• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Right, but Denny is mentioning that without LTCH requirement and or stolen guns, a lot of criminals cannot be arrested/charged. I'm just wondering if possession of the switch alone is enough of a crime for arrest and prosecution?
    Just having the switch, not affixed to a gun, is nothing. If it is affixed to a gun, it is Possession of a Machine Gun and is a level 5 felony. In the Federal world, just having a switch is prosecutable but unless the possessor has a significant criminal record, the Feds won't touch it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...what DOES happen to those switch bearers? Its a federal charge. Are the feds even prosecuting? Are our prosecutors able to nail them? (not like they presently do care at all)

This is the question.

The Feds are trying to scare the :poop: out of law abiding folks over threatened NFA violations, while attempting to move the goalposts on braces.

Are the Feds prosecuting all glock switch possession as NFA violations? Do the locals get the violators to the feds?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just having the switch, not affixed to a gun, is nothing. If it is affixed to a gun, it is Possession of a Machine Gun and is a level 5 felony. In the Federal world, just having a switch is prosecutable but unless the possessor has a significant criminal record, the Feds won't touch it.

Thanks for the real world info!

What happens if a glock switch is found on a person, but not afixed to a gun. Do they get to keep the switch, without any recourse?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    And when enough has been collected, the feds come pick them up and then turned over to the CIA. CIA then strikes a deal with the drug cartels, receives payment and it starts all over again..

This is a serious thread about actual local issues, my friend. These fine IMPD officers graciously volunteer their first hand knowledge of the subject.

The Politics forum may be more appropriate for your speculation rather than this Carry Issues and Self Defense forum?

:twocents:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Right, but Denny is mentioning that without LTCH requirement and or stolen guns, a lot of criminals cannot be arrested/charged. I'm just wondering if possession of the switch alone is enough of a crime for arrest and prosecution?
    While I get it in other threads and my own municipal LE experience the only time a charge of Carrying without a LTCHP back in the day was if they were getting arrested on other charges. At least where I was.

As far as constitutional carry I’d like to see the Vermont stats. That was one of my issues with Doug Carter as ISP SUP. He acted like a LTCH was so helpful to catch criminals but I’m sure Vermont has caught criminals with their permitless carry since they’ve done it for 40 plus years.

Not by any means knocking a line Trooper or any other LE but if after a contact all you have is a LTC violation it seems sort of a weak cause of reasonable suspicion.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    There is no Indiana law that criminalizes the possession of a switch NOT installed on a pistol.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Thinking the same thing. during a drive by, folks on the 2nd and 3rd floors quickly become collateral damage even though the target was on the sidewalk. :):

And what DOES happen to those switch bearers? Its a federal charge. Are the feds even prosecuting? Are our prosecutors able to nail them? (not like they presently do care at all)
    Feds don't bother. Our prosecutor will charge but it's only a level 5 felony...big whoop.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    They are probably too tied up worrying about millions of law abiding citizens with legally purchased evil braced pistols to put any effort into charging actual thugs with ****ing machine guns on our streets.
    You are conflating the ATF with the USADA. We have our own Federalized detectives that are capable of presenting cases to the USADA for charges, THEY determine if they will even bother. We don't need the ATF to do that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There is no Indiana law that criminalizes the possession of a switch NOT installed on a pistol.
    Feds don't bother. Our prosecutor will charge but it's only a level 5 felony...big whoop.

So, are you getting repeat glock switch offenders, since the penalty is so weak or not even there? Why would a thug not carry a glock switch?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Local police officers enforcing federal law. Gee, that’s reassuring.
    I'm glad you brought this up first. It's my thought every time I hear "fusion", "multi-agency task force" or "our federal partners". I'm sure much of it is predicated on allocation of funds. Or said another way, local forces/gov sucking the feds teat for dollars. And with all those partnerships and all those dollars we still have local stakeholders in law enforcement, from the dark alley dispatches to the shiny courtrooms with pressed suits, saying bad guys are walking out as quickly as they get hauled in.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Local police officers enforcing federal law. Gee, that’s reassuring.

:):
    You should know this. A lot of times they only forward info to the US Attorney. The USA decides if it will get picked up in Federal court.

A large portion of inmates within Federal custody are held at local jails arrested in something state level with either a Federal Warrant or a State Prosecutor forwards case particulars to the Feds and they decide to try first.

Sometimes it’s the only case sometimes they get charged for 2 different crimes one in state and one in Fed court with a detainer.

So local LE has assisted the Feds for decades.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Apparently a guy was arrested at Castleton Mall with a gun that had a Glock switch (or whatever they want to call them) today.
    I read he was followed by IMPD (I presume working security for the mall??). Confronted about weapon on property, ran, apprehended and charged with possession of machine gun. One down, a city left to go. Although I wonder if he'll be prosecuted by state or fed. Or both.

Top Bottom