I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's weird how the habits get you. I began the *awful* habit of "dropping the hammer" on my guns before I would put them away. (You know, so the hammer spring wouldn't get worn out or something.)
    Then one day I went to load up my carry gun, and got all loaded up, put my finger on the trigger and was about to "drop the hammer" on a live round, which would been a big surprise for the apartment below mine. Fortunately I learned without an incident, but I know the sick-to-your stomach feeling.
    Two words: SAND BARREL.

It cost under $10 you get a bucket and fill it with sand.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009

Certainly true. Although it cost me nothing to simply stop pulling the trigger on firearms unless on the range. (And a better mental training, obviously.) Now if I ever do it (dry practice, etc.) I use my rifle plates as a backstop, just in case Murphy wanders in.

But check check and recheck is key, as others have stated.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Certainly true. Although it cost me nothing to simply stop pulling the trigger on firearms unless on the range. (And a better mental training, obviously.) Now if I ever do it (dry practice, etc.) I use my rifle plates as a backstop, just in case Murphy wanders in.

But check check and recheck is key, as others have stated.

If you have an XD or other gun that requires pulling the trigger to field strip, you should still have a sand barrel.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...press the tip of your finger inside to feel the brass casing that should be chambered.

Yep. John Farnam also recommends checking with your finger to verify the weapon is loaded (and to verify that the magazine is charged as well). I do that when I can't see what I'm doing (like in the dark) and sometimes to do both a visual and a tactile check.

Being a new Glock owner, I'm curious. In the dark we shouldn't trust the feeling the Glock loaded chamber indicator designed for such?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Being a new Glock owner, I'm curious. In the dark we shouldn't trust the feeling the Glock loaded chamber indicator designed for such?

No reason not to. But the way that I see it, is if you get into the habit of checking with your finger, that habit will transfer over to other type of guns as well. Other guns aren't as perfect as a Glock, so they don't have that loaded indicator.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have to admit that I've made myself a creature of situational habit. In other words, I make the situation the habit to keep me from putting myself in the position to do something mindless with a loaded gun. I ensure a situation where my carry gun is always loaded.

For example, I typically pocket carry a Shield 9mm. Part of every range trip includes practice with my carry gun. And I habitually reload and reholster before leaving the bay. It is so ingrained that I have never not done that. After cleaning I habitually reload and reholster. I have never not done that. It's just so ingrained and natural, that not doing it would be like forgetting to take a breath before diving. It's become instinctual. As long as I maintain those habits I can always, accurately, assume it is loaded.

However, what if something abnormal takes me out of the normal routine? What if something disrupts those acquired natural instincts? Maybe I see someone I know at the range and things happen, and somehow the Shield gets put in the holster without being loaded. I'm so used to "knowing" it's loaded, I'd probably never check. So it seems that it would not be a bad thing to making checking its condition as natural as keeping it loaded.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Women!

You just know it will be a woman.
    It's one thing they know how to do well, screw up a mans routine. :xmad:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

What is the Glock loaded chamber indicator? Is that something your G43 has? It does not exist on the G17, 19, 20, or 26.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is what I was referring to. :

[video=youtube;M_KHY3iQJUw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_KHY3iQJUw[/video]

Taran Butler made reference to it in a compact 9mm comparison vid also as one of the virtues of the G43 over some others.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    What is the Glock loaded chamber indicator? Is that something your G43 has? It does not exist on the G17, 19, 20, or 26.

I thought all Glocks had them.
    It's just that tab on the slide that you can feel if one is chambered or not.

Same theory as a reach-around so you can feel if you're in the right hole or not.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I use a stack of phone books. WTF else are you supposed to do with phone books?

For example, I typically pocket carry a Shield 9mm.

POCKET CARRY!!! LOW CAPACITY!!! 9MM EURO-PELLET!!! ARE YOU CRAZY????????

(Actually, pocket carry has been used successfully multiple times in turning the tables on muggers in cases I've worked. It's a very workable set up if done right, and the Shield is a very good carry gun)

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    (snip)

(Actually, pocket carry has been used successfully multiple times in turning the tables on muggers in cases I've worked. It's a very workable set up if done right, and the Shield is a very good carry gun)

I can see that. The mugger thinks you are getting out your wallet.. interesting

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I can see that. The mugger thinks you are getting out your wallet.. interesting

Yup. Surprise! One of the real world incidents we discuss in the class I teach with Coach is a guy who faked going for his car keys to give to a car jacker and had a LCR in his pocket instead. While everything has trade offs, a gun carried in a pocket or over a pocket in a manner that you can mimic compliance with a mugger with while simultaneously starting your draw stroke has a real advantage in those situations where your valuables are the target.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is what I was referring to. :
    Taran Butler made reference to it in a compact 9mm comparison vid also as one of the virtues of the G43 over some others.

Ah-HAH! I was wrong and you have educated me. I had no idea that was designed and marketed as a loaded chamber indicator. Go figure.

I thought all Glocks had them.
    It's just that tab on the slide that you can feel if one is chambered or not.

Same theory as a reach-around so you can feel if you're in the right hole or not.

The rhino was ignorant of this feature!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    A "smart" mugger will get the drop on you and never allow you to reach for your own valuables. That having been said, most muggers are not that smart.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Ah-HAH! I was wrong and you have educated me. I had no idea that was designed and marketed as a loaded chamber indicator. Go figure.

The rhino was ignorant of this feature!

Don't feel bad. The less you know about Glocks, the better you will be as a human being.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A "smart" mugger will get the drop on you and never allow you to reach for your own valuables. That having been said, most muggers are not that smart.

That opens its own set of possibilities, as they've got be be real close to you to go through your pockets themselves, one hand is out of play, and they are distracted. One more reason not to carry on an empty chamber, as this is an ideal time to begin your counter-offensive, but you'll most likely only have one hand to do it.

Top Bottom