I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    OK. Now imagine yourself being there. Now imagine yourself being 25 years younger and just having married the daughter of one of the men present. These guys have been using guns since before I was born. It was interesting. I did say my peace, though.

I'm still trying to visualize how he's carrying the lcp with partially inserted 30 rd mag. I've looked up the 30 rd mag for LCPs and it sticks out pretty far. I mean, is he literally "carrying" it, like in his hands? Or figuratively "carrying" it, like on his person in some kind of holster, that somehow accommodates the partially inserted 30 rd mag? Appendix carry maybe? No, I don't want to know if it's that. So how does he keep the mag from falling out? Maybe some kind of custom belly band?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Since I contributed to the thread derail I should probably post a real comment.

I started carrying with a revolver.

Then I began carrying a .45 auto (with a safety).

I resisted buying a Glock for a long time because a handgun without a traditional mechanical safety just seemed inherently and needlessly dangerous. Eventually I bought a Glock, learned more about it and started carrying it (on an empty chamber). It took a while before I was comfortable carrying the Glock with a round in the chamber.

If you are hesitant to carry with a chambered round do as others have suggested. Cock it on an empty chamber and carry it for a while noting that it is still cocked and unfired at the end of the day.

Eventually you will become more comfortable and confident that it is "safe" to carry with a chambered round (assuming you have a good, rigid holster that covers the trigger).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Since I contributed to the thread derail I should probably post a real comment.

I started carrying with a revolver.

Then I began carrying a .45 auto (with a safety).

I resisted buying a Glock for a long time because a handgun without a traditional mechanical safety just seemed inherently and needlessly dangerous. Eventually I bought a Glock, learned more about it and started carrying it (on an empty chamber). It took a while before I was comfortable carrying the Glock with a round in the chamber.

If you are hesitant to carry with a chambered round do as others have suggested. Cock it on an empty chamber and carry it for a while noting that it is still cocked and unfired at the end of the day.

Eventually you will become more comfortable and confident that it is "safe" to carry with a chambered round (assuming you have a good, rigid holster that covers the trigger).
    If one can carry a revolver, carrying a Glock with one in the chamber shouldn't be much less comforting. The difference, well besides the Glock's inherent ugliness and sheer glockiness, is the DA trigger for the typical revolver. Either way activating the trigger discharges a round. Either one is as safe as you are.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    If one can carry a revolver, carrying a Glock with one in the chamber shouldn't be much less comforting. The difference, well besides the Glock's inherent ugliness and sheer glockiness, is the DA trigger for the typical revolver. Either way activating the trigger discharges a round. Either one is as safe as you are.

You are correct that the revolver is also ready to go with a trigger pull.

However, the stiffer DA trigger pulling back on the revolver, the hammer coming back then forward and the cylinder rotating seems less likely to happen without your knowledge than the safety-less, hammer-less semi-auto plastic gun getting bumped and doing something weird. At least that is how it seems at first when you are new to the polymer guns.

Not disagreeing, just trying to explain why it takes some people a while to get comfortable with it. I carry with a chambered round now, but I had to learn more about the Glock, convince myself that the "safe action" system worked and get comfortable with it first.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You are correct that the revolver is also ready to go with a trigger pull.

However, the stiffer DA trigger pulling back on the revolver, the hammer coming back then forward and the cylinder rotating seems less likely to happen without your knowledge than the safety-less, hammer-less semi-auto plastic gun getting bumped and doing something weird. At least that is how it seems at first when you are new to the polymer guns.

Not disagreeing, just trying to explain why it takes some people a while to get comfortable with it. I carry with a chambered round now, but I had to learn more about the Glock, convince myself that the "safe action" system worked and get comfortable with it first.

I know. But it helps to think of it in those terms.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Carrying on an empty chamber makes as much sense as carrying a gun with a magazine disconnect, with a round chambered and the magazine in your pocket.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I think its absolutely tribble that you people have turned a serious thread into a geek-fest.
    <sigh> I agree with you here completely

I have a friend who still carries on an empty chamber. I am old, out of shape and untrained... I have offered myself as a training tool with airsoft or blue guns to see who can do what.

It amazes me that he still thinks that he can draw, rack, acquire and hit before a bad guy can draw, semi-acquire and get a few down range before him.

Just makes me be sure not to let him be the protector of my child....

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It amazes me that he still thinks that he can draw, rack, acquire and hit before a bad guy can draw, semi-acquire and get a few down range before him.

Just makes me be sure not to let him be the protector of my child....

Odds are that in a street robbery if a bad guy has a weapon he already has it drawn before you even realize you're being robbed. It's not like a western gunfight where you both square off and draw.

If you decide to engage you need every extra millisecond you can get.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I've had this discussion with a lot of people who come into the gun store where I work. I always tell them the same story about a guy I read about who was assaulted at a gas pump at a convenience store somewhere in Ohio. His chamber loaded pistol was on the seat of his truck. He was just stepping back into the vehicle after gassing up when he was jumped by a punk with a knife. He stated that he only had one hand available as he was fighting off the attacker (and getting his left hand and arm slashed in the process) and could barely reach his gun. He was able to grab it and put a couple rounds into the punks abdomen. That stopped the fight. He said he would have probably died if he hadn't had a round in the chamber and the gun ready to go because he definitely couldn't have racked the slide. That story usually at least makes them think.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Good article. I don't understand the stereotyping open carriers, however. I know plenty of CCers that carry on an empty chamber, so I dont' know why the author thinks it is mostly open carriers doing this. Maybe I'm wrong.

Everybody likes to beat up the OCers. They're always the first ones shot, dontcha know?

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I like the idea of carrying unloaded and cocked to become comfortable and trust the safety mechanisms. Also a good way to ease into carrying for people who aren't quite comfortable with it yet.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I like the idea of carrying unloaded and cocked to become comfortable and trust the safety mechanisms. Also a good way to ease into carrying for people who aren't quite comfortable with it yet.
    Then that person isn't ready to carry. That's like carrying with an empty mag to ease into it because you don't trust yourself not to shoot an innocent person. Either carry it the right way or don't carry it. Because of you carry with an empty chamber I think your a damn fool.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Im not saying it should be a habit. If it was, why even carry at all? Just a way to demonstrate that the safeties work and the gun won't discharge in the holster.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I don't see a problem with empty carry at home or in a static training environment. Dry fire practice is a must. Deciding where to carry on your person is another reason.

Getting ready to introduce my father to the striker fired platform. I will make sure that he carries around the house empty. When he goes out and about he will have his old EDC until he is comfortable with the new gun. Training with it as well, of course.

I am not fast, nor am I extremely accurate. I need all the advantage I can get.

Top Bottom