing the suspect and they clear their intersections, they make sure drivers see/hear them approaching, and the SUSPECT decides to blow a red light and crash, with officers a block or so behind but still with visual, how is that the officer's fault?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Bringing this one back up for those in the back who can't imagine any downside to this technology.
    Yes, it worked as designed but was populated with garbage data (bad report). There's more to this than the intended design.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bringing this one back up for those in the back who can't imagine any downside to this technology.
    Yes, it worked as designed but was populated with garbage data (bad report). There's more to this than the intended design.

How on earth did they solve crimes before Flock? (Add purple as needed)...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

There's been a lot of reports about rental car companies wrongly reporting rental cars as stolen; the problem is with them, not the technology.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Are you saying that if the feesbs wanted data on hits on certain plate numbers in your area that they wouldn't be given access to them? Would they be required to have a court order to do so, or would it be like LEADS where a valid LE id and the targets being a 'person of interest' would suffice?

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    There is also a problem with the plate not being read correctly. I got a notice from another state agency about my auto being involved in a traffic violation. Not only was I not in that state, but the plate was on a vehicle of mine that was stolen. I asked them why they didn't go after the stolen vehicle. I then found out that Indiana never reported my car as being stolen even though I reported it to both the state police and the license branch.

Thankfully the person in charge of Indiana vehicle licensing contacted the other state and explained that it couldn't have been me as I did report the vehicle stolen.

As a letter of "forgiveness" the other state finally sent me a photo of the vehicle. Not only had I never owned the SUV in the picture (the stolen car as a 2 door sports car) the license as misread. Mine was something like AKI, but the plate on the vehicle in the very poor camera photo turned out to be AKT!

So can we count on these newer cameras being 100% accurate or are you (figurative) potentially going to be wrongly flagged because an "T" is misread as an "I"?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    There is also a problem with the plate not being read correctly. I got a notice from another state agency about my auto being involved in a traffic violation. Not only was I not in that state, but the plate was on a vehicle of mine that was stolen. I asked them why they didn't go after the stolen vehicle. I then found out that Indiana never reported my car as being stolen even though I reported it to both the state police and the license branch.

Thankfully the person in charge of Indiana vehicle licensing contacted the other state and explained that it couldn't have been me as I did report the vehicle stolen.

As a letter of "forgiveness" the other state finally sent me a photo of the vehicle. Not only had I never owned the SUV in the picture (the stolen car as a 2 door sports car) the license as misread. Mine was something like AKI, but the plate on the vehicle in the very poor camera photo turned out to be AKT!

So can we count on these newer cameras being 100% accurate or are you (figurative) potentially going to be wrongly flagged because an "T" is misread as an "I"?
    FLOCK hits are lead information only. The hit has to be confirmed before action can be taken.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What data are we talking about here? Make, model, color of vehicles they record? BMV information is not available to FLOCK, there are state/federal laws regarding the dissemination of that information.
    Your own state is likely selling license plate data to other states or agencies authorized by those states. That data is utilized by such entities as the NY State Thruway or the bridge across the upper Chesapeake to the Del Marva in MD to collect tolls from out of state vehicles who do not use EZPass

Once that data is sold to another state, what can you truthfully say you know about data security?

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm still not clear how a company monetizes a picture of the rear of an anonymous vehicle with a location. There are no owner details associated with the pictures. Why would a company PAY for that data?
    Sell the information to a divorce lawyer to track a potentially philandering husband and perhaps identify his paramour? And pictures (plural) with time and location stamp so the dots can be connected into a travel track

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Countermeasures???

:scratch:
    The cameras operate in the infrared, but you cannot legally obscure your plate to an officers vision. There are filters that are opaque or reflective to IR but still pass visible light. They are not cheap but not out of reach either. Don't know if and how fast they would degrade out in the WX

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    The cameras operate in the infrared, but you cannot legally obscure your plate to an officers vision. There are filters that are opaque or reflective to IR but still pass visible light. They are not cheap but not out of reach either. Don't know if and how fast they would degrade out in the WX

Would a plexiglas-like cover lit by IR LEDs from the top/bottom or sides result in an ir glow strong enough to obfuscate the plate from the cameras?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So what does this look like? In your mind? "Maneuver tactically". I happen to teach Emergency Vehicle Operations to veteran officers as well as new recruits. Pursuit driving and high risk stops being being aspects of that. I'm also a PIT instructor. So what are you envisioning the officers should do that would reduce the likelihood of a pursuit?
    If they're in a 2026 model or later, have Flock contact their car's software to disable the engine

Top Bottom