• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I was at the gander mountain in greenwood earlier today and was looking at hunting boots. I was set on Rocky 1000G thinsulate boots but when I got there they had mossburg 400G's for 1/3 of the price of the rocky's. They also had Itscha(sp?) 1000G's for $99. So my question is what boots do you wear, what thinsulate are they, and what do you like and dislike about them? Thanks

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    El cheapos from wal mart I think, they claimed to have thinsulate but who knows, I have stepped in a foot of water or so crossing creeks and such during hunting season (November) and have been fine, I am a cold natured person and like warmth. But I think if u will actually pick up the boot and look it over in and out u will find most of the difference is$ PRICE! By the way, I have used them for over 17 hunting seasons!

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    I have a pair of Rocky, I think they are 1200 gram, I just bought some Muck Wetland Boots with briarless chaps sewn in and those are quickly becoming my favorite and my just make it to deer season.

Shep79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Bainbridge
    If your feet get cold you can not stay warm. I have a pair of 400 gram Danners that are perfect down to about 40 F. Below that I want at least 1000 if not 1200 grams. As far as brand I recommend getting the ones that fit the best. My narrow foot does not do well with Rocky but Irish Setter fits great. Make sure their not too tight as you need some air for warmth.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I just wear my regular work/field boots and some real thick, warm wool socks. Haven't had much of a problem. If it's real cold or snowy/wet I'll wear my LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes with my wool socks. They have 200 gr of thinsulate in them. Really nice boots. And made in USA to boot. (pun intended) :D

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I tried wearing my work boots(caterpillar) last year and froze. I added feet warmers and they would still get cold just sitting in the snow. When I would walk they would sweat and that didn't help either. Thanks for all the ideas and keep them coming I am going to buy some this weekend so all the help I can get is great.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    For hunting where I don't walk much (deer, goose), I wear some rubber bottomed pacs with heavy felt liners that I bought from Cabela's 20 years or so ago. For bird hunting, where I may walk many miles, I have a pair of Redwing boots. They are uninsulated, leather and very light.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I am a first year hunter and had to buy all my gear from the start this year. I went to basspro and got some good deals on bibs and a jacket. They had some Redhead boots on sale for 59.99, part of their Bone dry collection. They have 800-1000g of thinsulate in them.

I bought a thick pair of basspro hunting socks and was out in the stand on Sat morning. It was around 31 degrees and wet. I wouldn't say my feet were frozen but they were def colder than I would have liked which shocked me. The rest of me was nice and warm.

One piece of advice I got a from a couple of hunters I know was to get a pair of the Smartwool OTC hunting socks. They said that would help a bucnh so I am trying those out next time.

Looking back I would probably have invested money in a quality pair. I never get cold in my body but I can already see where cold feet can ruin the day and make for a long time in the stand.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I use only lacross. I have a pair of their ice kings, good to 100 below. My feet never get cold! I also have a pair of their knee high rubber boots. I have had both pair for over 15 years and they still look like new. I don't care too much for Rockey's. We use them at work and they seem to wear down after a couple of years.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I am a first year hunter and had to buy all my gear from the start this year. I went to basspro and got some good deals on bibs and a jacket. They had some Redhead boots on sale for 59.99, part of their Bone dry collection. They have 800-1000g of thinsulate in them.

I bought a thick pair of basspro hunting socks and was out in the stand on Sat morning. It was around 31 degrees and wet. I wouldn't say my feet were frozen but they were def colder than I would have liked which shocked me. The rest of me was nice and warm.

One piece of advice I got a from a couple of hunters I know was to get a pair of the Smartwool OTC hunting socks. They said that would help a bucnh so I am trying those out next time.

Looking back I would probably have invested money in a quality pair. I never get cold in my body but I can already see where cold feet can ruin the day and make for a long time in the stand.

I got the winchester bibs and jacket plus the boots. Redhead boot box had 1000 grams of thinsalate on label.
    Wore the jacket out . Seems comfortable
    Looks like the boots will need insoles.
    Bought two pair of the Bassproshop lifetime socks. Wore them with my redwings, working on a roof this weekend. Real comfortable!

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    I would go with the Rocky's. I bought my first pair last year and i now have two pairs. I haven't worn any other kind of boots since owning my rocky's, because i don't think there are any more comfortable than rockys. Although the only problem i have had with mine is that my work boots are kind of heavy, but thats what you get with steel toes i guess.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I got the winchester bibs and jacket plus the boots. Redhead boot box had 1000 grams of thinsalate on label.
    Wore the jacket out . Seems comfortable
    Looks like the boots will need insoles.
    Bought two pair of the Bassproshop lifetime socks. Wore them with my redwings, working on a roof this weekend. Real comfortable!

The Redheads do say 1000g on the tag. They are comfortable boots, I think I also made the mistake of buying them on the small side. My feet are wide and with heavy socks they are a bit snug. That might have also led to the cold factor as I can't wiggle my toes well..HA!

Basspro is a drive to exchange, prob a good boot but I need a bigger pair.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    I use the LaCrosse Boots W/800 grams of thinslate. If it gets to cold, I have a pair of Ice Breaker boot blankets that I can slip on.....

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Anyone have suggestions on a brand that fits a wider foot? I went looking at new boots at Gander and dicks in greenwood and with a heavier sock they all fit tight. One pair of Field and Stream Silent trackers were ok but they felt sloppy.

If i go up a size it will be too long. Any other stores I am not thinking of to check?

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I own Red Wing Irish Setters, 800 gram. I was all set to buy Rocky's but they just didn't feel good on the feet when I tried them on. My foot is by no means wide as I can wear regular socks plus wool ones with these boots. It's a snug fit but not uncomfortable.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a pair of Cabelas 1200 gram Thinsulate I've used for 2 seasons now. They are still kind of stiff. They are waterproof although they don't use Gortex. I don't think they breathe as well. They are decently comfortable although the stiffness makes them feel awkward. But even with 1200 grams, my feet have gotten cold a few times after sitting in a stand for a few hours. I'm thinking of springing for a nicer pair. After the research I've done, I'm leaning towards Irish Setter Deer Tracker II or LaCrosse. But for $60, the Cabelas pair aren't bad.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i wear knee high rubber durring bow season. im not sure of the insulation value but its not much. i also have a pair of 12 or 1400 gr cabelas for late season. the cabelas are rubber aswell

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Well I went to Dicks and Gander Mountain on the North Side of Indy. I was shocked to see that both north side stores have way more gear than the greenwood locations. Gander in Castleton makes Greenwoods Gander look like an outlet store.

Since I have a wide foot and low arch it is hard to find boots. I found a pair of irish setter 600G wides for 99.99 and a pair of Lacrosse 800G that felt good. I also found a pair of Rockys at dicsk that are 800g and wide as well as a pair of field and Stream 1000g.

So now I have to decide which feel the best and which to take back.

I am leaning toward the 800G rockys with a polypro liner and medium smartwool sock.

Suggestions?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    "Since I have a wide foot and low arch it is hard to find boots."

Danner has a wide and narrow last, that's how I know which boot to buy. This may be where you call the manufacturer and ask if one model boot may have a wider last (form) than others, to get the best fit possible. It's also why I buy the Danner hand sewn leather boots, made right here in the USA.

Good luck on the (boot) hunt.

Top Bottom