I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It's kind of like those manuals that come with a knife Rhino... You know the ones that say how not to cut yourself or the pictures that show "this is the sharp side" so you don't cut yourself by accident and all. I can't believe you don't read the manual!

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Manual? I though Glocks were automatic!

But yeah, the loaded chamber indicator is subtle, but it's there. Much better than the SR9:

SR9-loaded-indicator.jpg

Actually, a lot of people don't know about the Glock's LCI. Don't beat yourself up too hard, Rhino.

2311180701_c5f58459ef.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's kind of like those manuals that come with a knife Rhino... You know the ones that say how not to cut yourself or the pictures that show "this is the sharp side" so you don't cut yourself by accident and all. I can't believe you don't read the manual!

Hush, you!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And hell, my LCI is BARELY sticking out. (I just checked my Gen3 19) The photo above looks like it goes from flush to extended. Mine is more slightly recessed to barely extended. Mine extends maybe an index card thickness out. Not nearly as pronounced in this picture.

I too was unaware.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    And hell, my LCI is BARELY sticking out. (I just checked my Gen3 19) The photo above looks like it goes from flush to extended. Mine is more slightly recessed to barely extended. Mine extends maybe an index card thickness out. Not nearly as pronounced in this picture.

I too was unaware.

I checked mine too. The difference in protrusion is noticeable with my finger since I know it's supposed to be there. Visually? Barely perceptible.

It's also proprietary to the Glock. For those who eschew using the slide release on guns because racking the slide is universal, I submit that checking the chamber in one of the old school methods should be preferred because they too are universal.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Here's an article that adds some insight into Israeli carry purpose and the objective of defensive gun use.

Students for Concealed Carry: UT-Austin's "Israeli" Carry Proposal is Dangerously Dumb - The Truth About Guns

UT-Austin has been the flagship campus for panty-wetting about campus carry specifically and guns in general.

Has anyone ever tracked down an actual Israeli soldier, commando, Mossad agent, or cop, and actually verified "Israeli-carry" is what we think it is? One of these days I am going to visit Israel and find out for myself.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I went to the theater this morning and decided to carry my full-size H&K in a coat pocket, unholsterd. Why? Comfort. Accordingly, I had an empty chamber. Some might suggest otherwise, but this is the way I felt most comfortable carrying the piece.

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    DISCLAIMER: I am not an Operator, Israeli Special Forces, Retired Police Officer, or any other type of expert -- just a CCW'er who reads a lot and practices as much as he can.

Ayoob once had a discussion about Israeli carry. He said that it was primarily to unify manual of arms in the army (where many armed men are all together and you are unlikely to get into a confrontation by yourself). He mentioned that he would consider Israeli carry if he was carrying certain guns without a safety (I don't remember which -- it wasn't a Glock, and it had something to do with the construction of the gun) and had to carry it "Mexican Carry" for some reason.

From reading the news reports of the stabbings in Israel, it does sound like they carry with empty chamber. Stories often go: "Terrorist tried to stab Israeli, Israeli drew and dropped gun, Terrorist grabbed gun and "tried to put it into service" (I presume this means he was racking the slide) when he was shot by another bystander".

I am thinking that Israeli carry is not a bad idea in certain circumstances, but it does work a whole lot better if you are travelling in a group of people -- if there are 10 of you, I imagine that chances are that in an attack many if not most of your side will get their guns into action. If you are by yourself...the equation changes significantly.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I plan on it. I have a problem with my safety that likes to go to "fire" whenever I holster, so I have to resafety once holstered.

I don't know what kind of gun, or holster you have, but I have carried my S&W, in everything from a $10.00 Uncle Mikes, to the duty

Serpa, I own now, and have never had a problem .....

Top Bottom