Indiana Constitutional Carry - HB1022 (2018)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Yes, he could (Pull / Table / Withdraw) if I recall thing correctly. I don't think the full swap out would have been approved done without the author's blessing;
    BUT that's just perception probably. And if he did that, yes it would kill the bill.

Seems like they don't want to have to fight ... They want a slam dunk.

The impression I got from both the meeting and a local rep I talked to was that they thought that the LE group opposition was going to cause it to fail to pass. It was very nice meeting you, and hopefully we can work on getting this done eventually.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    If Wesco and Bosma were pulling a fast-one, bait and switch... Let Wesco get challenged in November and he can take a the fall for being Bosma's minion. Nice career move there pally. Time for a new job.

I'll be glad to contribute to whomever wants to challenge Wesco in November. Lets put our efforts where it counts- in backing candidates that actually support their constituents. Get his arse voted out.

Just my :twocents:.

:ingo:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    The impression I got from both the meeting and a local rep I talked to was that they thought that the LE group opposition was going to cause it to fail to pass. It was very nice meeting you, and hopefully we can work on getting this done eventually.

Thanks - But, I think you're thinking of KellyinAvon ... I was watching but now I got a name and face of sorts! LOL :) we'll meet at one of these things.

And yes I want to see this get done. !

@BiscuitandGravy - we need to challenge Wesco and Bosma in MAY (primaries) probably.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks - But, I think you're thinking of KellyinAvon ... I was watching but now I got a name and face of sorts! LOL :) we'll meet at one of these things.

@BiscuitandGravy - we need to challenge Wesco and Bosma in MAY (primaries) probably.

You are correct, sir! The handsome devil in the Glock polo was KellyinAvon. I got the same impression as Fargo from the Rep I spoke with. It wasn't time to take a shot at the end zone. I had 5:30 of stats and debunking the "limiting public assembly = LTCH" BS ready to go, but HB 1424 was not on the table when my name was called.

With that said, RUN BILL, RUN!! Just don't tell your wife! OK, that won't end well...

Edit: thanks for the video link and "Chrome don't work" word Bill.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I'm of mind that it would have been better to let it languish in committee again or let it get voted down (in committee) (maybe) than it is to let it go forward as is. I have a theory that for many, the possession of a lifetime LTCH makes it less of an issue to go for CC. Being able to get it for free will certainly put this issue to bed for years to come, I believe.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I'm of mind that it would have been better to let it languish in committee again or let it get voted down (in committee) (maybe) than it is to let it go forward as is. I have a theory that for many, the possession of a lifetime LTCH makes it less of an issue to go for CC. Being able to get it for free will certainly put this issue to bed for years to come, I believe.

With ConCarry sweeping the nation (11 states in 7 years, most in the last 3) a lot of people will start taking notice.

Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Right. Thats the 'shiny object'. Free lifetime LTCH!!! The $$$ the LE would loose will come from somewhere else. Someone was bought off. They just didn't have the testicular fortitude to fight the good fight. Man up, if you didn't want it, say it. No- they tried to pull a fast one. Nice try skippy.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    With ConCarry sweeping the nation (12 states in 7 years) a lot of people will start taking notice.

Meh...If Indiana can hold out as long as they did with regard to daylight saving time, I'm sure they'll do fine with CC.

Yeah, I'm still pissed.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

oh, I was thinking you were the other gentleman from one of the gun organizations who introduced himself after. I had met Kelly previously. Next time, feel free to grab me and say hi.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

I said last year and the year before that we need to remove BOSMA but everyone kept saying it wasn't bosmas fault. Bosma is a rino. He is a traitor

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    emailed Bosma with this message:

Mr. Bosma,

While I am not a resident of your district, I am writing to you because of your position as Speaker of the Indiana House of Representatives. This year Representative Jim Lucas has introduced House Bill 1022. This bill would remove the requirement for law abiding residents of Indiana to obtained a License to Carry a Handgun as a prerequisite for carrying a handgun. I encourage you to bring this bill to a House vote as quickly as possible. The Indiana Constitution guarantees the right of all Hoosiers to keep and bear arms. It does not make exceptions to this guarantee and therefore, in my view Indiana's licensing laws are unconstitutional. However, obviously the public safety must be ensured. This bill would also ensure that prohibited persons which are already denied the right to carry and obtain a license would still be denied the right to carry. This denial would keep the already existing conditions under which the public and law enforcement are kept safe from prohibited persons. Obviously also criminals don't follow the law. Therefore, law enforcement must take special precautions and undergo special training to deal with such circumstances. This exists now and would exist still if HB1022 were passed into law.

Through the decades many state and federal laws have engaged in the latest gun control trends in attempts to reduce crime. They have had little effect and only made the law abiding more vulnerable. While Indiana has not participated in many of these trends, on the issue of gun licenses, Indiana has participated. It is time to return to our state's founding on this matter and return to this right guaranteed in the Indiana Constitution to all good Hoosiers. For not only does the right to keep and bear arms guarantee the individual a means to protect themselves and their families but it also encourages civic participation through awareness of the freedoms and liberties that all Americans enjoy.

Thank you

TL;DR => "You're an asshat. Get a new job."

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Thanks to Representative Lucas for all his efforts. A loyal and faithful servant to the people.

The reason why Indiana will likely never get Constitutional Carry with regard to sidearms is because there are too many people who, openly or deep down, consider it right, just and proper that we the people, the citizens, should have to apply for and obtain permission from our overlords to exercise our supposed right to bear arms - in the interest of "public safety" and/or "officer safety". This perception and belief is widespread, even among members here.
    Although it may be true in most instances of legislative arguments that "it's all about the money", that is not true on this issue, and should be seen as the unnecessary distraction that it is. The fact that some are willing to offer reduced fees for the infringement of your right should be a clue.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks to Representative Lucas for all his efforts. A loyal and faithful servant to the people.

The reason why Indiana will likely never get Constitutional Carry with regard to sidearms is because there are too many people who, openly or deep down, consider it right, just and proper that we the people, the citizens, should have to apply for and obtain permission from our overlords to exercise our supposed right to bear arms - in the interest of "public safety" and/or "officer safety". This perception and belief is widespread, even among members here.
    Although it may be true in most instances of legislative arguments that "it's all about the money", that is not true on this issue, and should be seen as the unnecessary distraction that it is. The fact that some are willing to offer reduced fees for the infringement of your right should be a clue.

Actually I'm the one who said it's about the money. With 32 years as a Fed (21.5 active duty USAF, 10+ with the VA) I will say everything is about the money when dealing with a government entity. During the Summer Study it was like pulling teeth to get to the actual dollar number, it is quite large (State level: mid-high 7 digits/year). Local departments get their cut, is this a pyramid scheme?

I made the point Wednesday concerning setting a standard for the level of training and equipping because that is in my wheelhouse. Everything becomes a bottomless pit without standard levels and resources are always scarce. I made the same point on 7 September at the Summer Study when I explained "equilibrium point" on LTCH funding (we beyond it BTW) and in.gov needed to get in front of the upcoming funding issue because the money was being used for a lot more than running the LTCH program.

Rep Lucas is the consummate professional. Whether he is asking an anti about Article 1 Section 32 or stating for the record he's holding his nose to vote; his demeanor never changes. He's doing his job as a professional. He's a serious man and it's good he's on our side.

Paraphrasing Don Rumsfeld, "You don't go to war with the Army you want, you go with the one you've got." We have more people, numbers, data, personal experience, our lawyers are better than their lawyers, t-shirts (the difference is we pay for our own.) They have hyperbole, the media (ever seen a follow-up question asked one of the Moms?) government entities with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo (its about the money).

So where do we go from here? We keep doing what we're doing.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    ...and the definition of insanity is....

Seriously, im ready to help effect change here and will celebrate the day we can drain our own little swamp. Bye bye Bosma sounds good to me.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    ...and the definition of insanity is....

Seriously, im ready to help effect change here and will celebrate the day we can drain our own little swamp. Bye bye Bosma sounds good to me.

Doing the same thing and expecting different results is insanity (although Einstein never used a Windows-based computer.) We expect the same results, just ain't got there yet. It feels like we're getting passed by glaciers, it shouldn't be this hard, and the system sucks canal water are things we can agree on. I'm saying we keep pushing for ConC, different tactics being added in the mix is something that's needed.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Doing the same thing and expecting different results is insanity (although Einstein never used a Windows-based computer.) We expect the same results, just ain't got there yet. It feels like we're getting passed by glaciers, it shouldn't be this hard, and the system sucks canal water are things we can agree on. I'm saying we keep pushing for ConC, different tactics being added in the mix is something that's needed.

For sure. It appears this 'bait and switch' deal was already done. Bosma and Co. along with Wesco screwed the ConC proponents. During summer study the issue of 'LE safety' was clearly discussed. All they had was speculation. NO data points, NO studies, NO research backing up their position of why this was bad for LE safety. Its always about the money. Money for training for equipment, etc. The lost money issue was addressed.

From how this appears it went down, it was never going to happen.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Actually I'm the one who said it's about the money. With 32 years as a Fed (21.5 active duty USAF, 10+ with the VA) I will say everything is about the money when dealing with a government entity. During the Summer Study it was like pulling teeth to get to the actual dollar number, it is quite large (State level: mid-high 7 digits/year). Local departments get their cut, is this a pyramid scheme?

I made the point Wednesday concerning setting a standard for the level of training and equipping because that is in my wheelhouse. Everything becomes a bottomless pit without standard levels and resources are always scarce. I made the same point on 7 September at the Summer Study when I explained "equilibrium point" on LTCH funding (we beyond it BTW) and in.gov needed to get in front of the upcoming funding issue because the money was being used for a lot more than running the LTCH program.

Rep Lucas is the consummate professional. Whether he is asking an anti about Article 1 Section 32 or stating for the record he's holding his nose to vote; his demeanor never changes. He's doing his job as a professional. He's a serious man and it's good he's on our side.

Paraphrasing Don Rumsfeld, "You don't go to war with the Army you want, you go with the one you've got." We have more people, numbers, data, personal experience, our lawyers are better than their lawyers, t-shirts (the difference is we pay for our own.) They have hyperbole, the media (ever seen a follow-up question asked one of the Moms?) government entities with a vested interest in maintaining the status quo (its about the money).

So where do we go from here? We keep doing what we're doing.

Thank you for your service and perspective. Don't agree on that one point, but good luck and have a nice day anyway.

Top Bottom