• ...and so much more!
  • SHTF... You grab....

• Total voters

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    SHTF, a very low percentage of my ammo would be jacketed. I've got a few jacketed bullets loaded for hunting purposes, but haven't even finished load developement with them and the accuracy isn't all I could wish for, yet.

Most all my ammo is, and would be in such a situation, cast bullets. 158 grain lead flat points in .38 Special and .357 Magnum, and probaby 200 gr lead flat points in .45 ACP, all the bullets from Better Bullets: http://www.betterbullets.com/documents/KSS_Pricing.pdf. Very soon I want molds to make my own bullets. Cathy got me a production pot a year ago, but I've yet to be able to use it.

None of the .22 or 20 guage ammo is jacketed. So I chose "everything I got."

Last edited:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    :scratch:

(Just woke up a little bit ago, sorry)

Softball = ball ammo, lead. No jacket. Hardball is jacketed.

SWC = Semi Wad Cutter. Target type bullet that will make a "cookie cutter" hole in paper, and do a number on flesh as well due to sharp shoulders.

I load both for my 1911, though lately it's been 230gr soft ball, cast very hard, over a charge of (IIRC) 8.1gn AA#5. Duplicates factory performance. (I don't have my notes in front of me, so don't use this data without double checking.)

I've had zero misfires from my reloads, and I've only had to slap the back of the slide with the heel of my hand when the gun was very dirty, and quality mags were not being used.

Josh <><

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I have never seen a SWC bullet but I bet that it would be a good compromise between ball and HP in terms of stopping ability.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    2-.22 lrs (one bolt, one semi 1500 rds or so)
    4-shotguns< Ithaca 12 and 20 lever break, Marlin .410 and Mossberg 500 12 ga. 200 rds for my 12 (all shotgun ammo is assorted but mainly bird shot...I know)
    1-.30-06
    1-.30-40Krag
    1-.357 mag.
    1-.380 acp
    1-Muzzleloader
    1-SKS (just bought it....no ammo but, it has a bayo:D)

canned and boxed food and plenty of warm clothes.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    I guess if SHTF tomorrow, I would have to take everything I have, at the point where it nothing matters but surviving and providing for my family, bullet size, weight and type would not much matter to me. I don't think some bad guy is gonna comment as to what bullet hurt more or what gun it came from, just as long as it functioned well when I wanted it to and was fairly accurate. Just my :twocents:.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I guess if SHTF tomorrow, I would have to take everything I have, at the point where it nothing matters but surviving and providing for my family, bullet size, weight and type would not much matter to me. I don't think some bad guy is gonna comment as to what bullet hurt more or what gun it came from, just as long as it functioned well when I wanted it to and was fairly accurate. Just my :twocents:.

well said, :+1:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What I wanna know is how many people have thus far changed their minds as to what type they would grab after hearing all the responses?

For those who have a stockpile of ammo, it would be hard pressed for them to grab EVERYTHING. Especially if you have a family of 4-5 and over 10K rounds of various ammo. I have a SMALL stock and even it's seperated by what goes and doesn't go to the range, by caliber, and even what has just loaded mags in it! :D

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    You can carry maybe 2K of each caliber.
    Does this mean total or per person, because I think my 6 yr old could carry 4 or 5 500 round boxes of 22 by himself. My little guys would have their backpacks loaded with all they could handle, plus my wife would have to leave the makeup behind and carry some ammo in her purse! :D

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    What I wanna know is how many people have thus far changed their minds as to what type they would grab after hearing all the responses?

For those who have a stockpile of ammo, it would be hard pressed for them to grab EVERYTHING. Especially if you have a family of 4-5 and over 10K rounds of various ammo. I have a SMALL stock and even it's seperated by what goes and doesn't go to the range, by caliber, and even what has just loaded mags in it! :D

Depending on what I'm going for in the woods, this is what I wear:

One light hatchet

One fixed skinning knife (Cold Steel)

One folding knife (Spyderco)

One 2qt canteen

One 1911, built to para-MEU spec, 14+1 rounds including reload

One .22, capable of dime accuracy at 50yds, spare mag, and 100rnds spare ammo -OR- one SKS, modified, 10 in the mag, 20 spare on strippers

Ruck pack containing food, 1qt canteen and cup, knife, fork, spoon, extra ammo, extra fixed blade knife, hard candy, coffee, extra clothing, TP, etc.

I do not usually do state forests :lol2: I only take twice as much ammo as I know I'll likely shoot, and consider other things to be more important - like combating boredom, for instance. That's a big killer right there if you're on the move.

Trapping food, when you cannot shoot it, is another big thing. Ever try running a trapline made of deadfall traps and snares? Then having to filter most water around here, then boil it... I would need at least a small fire, first for charcoal, then for boiling. Filter the water through the charcoal to remove what heavy metals and chemicals you can, then boil for pathogens.

Josh <><

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Does this mean total or per person, because I think my 6 yr old could carry 4 or 5 500 round boxes of 22 by himself. My little guys would have their backpacks loaded with all they could handle, plus my wife would have to leave the makeup behind and carry some ammo in her purse! :D

Well, It's nice to be armed with .22's so you have less to carry, but my AR and pistols have some heavy bullets I can only fit so much stuff in either my car or van so I have to consider many other things. 6 people in my house Not including my mother who has her own car aswell. I guess we would take everything (ammo wise) but it would have to be spread out between vehicles.

If we even drive that is. If we walk ammo will have to be limited and distributed for sure. I only have some many mags for the pistols, and my Marlin is tube fed. The AR has 22 mags including a 10rnder loaded with "supposed" Incindeary rounds. :dunno: Didn't have a reason not to believe the guy so I believe it. :D

Depending on what I'm going for in the woods, this is what I wear:

<snip>

Trapping food, when you cannot shoot it, is another big thing. Ever try running a trapline made of deadfall traps and snares? Then having to filter most water around here, then boil it... I would need at least a small fire, first for charcoal, then for boiling. Filter the water through the charcoal to remove what heavy metals and chemicals you can, then boil for pathogens.

Josh <><

A man with a plan here. Must be nice to live in the Country. I'm inbetween country and city...

I have water tabs to purify my water and a magnesium fire starter in my BoB. I'd still boil and filter it first though. What that doesn't kill, the water tabs will. Might be nasty but better nasty than none.

Trapping was something I never really considered though to be honest. I'll have to learn more about it.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    Well, It's nice to be armed with .22's so you have less to carry, but my AR and pistols have some heavy bullets
    and my Marlin is tube fed. The AR has 22 mags including a 10rnder loaded with "supposed" Incindeary rounds. :dunno: Didn't have a reason not to believe the guy so I believe it. :D

Ever tried to kill a squirrel with big rifle, handgun larger than 22 or AR? I assume that the grocery stores and McD's have already been taken over or run through. Big powerful weapons are nice and no doubt have their place but for feeding my family, I'll be taking my 22's also. I guess the best thing to say is be prepared, take all you can carry and hope for the best.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ever tried to kill a squirrel with big rifle, handgun larger than 22 or AR? I assume that the grocery stores and McD's have already been taken over or run through. Big powerful weapons are nice and no doubt have their place but for feeding my family, I'll be taking my 22's also. I guess the best thing to say is be prepared, take all you can carry and hope for the best.

Actually we used 00 Buck on a squirrel once. Never found it... :D

I'd love to have a 22. Hell I've got 500rnds and no gun to go with it... That being said, if I'm going to use my guns to get food, I'm not shooting a squirrel or a rabbit. I've got 6 others mouths to feed. I'm looking for large game or going fishing.

Top Bottom