• ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Absolutely right! All distracted driving is the problem, the phone is just obvious.

There needs to be large fines for proven distracted driving. A few multi thousand dollar fines issued would drastically eliminate the problem, for those of us who pay the bills anyway.

$2-3k fine for distracted driving. Driving privileges suspended until payment is made.
    Thank goodness no one ever drives on a suspended license....

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm sorry about your passenger. It's not my concern. I don't care if they are entertained or not. I do care about my son or daughter doing the right thing getting T-boned by some dim wit taking a selfie to post on face book.
    What else can we restrict or ban to "save the children?"

And cell phones aren't just for entertainment. One would think that would be obvious.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    What about people connected by bluetooth or vehicle systems to their phone? Passed one today doing about 45 in the left lane (speed limit 60), earpiece/mic in ear with mouth moving and both hands flying around to emphasize their verbal point!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What about people connected by bluetooth or vehicle systems to their phone? Passed one today doing about 45 in the left lane (speed limit 60), earpiece/mic in ear with mouth moving and both hands flying around to emphasize their verbal point!
    Talking on a phone is distracting, period. It is less distracting than texting. Putting the phone down to talk doesn't really help much except to free up that hand. Sadly, most people do not seem to put both hands on the wheel to begin with.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    As much as I hate most restrictions by the state concerning driving, I 100% agree with this.
    You, along with others that have a CDL, (held one till my health issues) have been hands free for eons. I had no issues or now connecting through my stereo. I agree with this also and think all un-attentive driving should result in a pointable offense.

When the masses who violate the this law start to fear losing there license, their mindset will change dramatically.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Absolutely right! All distracted driving is the problem, the phone is just obvious.

There needs to be large fines for proven distracted driving. A few multi thousand dollar fines issued would drastically eliminate the problem, for those of us who pay the bills anyway.

$2-3k fine for distracted driving. Driving privileges suspended until payment is made.

Again, a punishment that really only affects working people, the poor will not pay and the rich don't care...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Again, a punishment that really only affects working people, the poor will not pay and the rich don't care...
    The "poor" will pay to get their driving privileges back or walk.

The "rich" mostly didn't make their money by throwing it away. There always can be habitual penalties tacked on anyway.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What else can we restrict or ban to "save the children?"

And cell phones aren't just for entertainment. One would think that would be obvious.

You just hit on a great point missed by many here. Yes, I realize there are plenty of the stereotype entertainment/book of faces drivers texting, but there are many trying to make a living that must use their phone to navigate and connect for their business.

This is a stupid law that affects those that cannot afford the new cars that have all this built into the screen. I do not believe the distraction is less for built in or cradled phones than one in your hand. If you argue it is then shouldn't eating fries and a Big Mac also be illegal? Almost got hit by an obese woman stuffing her face with fast food last week...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That is just not how the system works, so I have been told by those that function in it...
    Of course not. None of this works without enforcement.

From patrols to catch the problem, like we do with the drunk driving fed money. To the legal end of the issue with the BMV and prosecutors actually following up.

Much like the feel-good left lane lurker "law." It's nice to have, but not effective without enforcement.

We, as a state have to make this a priority, if we expect to have anything done about it.

Just turn on your police scanner app to find out how much extra time the cops have for enforcing traffic violations.

When was the last time you seen anyone pulled over for failure to signal?

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    This is a stupid law that affects those that cannot afford the new cars that have all this built into the screen. I do not believe the distraction is less for built in or cradled phones than one in your hand. If you argue it is then shouldn't eating fries and a Big Mac also be illegal? Almost got hit by an obese woman stuffing her face with fast food last week...
    You do not need a new car or even a new radio installed to avoid this.

A simple purchase of a cheap $40.00 blue tooth ear piece or a cheap wirwless adapter to use through your current radio will work just fine.

Eating food is a whole lot different than a person who wanders off into zombie land while in a detailed discussion.

I guess you need to grace the seat of a Big Truck and get a real bird's eye view of these distracted drivers to gain a different outlook.

When I had my CDL, I had more issues with people on their phones than all others COMBINED. At least once a day I shoud have been thanked for not killing someone because they did something stupid beside or in front of me while on a phone.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You do not need a new car or even a new radio installed to avoid this.

A simple purchase of a cheap $40.00 blue tooth ear piece or a cheap wirwless adapter to use through your current radio will work just fine.

Eating food is a whole lot different than a person who wanders off into zombie land while in a detailed discussion.

I guess you need to grace the seat of a Big Truck and get a real bird's eye view of these distracted drivers to gain a different outlook.

When I had my CDL, I had more issues with people on their phones than all others COMBINED. At least once a day I shoud have been thanked for not killing someone because they did something stupid beside or in front of me while on a phone.
    Do you really think idiots with their heads in a screen being held up for them are going to be any less dangerous than idiots with their heads in a screen while holding the screen in their hands?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Of course not. None of this works without enforcement.

From patrols to catch the problem, like we do with the drunk driving fed money. To the legal end of the issue with the BMV and prosecutors actually following up.

Much like the feel-good left lane lurker "law." It's nice to have, but not effective without enforcement.

We, as a state have to make this a priority, if we expect to have anything done about it.

Just turn on your police scanner app to find out how much extra time the cops have for enforcing traffic violations.

When was the last time you seen anyone pulled over for failure to signal?
    I was pulled over for failure to signal about 2 weeks ago. Pretty sure I did too. I turned right onto the highway into the near lane, using my signal. Moved to the left lane, where he said I failed to signal. Then moved into a left turn lane, using my signal. Turned left, using my signal. It was one of those fishing expeditions. Wanted to play 20 questions, I didn't. He let me go with a warning.

That is what this law is, just another excuse for officers to pull people over on fishing expeditions. We have enough of that as it is.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Do you really think idiots with their heads in a screen being held up for them are going to be any less dangerous than idiots with their heads in a screen while holding the screen in their hands?
    I don't think you understand, there is no screen that has to be held up, with the radio adapter all you have to do is hit a pre tuned station on the radio.
    Use your phones ability to awnser hands free with Google, Siri or the supplied app.

With a blue tooth headset, all you have to do is tap the button on the headset.

No need to take you eyes off the road.

I have not had a phone in my hand while driving for over 8 years, I used a Blue Parrot headset in the Big truck I drove and my personal vehicle until I bought my current SUV and put a Bluetooth enable stereo in it when I bought is almost 4 years ago.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Why would you have your head in a screen to make a phone call in your car? Bluetooth is pretty common in all recent cars. I just push a button on my steering wheel and say "Call Bob." The phone calls Bob. I talk to Bob. I press a button on the steering wheel to hang up when I'm done. My phone doesn't even need to be out. It can be in the console or the glove box.

Top Bottom