• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Meet analogs have been around for centuries. Tofu has been around for > 1000 years. There’s not a problem with them per se.

Lots of people eat them because of legitimate dietary restrictions. My dental hygienist who has a lot of autoimmune issues is allergic to meat. Not all meat. Just the good ones, lol. So she supplements with meat analogs.

I know someone who eats them because the Dr told him to dial down the red meats because of a heart condition. To Hough’s point, that’s not necessarily healthier. But the harm done isn’t directly related to his condition.

Also some people have religious dietary restrictions. They eat them too. They’re not evil.

What’s evil, and a bit nutty, is the push to make everyone replace meat with analogs. And this is a similar issue with EV’s. In both cases TPTB are pushing governments to require people replace what they want or need, with something most people don’t want or need. But, people attack the product, that some people find useful, instead of the nutty idea of imposing a product on oeople who don’t want it. Be free. If you want to eat fake meat, or drive an EV, whatever. Just don’t limit my choices so I’m stuck with yours.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    People who are committed vegans or vegetarians and are the least bit educated on the subject know that super-processed, reconstituted meat substitutes designed to mimic meat are not healthier than meat. Further, they know that they aren't really "better for the environment" or any such drivel.

The "Impossible Burger" and its like are aimed at: 1) low-information band wagon jumpers more interested in what they can appear to be and what they can claim to be rather than actual health or actual benefit for the earth, 2) making it appear that veganism means giving up nothing....which is absurd, but most of all, 3) making money, which it is also proving to be horrible at.

The low information folks from #1 are learning that they can just lie about being vegan.
    I agree with all three. And, if the fake meat products fail, it doesn't mean the low information folks have learned something, they just went on to other fads. It's what they do.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -Snip-
    What’s evil, and a bit nutty, is the push to make everyone replace meat with analogs. And this is a similar issue with EV’s. In both cases TPTB are pushing governments to require people replace what they want or need, with something most people don’t want or need. But, people attack the product, that some people find useful, instead of the nutty idea of imposing a product on oeople who don’t want it. -Snip-
    The attacks on the products are because the powers that be are pushing to mandate them for everybody.

In the political arena, one of the ONLY tools to politically ward off a stupid government mandate is to attack the "object" of the mandate to discredit it.

This helps build a big enough wave of public disapproval so the elected officials will stop pushing it for fear of what will happen at election time.
    Cynical? Yes.
    But a reality of our times in a country divided.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm not a vegan, and have no plans to be a vegan, but there is some pretty compelling evidence that suggest it is by far the best overall diet (as in food consumption, not weight loss) for cardiac health.

I do veggie burgers pretty often because I like burgers but red meat destroys my stomach. It sure doesn't taste the same but it's as close as I can get. If the impossible meat stuff really tastes like meat I'll be all over it.
    Ban Mbills

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The attacks on the products are because the powers that be are pushing to mandate them for everybody.

In the political arena, one of the ONLY tools to politically ward off a stupid government mandate is to attack the "object" of the mandate to discredit it.

This helps build a big enough wave of public disapproval so the elected officials will stop pushing it for fear of what will happen at election time.
    Cynical? Yes.
    But a reality of our times in a country divided.
    Which is pretty much what I said. But, attacking the object goes against the people who chooses it for their own reasons that have nothing to do with the reasons for trying to mandate it. I think it's better to attack the idea and the idiots pushing stupid ideas.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Which is pretty much what I said. But, attacking the object goes against the people who chooses it for their own reasons that have nothing to do with the reasons for trying to mandate it. I think it's better to attack the idea and the idiots pushing stupid ideas.
    Yes, you did pretty much say this.

I was only trying to add a reason for why attacks and discrediting the "object" itself of the mandate are a necessary evil in our present authoritarian political world as a main way to resist these mandates.

Using your example, meat substitute products have been around for as long as I can remember.
    Individuals have been free to choose whether to eat them or not, which is the way it should be.
    THEN politics got involved...

The anti-meat crowd got the government involved and began political pressure to mandate meat substitutes, in part by claiming they're "healthier" for us, so why have real meat anyway?
    THIS made it necessary to attack the claim that meat substitute products are "healthier" for us.

Just like with battery powered vehicles.
    As long as the auto makers were free to decide what to produce, based on what their customers wanted, and politics stayed out of it, things were fine.

Then the government got involved and decreed mandates that the automakers MUST switch over to battery powered vehicles, and the government would use taxpayer dollars to build charging stations, instead of allowing the private market to decide where and how charging stations were built based on the present service station business model.

SO now, because of the mandate, battery powered vehicles need to be discredited as a means to stop the mandates and let us each decide what we want to drive.
    (I'll add that I think battery powered vehicles for general all purpose transportation are a dumb and inferior idea, that under the govetnment's model will eventually force everybody away from personal transportation vehicles towards government buses and mass transit, especially for traveling out of town)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Probably it’s the methane produced by all the consumers as opposed to the methane produced by the cows that normal people consume.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "Beyond Meet (ing profit goals)"

I'm slightly curious, but not enough to actually look into it, if they are still raising capital and if so who's still willing to shovel money into that fire. The energy needs are apparently rather high, so rising energy prices will further erode their ability to turn a profit even if they can gain market share.

Costco had Beyond Meat burger patty samples today. It smells absolutely terrible when cooking. I found it unpleasant enough I moved away from the area while my wife shopped for something else in the aisle nearby. I did not see anyone try it. I noted that black bean burgers, which are quite good, were back in the spot where Beyond Meat had briefly displaced them.

I'm not sure how to describe it, but "food-like" would not enter the arena, even as a spectator. If any actual food I was cooking smelled like that, I'd toss it as tainted or spoiled.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Costco had Beyond Meat burger patty samples today. It smells absolutely terrible when cooking. I found it unpleasant enough I moved away from the area while my wife shopped for something else in the aisle nearby. I did not see anyone try it. I noted that black bean burgers, which are quite good, were back in the spot where Beyond Meat had briefly displaced them.

I'm not sure how to describe it, but "food-like" would not enter the arena, even as a spectator. If any actual food I was cooking smelled like that, I'd toss it as tainted or spoiled.
    Fortunately, none of those imitation products enter our house. They've never even been considered as edible for us.
    Vegetables are not burgers; they are patties at best.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Exactly.

"You are using too much carbon. You need to conserve." (paraphrased) Al Gore.

Meanwhile his estate uses more water than a golf course (or two), and more electricity than a small neighborhood. But nevermind that... Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. :rolleyes:
    Yep, and he's amounted $300,000,000.00 with his scheme. Not a bad haul for a dim-witted dunce.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I accidentally tried a non burger at Red Robin.
    Waitress asked how it was.
    I told her I might as well eat hay.
    That's when I found out I should read The menu better

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I accidentally tried a non burger at Red Robin.
    Waitress asked how it was.
    I told her I might as well eat hay.
    That's when I found out I should read The menu better
    I was at a BK in Indianapolis and they gave me one instead of a regular burger, though I had ordered the normal one. I did not know this. Took one bite,and it tasted so bad I took it to the counter and asked what was wrong with their beef. Girl behind the counter said "oh sorry,we are out of the regular patties and have to use those". I got my money back,asked the manager if he was aware they could kill someone with a soy allergy. He replied "I guess we have to let people know"

I ate at Ruby Tuesdays after that.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Someone help me understand the impossible burger. Apparently this thing is supposed to taste like a real hamburger but is made of vegetables (or some other "plants").

My question is why.

If you want "plants" then eat plants.

If you want a burger, then eat a burger.

If you have the eating disorder of vegetarianism and are "craving" a burger then that is probably your body telling you that you need the nutrients provided by delicious beef.

Seriously, what marketing genius decided this was worth the money to make and then spend more money on advertising. What was the purpose? Virtue signaling? Warping reality?

As an aside, what is the revenue from the sales of the fake burgers and fake sausage? [insert high school joke here]
    I have eaten a couple before. Not bad.

My GF is a pescatarian so will get one if there is no other choice.

I went carnivore and have lost about 40 pounds so far which is the best thing you can do for your health, lose weight that is.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have eaten a couple before. Not bad.

My GF is a pescatarian so will get one if there is no other choice.

I went carnivore and have lost about 40 pounds so far which is the best thing you can do for your health, lose weight that is.

I will not touch one out of principle. If I want vegetables, I'll order vegetables without the processing and additives. :D

Carnivore, apparently, has some other positive benefits also. Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan (among many others) have reported auto immune diseases that have been significantly improved on the carnivore diet. Also, Jordan Peterson's daughter has some earth shattering improvements in her health due to the carnivore diet.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Sorry for jacking the carbon thread, but I cooked some up for a vegetarian and tried one. I don't remember who the vegetarian was, but I remember the burger wasn't bad.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

If you absolutely have to have a "vegetarian" burger, black bean burgers with the right seasoning can be really good. And they don't smell bad. I was on a restricted diet for awhile and they're not bad. All that other ****. Nah.

Top Bottom