I Unreservedly Apologize. I was wrong. I must now eat crow for all whom I disagreed with.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If coronavirus is substantially more virulent/spreads better/has a higher r0 value compared to flu, however you want to say it, then practices that are reducing flu spread to near zero may not contain coronavirus.

An analogy would be wearing a mask that stops large wood chips but allows the tiny sawdust particles through. Wood chips in this example are flu.

And I am definitely not saying cloth or paper masks work for the pandemic, it should be obvious from the continuing spread across the country they do not.
    The influenza virus and the WuVid virus are comparable in size (influenza 0.08 to 0.12 microns, WuVid 0.06 to 0.14 microns) and we are talking about mechanical and electrostatic governed filtration. I think we can safely say that there would be no difference in the size and behavior of the microdroplets created by human respiration relative to either virus as well as the comparable size would likely mean no difference in the mechanical filtration methods. Masks should be as effective against one as the other

The R0 for WuVid is 1.5x to 2.0x that of influenza, a significant but not major difference that would be seen most likely in the effectiveness of social distancing

Neither difference supports arguing that methods that empirically are not slowing the spread of WuVid much can be given credit for drastically decreasing the spread of influenza. Masking and social distancing logically should reduce WuVid in lockstep with influenza based on how the effects are thought to be obtained. The data does not support the conclusions

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Yes, gain of function research on coronavirus was being done at Fort Detrick, MD up until gain of function research was banned and they were shut down, for good in 2017 I think. Then, NIH shifted the work and funding to Wuhan. Fauci very likely knew about this, he would have been part of the funding oversight - and given the highly controversial aspects of gain of function research, to the point where his organization was banned from doing it, the chances that he wasn’t aware about this research are near zero.
    If true, that would mean a U.S. government employee knowingly moved research and technology for a potential bio-weapon to an adversary.

Where I come from, that is called treason...

mechmc17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Zionsville
    The influenza virus and the WuVid virus are comparable in size (influenza 0.08 to 0.12 microns, WuVid 0.06 to 0.14 microns) and we are talking about mechanical and electrostatic governed filtration. I think we can safely say that there would be no difference in the size and behavior of the microdroplets created by human respiration relative to either virus as well as the comparable size would likely mean no difference in the mechanical filtration methods. Masks should be as effective against one as the other

The R0 for WuVid is 1.5x to 2.0x that of influenza, a significant but not major difference that would be seen most likely in the effectiveness of social distancing

Neither difference supports arguing that methods that empirically are not slowing the spread of WuVid much can be given credit for drastically decreasing the spread of influenza. Masking and social distancing logically should reduce WuVid in lockstep with influenza based on how the effects are thought to be obtained. The data does not support the conclusions
    Size of virions does not indicate contagiousness. There is no correlation.

Top Bottom