• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles on Thursday started adding points to records under the state’s hands-free driving law.

The law took effect July 1, 2020, and makes it illegal for drivers to have cellphones in their hands while driving.

Since the law went into effect, more than 5,400 citations and 10,000 warnings have been issued.

According to the state government’s Indiana Criminal Justice Institute, distracted driving associated with cellphones factored into more than 1,200 crashes in 2019.

Officials say it’s going to take everyone working together to put an end to distracted driving.

Devon McDonald, executive director of the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute, said Thursday, “A person wouldn’t get into the car with an impaired driver just like they wouldn’t drive impaired themselves. We need to think the same way from a cultural perspective with the hands-free law.”

The federal National Transportation Safety Board says states with hands-free driving laws have seen a nearly 20% decrease in traffic deaths within two years of passing the law.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    You don’t observe a drunk driver every day, but you DO see distracted drivers every day. Points for distracted driving makes sense. I may be a bit biased after being rear ended, while motionless, at a stop light, by a woman who was texting.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You don’t observe a drunk driver every day, but you DO see distracted drivers every day. Points for distracted driving makes sense. I may be a bit biased after being rear ended, while motionless, at a stop light, by a woman who was texting.
    Just yesterday as I was leaving Kroger, I was getting ready to back out of my parking space and there was a lady in an SUV sloooooowly pulling into the space next to me, and then she just paused, partially blocking me from pulling out. When she finally pulled into her space enough for me to back out I looked over and sure enough... face buried in her phone, completely oblivious to the fact that I was sitting there (with my reverse lights on) waiting on her.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Why don't they just manufacture the phones to shut off at a certain speed?
    I think they do make an app/apps that will disable your phone while driving, but it's a self-imposed thing though. I guess it's for people that don't have the willpower to leave their phone alone on their own. :rolleyes:

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I agree, but I don't think the lesson has been learned by most. Very common to see phones in both hands on top of the wheel.
    Right, maybe points on their license will help get the point across. I'm sure with all that extra revenue for drivings with points, the insurance companies will lower rates on us good folks.

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    If insurance companies stopped paying claims when a crash occurs and the cell phone was in use, this would come to an end real fast.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If insurance companies stopped paying claims when a crash occurs and the cell phone was in use, this would come to an end real fast.

That will work! Yep, the huge percentage of the population that has nothing, that we force to buy insurance so when they hit us we don't have to bear the entire cost, would really be hurt by such a plan. They would go from having nothing to having nothing more...

That would actually only affect a small group, likely our group, as stated the poor have nothing to lose and the wealthy don't care...

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    I'm sorry about your passenger. It's not my concern. I don't care if they are entertained or not. I do care about my son or daughter doing the right thing getting T-boned by some dim wit taking a selfie to post on face book.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I'm sorry about your passenger. It's not my concern. I don't care if they are entertained or not. I do care about my son or daughter doing the right thing getting T-boned by some dim wit taking a selfie to post on face book.
    Are you arguing for limitations on goods rather than increased individual responsibility for committing crimes when the devices themselves are not actually responsible (i.e. they function correctly)? Why should the fundamental limits of a device be restricted when their normal function isn't directly causal?

Adding points increases the penalty to encourage lawful behavior. If that still doesn't work... well, we always need people to pick up trash in public parks/highway from other careless people, we can start tacking mandatory community service onto it.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Because no one was ever distracted by the radio, or their kids, or their big mac, or their ... I think you get the picture. And have you seen the "infotainment" systems in new cars? Most with touch based controls? Never mind I have a mount for my phone such that it provides the navigation and music duties while in my vehicles. Taking an iron fist approach is rarely a good solution. Penalizing the offenders will reduce the problem but nothing will eliminate it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Because no one was ever distracted by the radio, or their kids, or their big mac, or their ... I think you get the picture. And have you seen the "infotainment" systems in new cars? Most with touch based controls? Never mind I have a mount for my phone such that it provides the navigation and music duties while in my vehicles. Taking an iron fist approach is rarely a good solution. Penalizing the offenders will reduce the problem but nothing will eliminate it.
    Absolutely right! All distracted driving is the problem, the phone is just obvious.

There needs to be large fines for proven distracted driving. A few multi thousand dollar fines issued would drastically eliminate the problem, for those of us who pay the bills anyway.

$2-3k fine for distracted driving. Driving privileges suspended until payment is made.

Top Bottom