• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I read he was followed by IMPD (I presume working security for the mall??). Confronted about weapon on property, ran, apprehended and charged with possession of machine gun. One down, a city left to go. Although I wonder if he'll be prosecuted by state or fed. Or both.
    it all depends on his/her/them's pronouns

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info.

I guess my question is that if the Glock switch "automatic machinegun" criminals are not prosecuted for having and or using these switches, why wouldn't they just do it again? Are they doing it again, or do we even have a way to know?

they keep doing it until somebody puts them down for their dirt nap.

i see it over here all the time.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    The Politics forum may be more appropriate for your speculation rather than this Carry Issues and Self Defense forum?

:twocents:
    i see his observation as very serious carry issue as well as a self defense issue.

we ,the average citizens, have to deal with the idiots running around here as much, and easily arguably more so than the "justice" system.

i personally have been threatened by the same criminals that the system plead their charges down to misdemeanors and put them back in my hood for me to del with.

the first thing they do is get a firearm and continue on with their mayhem.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I read he was followed by IMPD (I presume working security for the mall??). Confronted about weapon on property, ran, apprehended and charged with possession of machine gun. One down, a city left to go. Although I wonder if he'll be prosecuted by state or fed. Or both.

I'm iffy on how they had probable cause to chase after someone who was leaving the mall. We have specific case law in this state, carrying is NOT probable cause and carrying in the mall is NOT a crime.

Anyway, dummy turned literally not a crime into a possible 10 year federal sentence. He'd have been better off with an eightball in his pocket.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    So, are you getting repeat glock switch offenders, since the penalty is so weak or not even there? Why would a thug not carry a glock switch?

I know that Mycase shows the individual arrested for one at the mall on the 21st was released the 22nd on bond. Probably has another at home waiting on him.

It's still pretty early into this trend for repeat offenders, considering how long it takes in Marion County to get a conviction. If you get one at all. Feds will cherry pick the slam dunk cases, rest will stay local and plea down to BS.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm iffy on how they had probable cause to chase after someone who was leaving the mall. We have specific case law in this state, carrying is NOT probable cause and carrying in the mall is NOT a crime.

Anyway, dummy turned literally not a crime into a possible 10 year federal sentence. He'd have been better off with an eightball in his pocket.
    Likely they had an agreement with Simon to trespass on their behalf. The officers are acting as agents of the property. That allows officers to stop those who are violating Simon Property rules and kick them out.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    That has been an argument for decades..you get less time for murder and more time as a drug dealer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Good point. I hadn't considered that. I suppose there is the possibility the leo could visibly see the MGCD attached to the gun?? That would probably qualify probable cause. But I don't know that is what happened. Just speculating.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Good point. I hadn't considered that. I suppose there is the possibility the leo could visibly see the MGCD attached to the gun?? That would probably qualify probable cause. But I don't know that is what happened. Just speculating.
    Seems to me like private mall cops can't chase after people, so I'm not sure why off duty cops acting as private mall cops get to. Kinda smells like "he's running so he must be guilty of something".

If I was his lawyer that's the angle I'd be working. Because he's pretty boned otherwise.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Seems to me like private mall cops can't chase after people, so I'm not sure why off duty cops acting as private mall cops get to. Kinda smells like "he's running so he must be guilty of something".

If I was his lawyer that's the angle I'd be working. Because he's pretty boned otherwise.

There is likely a written agreement between IMPD and Simon Property that gives IMPD the authority to act on their behalf, as ther agents when it comes to trespassing, etc. This means the officers can remove whomever they want from the property and they do not need the property manager to do it. IMPD has probably a hundred such agreements throughout the city between IMPD and apartment complexes and other private businesses. They've been around for a couple of decades and challenged in court. They hold up.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Likely they had an agreement with Simon to trespass on their behalf. The officers are acting as agents of the property. That allows officers to stop those who are violating Simon Property rules and kick them out.
    Another reason to NOT go to a Simon mall, like I need one.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Drop-in full auto sears for the AR15 platform and the Glock switches. Those are what we are seeing more of. Glock switches are the vast majority though.
    Q: Are most of these of metal manufacture or are they something done on a 3-D printer
    (more specifically, the Glock switches) due to the rise in use of 3-D printers?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

You act like this only happens at that mall. This is common all over. Normally here it is apartment complexes that hire us for off duty security and a few businesses. There are simply stipulations given on who they want and don't want on the property and the officer acts as an agent of the business or apartment complex to give trespass warnings (or trespass arrests if the warning is violated).

More common around here, though, is simply a business (or home/property owner) calling us to come and have someone given a trespass warning. In this case we would issue the warning to the person at the address or locate the person and write them the warning.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If one avoids going to the mall because they don't like the fact that the cops have the authority to trespass them, maybe it's for the best for everybody if they just stay home. I don't even go to malls anymore, but I can't see how these kind of potential troublemakers being absent from the property is anything but a net positive for people who just want to shop.

I have never, not once in my life, been worried about being trespassed from a shopping venue.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Why? Because IMPD officers at the mall? They are not an issue.
    @Denny347 @Route 45 and others. I initially was going to expound more on the "why" of my comment, but was INGO'ing during a break. Sooooo... :ranton:

My objection is not the LEO's working a contract for a property owner. My objections are more about the security theater aspect of the arrangement, and the actions which the private contract with the property owner permits that (as I understand it) would not be permissible for the LEO in public under Pinner "on the clock" for their primary employer.

For context I also object to the TSA (I was / am "in the business" and was at the time it was instituted). The TSA is security theater. It is better than the theater of what Simon Malls is doing, but it is still security theater. If Simon actually wants to "do something" which actually has some real effect then trap gates, metal detectors / scanners, pat downs, and random checks would need to be instituted. Those, actually somewhat effective measures, are of course offensive to most of Simon Properties customers so they will not be instituted.

The problem is NEVER the firearm, it is the behavior of the sentient being holding it. Removing customers means of self defense doesn't solve the problem of predatory feral humans with little regard for the lives of others.

Simon Properties is within their rights as property owners to contract the LEOs, and I am confident the LEOs are working in compliance with the law. That does not change my assessment that what Simon Properties is doing is not effective enough to make visiting their properties any more palatable. In fact their actions have made their properties less appealing to me.

The GPM event is the perfect example of why Simon Properties no firearms policy is bad. It does not stop bad actors, but does inhibit good actors. That skews the cost / benefit ratio in the bad actors direction.

Will I go to a Simon Property, probably, but it will be near the bottom of my options to get something I need or want. In today's economy, that is not to their benefit as they need all the business they can get.

In the most recent news piece on the two bad actors, one with an untaxed and unlawful (GCA / Hughes Amdt) giggle switch highlights the issue from my perspective. In the absence of actual bad acts, they were just two citizens bearing arms (yes, felon in possession [Shall not be infringed]). Functionally however; how many potential Mr. Dickens will not carry their firearm now, raising the risk for all patrons when the feral human which was not detected decides to attack his rival in a crowded public mall? The officer at the other end of the mall won't stop it as fast as the patron who could have been armed (but now is not) and was just feet away. (when seconds count...)

Please do not assume I am anti-LEO (I am not, in fact quite a supporter), or anti-property rights (I have tolerated quite a bit in respect of others property rights), I am however; willing to take a stand on items I consider wrong. Not unlawful, not unethical, just wrong in my opinion in a limited government Republic.

In this regard I consider it wrong for the property owner to skew the ratio of good actors vs. bad actors who will be armed on their property via less than effective measures. I also consider it wrong for a LEO to be enabled to violate the intent of Pinner solely because they are working under a contract for a private entity, as their authority under the State's laws is being used for the purpose.

:ranton:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    for a LEO to be enabled to violate the intent of Pinner solely because they are working under a contract for a private entity, as their authority under the State's laws is being used for the purpose.
    So LEO can't use simple gun possession for probable cause while patrolling the street, but can use it when working security at a private venue? That does seem counterintuitive. Again, I haven't read enough of this particular story to know what exactly was visible to the officer. I wouldn't think a 'bulge' would be enough reason, for in-house security or LEO, to stop and investigate the individual. I understand why the mall property owners are sensitive to security issues though. They've taken a beating in the press re: guns and violence at mall properties, here of late.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    So LEO can't use simple gun possession for probable cause while patrolling the street, but can use it when working security at a private venue? That does seem counterintuitive. Again, I haven't read enough of this particular story to know what exactly was visible to the officer. I wouldn't think a 'bulge' would be enough reason, for in-house security or LEO, to stop and investigate the individual. I understand why the mall property owners are sensitive to security issues though. They've taken a beating in the press re: guns and violence at mall properties, here of late.
    The difference is private property vs public property

Top Bottom