• ...and so much more!
  • DirtRoadEvan

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Indianapolis
    One of my friends who is unfortunate enough to live within Marion county showed me a license plate reading camera that popped up in his yard yesterday without any kind of warning or notice. It looks like is a solar powered camera made by "Flock Security." In theory this helps find stolen cars and criminals on the loose, or potentially your grandmother who hasn't found her way home, but this does feel like a step towards some kind of orwellian future. You guys can let me know, maybe there's some tin foil under my hat, but it seems like these could be used for a lot more than reading license plates, especially when there is a large network of them all across the county.

Thoughts? Helpful tool for law enforcement or invasion of privacy?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    One of my friends who is unfortunate enough to live within Marion county showed me a license plate reading camera that popped up in his yard yesterday without any kind of warning or notice. It looks like is a solar powered camera made by "Flock Security." In theory this helps find stolen cars and criminals on the loose, or potentially your grandmother who hasn't found her way home, but this does feel like a step towards some kind of orwellian future. You guys can let me know, maybe there's some tin foil under my hat, but it seems like these could be used for a lot more than reading license plates, especially when there is a large network of them all across the county.

Thoughts? Helpful tool for law enforcement or invasion of privacy?
    They are all over the midwest. Look around as you're out and about. Interstate, country road or city street, you'll see them. Mostly around the county or city line...

I'm a bit surprised there isn't an uproar about them, but I doubt the sheeple know they are there and what they're for.

They will also capture and allow the law to search for license plate frames, stickers on your rear window, etc...

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    They’re being promoted all over our area here in Zionsville and HOAs are being asked if they want to install hem. Fortunately my neighborhood said no.

we would have had to pay a fee to install and maintain cameras that absolutely have the ability to invade our privacy. No thanks.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    They’re being promoted all over our area here in Zionsville and HOAs are being asked if they want to install hem. Fortunately my neighborhood said no.

we would have had to pay a fee to install and maintain cameras that absolutely have the ability to invade our privacy. No thanks.
    HOAs? We have enough going on here with the landscaper and pond maintenance dude. I'm hoping for a speed bump in 2025.

Who brought this up? Why? Were they laughed out of the room?

Reactions: Bde

Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana
    iu

FLOCK is just a technologically advanced version of this without the delay of showing your papers.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    Nashville Tn tried to put those up around town. The people fought back and won. I found out than that when you get caught doing something on a traffic camera in that state. You are not penalized anyway shape or form. Insurance won't be notified, no points off of your licenses, and you can't be turned over to a collection agency. But by law you are required to pay the fine. And you can be sued by the agency that owns and operates the cameras. And not long after that, I got busted for going under a red light. Got a ticket in the mail even stating all the above and a couple threatening letters. Then I moved back up here and had no problems getting my DL and tags transferred back. TN people don't like being spied on by any means. I would say that you should talk to your state senator or representative and see if you can get something done statewide.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Im gonna go with, your in public.
    You have zero expectations of privacyin public.

Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana
    Nashville Tn tried to put those up around town. The people fought back and won. I found out than that when you get caught doing something on a traffic camera in that state. You are not penalized anyway shape or form. Insurance won't be notified, no points off of your licenses, and you can't be turned over to a collection agency. But by law you are required to pay the fine. And you can be sued by the agency that owns and operates the cameras. And not long after that, I got busted for going under a red light. Got a ticket in the mail even stating all the above and a couple threatening letters. Then I moved back up here and had no problems getting my DL and tags transferred back. TN people don't like being spied on by any means. I would say that you should talk to your state senator or representative and see if you can get something done statewide.

As they should. My guess is FLOCK was introduced without the average taxpayer even knowing about them.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I've been mentioning this to INGO for a couple of years now.

These "private" cameras have popped up everywhere. They began on major roads near county lines, but quickly moved to nearly every major intersection.

You can be sure that they're being operated at a profit, and it's either your tax dollars or your data being monetized, or BOTH.

Now, I'm concerned that there has been little to no hue & cry but I have hope that a difference can be made. Perhaps they simply need signs attached to the posts to notify the public? Perhaps they need "costumes" that might cover the panel or camera (or BOTH).

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The Flock cameras aren't for issuing citations. They aren't for running red lights or speeding. They are simply for building a searchable database of everyone's movements...

Top Bottom