• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My bird feeder pole has a motorcycle spoked rim horizontal on the top of it. There is a baffle below to keep the squirrels and coons off of it that works pretty well. I set votive cups with jelly in the spokes on the top and have wire hooks around the sides to hold the seed, nectar and suet feeders so I cut oranges in half and just push them onto the wire that is used as the hook for the feeders.

Here are a few photos that might help to clarify my description.

0Id3MKV.jpg

sqGQak3.jpg

Dc9xuB7.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    @Mom45 - Awesome! What did you use for your baffle - just sheet metal cut and shaped into a cone?

I think it is made from the end of a 50 gallon barrel. Some of the other poles have a 5 gallon bucket on them that is upside down. Hubby cut a hole in the center of the bottom, slid it on the pipe and put a muffler clamp on the pipe inside the bucket so it can't slide down.

dpFfDf0.jpg

tosharri

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Plainfield
    Love the ingenuity!! I had heard something through a google search of people using a slinky in a creative way to hinder 'scaling' the post.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I have used a piece of stovepipe capped on one end for the same effect as the bucket. The coons can't get their arms around it and it swings so they don't like that. I have heard that they will climb onto each other's backs to scale up something.
    The slinky idea sounds interesting.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The bucket does have to be mounted high enough up the pipe that they can't just climb onto it from the ground, obviously, but it does seem to work well as they can't manage to get around it as EyeCarry said.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    2 pair of orioles and 2 pair of rose breasted grosbeaks as well as our first hummer this week. Bought all new hummer feeders at Roro King and a jelly feeder for the orioles. I'm anti coon so been setting the coon cuff regularly when I'm home. Three so far this year. Keeps the vultures hanging around. They need fed too.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I would love to DYI some kind of electric "fence" that was just the right size for the deck rail (about 8"x24" were I want it). I'd set it up to come on at night and go off at dawn.
    I recently ran across a you tube were someone used a 12v battery, car flasher, and old primary coil for something like this. Topic for another thread I suppose.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    We had our first sighting last night before dusk at the feeder in the front yard. I hope the little guy survived the night. These temperature drops are insane this year.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    What container do you use to feed grape jelly? What kind of fruit? Fresh, dried?

I've had to start bringing the feeders in every night...I have to make sure I get them brought in before the sun goes down because the buttheads don't waste any time!

During the day I also have lots of Grackles and now starlings at the feeder bullying the other birds. Considering an air rifle to take care of them they're so obnoxious.
    I was referring to other INGO members when I said "what I see around here." Sorry for the confusion.
    Another surprise at the suet feeder today. A Scarlet Tanager. How about that. Being home more sure brings out what we miss when we are at work.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I have goofed. It is not Scarlet Tanagers that I am seeing but Summer Tanagers. I was just looking out again and the female was out there as well, olive/yellowish which caused me to pull out the book again to check. The Scarlet has black wings and what I have here does not.
    And had to put out another block of suet. Hungry buggers.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I had a hummingbird at the feeder this morning as I was feeding the jelly cups. The feeder was 2/3 ice and the bucket I have out for the deer had at least a half inch of ice on it that I had to break.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    good to hear they were able to survive the cold snap! I didn't see any today, but I was mostly in the garage cleaning up some rifles i shot last weekend.

are you in northern IN?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    good to hear they were able to survive the cold snap! I didn't see any today, but I was mostly in the garage cleaning up some rifles i shot last weekend.

are you in northern IN?

Yep...northern Starke County

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I have goofed. It is not Scarlet Tanagers that I am seeing but Summer Tanagers. I was just looking out again and the female was out there as well, olive/yellowish which caused me to pull out the book again to check. The Scarlet has black wings and what I have here does not.
    And had to put out another block of suet. Hungry buggers.
    And now I DO have Scarlet Tanagers. I wonder if the all red is a juvenile. It has just a hint of black under or at the back of it's flight feathers.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    FINALLY!!! After having no success with my feeder last year, I saw my first hummingbird tonight! She was followed by at least a dozen over the next hour or so. I have two feeders under a tree that has two regular bird feeders and a suet cake holder. It has been very active with all kinds of birds, including downy woodpeckers and hairy woodpeckers. But tonight was the breakthrough! They all appeared to be females. I can't wait to see some males show up.

tosharri

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Plainfield
    And now I DO have Scarlet Tanagers. I wonder if the all red is a juvenile. It has just a hint of black under or at the back of it's flight feathers.

So jealous! Do the Scarlet Tanagers feed off the fruit or do they like the Nyjer mixes? I'm not sure I've ever seen one but I'd really like to! I'm still quite enamored over my bluebirds <3

Top Bottom