• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    You don’t observe a drunk driver every day, but you DO see distracted drivers every day. Points for distracted driving makes sense. I may be a bit biased after being rear ended, while motionless, at a stop light, by a woman who was texting.
    i had a guy tbone me while he ran a red light. he was checking fb. his insurance refused to pay. at the time, insurance didn't have to pay if they could prove the insures was driving distracted (don't know if that's still the case). it took 2 yrs and several court appearances to get my insurance company to pay me.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    i had a guy tbone me while he ran a red light. he was checking fb. his insurance refused to pay. at the time, insurance didn't have to pay if they could prove the insures was driving distracted (don't know if that's still the case). it took 2 yrs and several court appearances to get my insurance company to pay me.

Not sure how that would work? The state requires liability insurance to cover others losses caused by the insured. They may not cover the insured but, by law, they must cover others. Then if the insured has a lien, they also must cover that.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    You think you are, but nobody can talk on a phone and drive with the same level of concentration as they can without. That reduced attention can be the difference.

People can drive fine after drinking a little too. Except the alcohol reduces their attention and their reaction time. Thus increasing the chances of something bad happening.
    Are you really trying to compare being on a hands free device to the equivalent of drunk driving?. That's a asinine comparison.

By using this thought process people must have a device placed upon their heads to prevent speaking to a passenger in the vehicle, hands must be super glued to the wheel and cup holders no longer placed in vehicles.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This brings us back full circle doesn't it?

Lawyers benefit monumentally from distracted driving, and how much influence do they have on state laws?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK we need to slow down and either take a deep breath or not post here anymore.

Yes it does reduce your ability's when talking to anybody but a phone seems to be a laser pointer to "SOME" people.
    I used to think I was one of those that could multi task when younger but as time creeps up on me I will avoid using the phone while I am driving.
    And mostly because this current crop of drivers suck. Period. Phone/no phone it matters not. If the in dash GPS tells them to take this exit they will. All the way across 3 lanes of traffic no worry's as they are going for it.
    GPS says do this or that and they miss it......OK lets just stop here in the middle of the street and back up. Yes I see this crap all the time. People have lost the ability to be patient and observe right of way when its due. Not all of them but just enough to **** it up for the rest of us.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Are you really trying to compare being on a hands free device to the equivalent of drunk driving?. That's a asinine comparison.

By using this thought process people must have a device placed upon their heads to prevent speaking to a passenger in the vehicle, hands must be super glued to the wheel and cup holders no longer placed in vehicles.

Come on here. Drunk driving is an attention and focus issue and most studies of distracted driving do compare to the various levels of impairment.

It was explained that direct communications in a vehicle with a passenger present have other nuance that phone calls do not and deeper concentration is required for calls.

Actually, when I dig down to the real reason those that don't like roundabouts are so put off by them, it is the fact they must drive and can't do anything else, no stops to FB at, no place to take both hands off the wheel, etc. Our amazing cars, awesome roads, (I know some need repair, but compared to 50 years ago...) make driving so easy, idiots do it...

rthatchjr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    I miss the old days, jerks with newspapers open while doing 60 in a 35 and women putting makeup on in the visor mirror, doing 70 in a school zone so she and the kids are on time.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    GPS says do this or that and they miss it......OK lets just stop here in the middle of the street and back up. Yes I see this crap all the time. People have lost the ability to be patient and observe right of way when its due. Not all of them but just enough to **** it up for the rest of us.
    People have no clue how right of way works. I cannot count how many people I have seen try to turn left before an oncoming car gets through the intersection.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    People have no clue how right of way works. I cannot count how many people I have seen try to turn left before an oncoming car gets through the intersection.
    I saw this 2 times in my short trip to the parts store.
    1 time it was me in a round about stabbing the brakes to avoid Tee-Boning and idiot in a roundabout. Looking right at me and proceeds slowly in front of me. She became very animated at me assuming I was at fault.

The times I want to slap people male/female is increasing daily.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I saw this 2 times in my short trip to the parts store.
    1 time it was me in a round about stabbing the brakes to avoid Tee-Boning and idiot in a roundabout. Looking right at me and proceeds slowly in front of me. She became very animated at me assuming I was at fault.

The times I want to slap people male/female is increasing daily.
    Thankfully I work from home full time now. Before the covid nonsense I would drive 56 miles each way to Chicago for work. :n00b:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    We are covering all kinds of territory.

1. I oppose manufacturing pre-crime. Human beings are not standardized products and should not be legally restricted to the level of performance of the lowest common denominator. This works it way eventually to some people can't walk and chew gum therefore it should be illegal for anyone to walk and chew gum. Punish people for wrong actually done. Don't try to regulate which hand we use to unzip when we pass.

2. Roundabouts. If you want them on your local streets, great. Keep the stupid ****ing pieces of **** off the highways. Not everyone drives a small car.

3. Right of way. This apparent reason for prolific use of the stupidest invention ever applied to a road (i.e., a roundabout) is the number of people who can't comprehend right of way.

4. Distraction. You can outlaw talking, texting, fiddling with the radio, eating, or picking noses. Now, let's see you try to outlaw daydreaming. So then, do we **** with people over a list of potential distractions longer than my arm or apply suitable penalties when they actually cause harm?

5. Why don't we just skip to one of the favorite leftist wet dreams and eliminate private motor vehicles altogether? After all, that is where this is leading.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    2. Roundabouts. If you want them on your local streets, great. Keep the stupid ****ing pieces of **** off the highways. Not everyone drives a small car.
    Roundabout's the single stupidest thing ever thought of in any states or local D.O.T., especially on a State Highway's like east pf Mooresville on 144 @ 5 points. Let's plop a roundabout here so small that in order for even Trucks with small trailer ride up on the curb of it. Or like in Plainfield @ Hadley Road and Old 267 where it's so small school buses have issues with it
    because rear axles of school buses have to be driven over it.

All the responsibility of brainchild C.E.I.'s

(College Educated Idiot's)

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We are covering all kinds of territory.

1. I oppose manufacturing pre-crime. Human beings are not standardized products and should not be legally restricted to the level of performance of the lowest common denominator. This works it way eventually to some people can't walk and chew gum therefore it should be illegal for anyone to walk and chew gum. Punish people for wrong actually done. Don't try to regulate which hand we use to unzip when we pass.

3. Right of way. This apparent reason for prolific use of the stupidest invention ever applied to a road (i.e., a roundabout) is the number of people who can't comprehend right of way.

4. Distraction. You can outlaw talking, texting, fiddling with the radio, eating, or picking noses. Now, let's see you try to outlaw daydreaming. So then, do we **** with people over a list of potential distractions longer than my arm or apply suitable penalties when they actually cause harm?

5. Why don't we just skip to one of the favorite leftist wet dreams and eliminate private motor vehicles altogether? After all, that is where this is leading.

A good book that covers each of your points and more....

Amazon product ASIN 0062741969
    Well worth the read....or the listen if you do audible books on road trips.

Top Bottom