I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Does anybody check their EDC chamber and magazine for loaded rounds before leaving the house on a daily basis?

I ask this question because I switch back and fourth between pistols due to concealment requirements. I recently made a trip to the east coast and was going to be in MD part of the time. I took along my LCP with pocket holster to deep conceal. I had a spare mag on my off side in a mag pouch loaded with SD ammo. We were going to the pool at our friends house so I took the LCP out of my pocket and went to unload it before storing it until we got back from the pool. They had small grandchildren in the house so I was going to put the gun in my suite case and the ammo and magazine in my backpack.

I was shocked and felt stupid that I had grabbed my wifes LCP before we left Indiana four, yes FOUR days earlier. It was UNLOADED. No round in the chamber nor the magazine. I had been carrying an unloaded gun for four days. I did have a spare mag on my off side that would have been inserted after a misfire, tap rack, misfire then mag change, rack, fire. I was sick at my stomach that I had been so careless.

I'm hoping that I'm the only person that has done this stupid practice of not checking their EDC. I have now started to check my EDC or any gun I plan on carrying before it goes in the holster, even if I put it in the safe loaded before going too bed and strapping it back on the next morning.

I press check before holstering. I did something very similar once and thought I'd lost my magazine until I realized I didn't have one in the chamber either. I had been reloading and emptied it to make sure my OAL was good and it was feeding ok then forgot to load back up before leaving the house. That "Gosh, that was stupid" moment and the churning in my gut have stuck with me and I've always done the press check since. (Well, not on revolvers, of course).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It sounds like someone does too much loading and unloading. If one of my guns has the magazine inserted then there is one in the chamber, always, everytime. No magazine? Then I check it.

I load and unload almost daily. If you don't, dry fire gets a lot more exciting but the dry wall bill gets old quick.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It sounds like someone does too much loading and unloading. If one of my guns has the magazine inserted then there is one in the chamber, always, everytime. No magazine? Then I check it.

I don't unload my carry guns. I still check them when they have been out of my possession/sight even though I expect them to be loaded because I have the opportunity.

Louis Awerbuck always advised us to check even though we "knew" they were loaded. People who didn't heed his advice were often embarrassed because what they thought they knew wasn't what was real. He had one story of a cop who he advised to check his weapon when he returned to the line. The guy said, "It didn't unload itself in the shi**er." Then on the first drill he got a "click" instead of a bang. He knew it was loaded, but he was wrong.

If you have the opportunity to check it, check it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't unload my carry guns. I still check them when they have been out of my possession/sight even though I expect them to be loaded because I have the opportunity.

Louis Awerbuck always advised us to check even though we "knew" they were loaded. People who didn't heed his advice were often embarrassed because what they thought they knew wasn't what was real. He had one story of a cop who he advised to check his weapon when he returned to the line. The guy said, "It didn't unload itself in the shi**er." Then on the first drill he got a "click" instead of a bang. He knew it was loaded, but he was wrong.

Sheriff Campbell said the same thing. Taught us to ever so slightly open the slide, and press the tip of your finger inside to feel the brass casing that should be chambered.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sheriff Campbell said the same thing. Taught us to ever so slightly open the slide, and press the tip of your finger inside to feel the brass casing that should be chambered.

Yep. John Farnam also recommends checking with your finger to verify the weapon is loaded (and to verify that the magazine is charged as well). I do that when I can't see what I'm doing (like in the dark) and sometimes to do both a visual and a tactile check.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Hand positions on this? Which finger are you chamber checking with?

I've been carrying/dry firing the G43 BUG into my mix on the homestead.
    I'm trying to get used to the tiny "little girl" gun, without setting off any unintentional rounds. :n00b:

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Hand positions on this? Which finger are you chamber checking with?

I've been carrying/dry firing the G43 BUG into my mix on the homestead.
    I'm trying to get used to the tiny "little girl" gun, without setting off any unintentional rounds. :n00b:

Wait, you bought a Glock???

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    At least you had your gun. I made a quick run to Walmart one day to grab something for Mrs Monkey. I walked up to my "shelf of stuff", (which includes my pistol safe) slid on the paddle holster, grabbed the wallet, keys, etc. and then the wife asked me a question so I went to talk to her. On the way out I grabbed the keys and headed to the store.

About the time I turned into the lot, I got to thinking "man, this holster is might comfy today. I must have really found the sweet spot where it rides the best."

Then I probed the top of the pistol with my elbow. :facepalm: :facepalm: No wonder. The holster was empty. I got distracted and never grabbed the gun on the way out.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Murphy's law has a way of catching us all at one point or another. Checking to make sure a gun is safety cleared before handing it to another person or working on it is really not that different than making sure it is combat ready if needed before inserting into my holster for carrying from now on.

Others can do as they wish but the sick at my stomach feeling is still very fresh to me and has changed my daily pattern.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd love to say that I have had the discipline to do a press check before holstering each time, but I've been lax on that. I keep my guns loaded if they are out of storage and have a bad habit of assuming they are still loaded most of the time when I holster them. I'd say that I have only been doing a chamber check about 50% of the time, but I'm going to work on getting that to be 100%. To date, I've never carried an unloaded gun when I thought it was loaded, but I did make it to the store once with an empty holster. I'll stick a full size 1911 in the console once in a while to save messing up the seats of my truck and forgot to reholster before heading into the store.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

Ok, although I can't imagine it unloading itself, I will start checking.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    At least you had your gun. I made a quick run to Walmart one day to grab something for Mrs Monkey. I walked up to my "shelf of stuff", (which includes my pistol safe) slid on the paddle holster, grabbed the wallet, keys, etc. and then the wife asked me a question so I went to talk to her. On the way out I grabbed the keys and headed to the store.

About the time I turned into the lot, I got to thinking "man, this holster is might comfy today. I must have really found the sweet spot where it rides the best."

Then I probed the top of the pistol with my elbow. :facepalm: :facepalm: No wonder. The holster was empty. I got distracted and never grabbed the gun on the way out.

OK, I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this on occasions (several).

This whole thread is dumb because INGO told me, "rule #1: A gun is always loaded." Ergo, it's not possible to have an empty chamber. Ever.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    It's weird how the habits get you. I began the *awful* habit of "dropping the hammer" on my guns before I would put them away. (You know, so the hammer spring wouldn't get worn out or something.)
    Then one day I went to load up my carry gun, and got all loaded up, put my finger on the trigger and was about to "drop the hammer" on a live round, which would been a big surprise for the apartment below mine. Fortunately I learned without an incident, but I know the sick-to-your stomach feeling.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My carry pistol stays in the holster unless I'm shooting it or cleaning it. I have developed the habit of using my thumb on the bottom of the grip to verify the mag is in the well but honestly I've never done a press check. When I'm 99.999% certain there is still a round in the chamber (and seeing/feeling a mag in the well) the extra manipulation seems more likely to result in an ND than find the pistol somehow unloaded, no matter how unlikely either outcome seems. YMMV.

Top Bottom