• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We have a female hummingbird nesting right outside our upstairs hall window. Cheap iPhone 7 camera won't take good pics, and we don't have a good dedicated camera. Noticed the nest yesterday morning - she was turning around and hunkering down to get it ready. Mostly spider webs with a few lichens. By yesterday afternoon there was one egg. Might be another today. We can also see the nest from the ground now that we know where to look.

On a related note, refilled the hummingbird feeder.

It it true that we only have ruby-throateds here. The red is structural color, and looks black unless the light hits it just right.

ETA: a pic of our hummingbird nest. Can't see the egg from this angle - it's about the size of a pea.
    106405829_10223066953641049_6509394279852152572_o.jpg

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    We have a female hummingbird nesting right outside our upstairs hall window. Cheap iPhone 7 camera won't take good pics, and we don't have a good dedicated camera. Noticed the nest yesterday morning - she was turning around and hunkering down to get it ready. Mostly spider webs with a few lichens. By yesterday afternoon there was one egg. Might be another today. We can also see the nest from the ground now that we know where to look.

On a related note, refilled the hummingbird feeder.

It it true that we only have ruby-throateds here. The red is structural color, and looks black unless the light hits it just right.

ETA: a pic of our hummingbird nest. Can't see the egg from this angle - it's about the size of a pea.
    106405829_10223066953641049_6509394279852152572_o.jpg

i have never seen a nest around here.....we have anywhere between 40 to 60 birbs a year going threw 4 quart feeders a day....i'll have to go look and see if i see any nests in our woods line.....

great pic btw...

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    they will leave with food out.....mine have started leaving already....we where filling 6 quart feeders a day and 10 pounds of sugar in 4 days....now 2 quarts a day give it another few days and we will be down to 1 quart every couple days

one other thing i have been feeding them for 25 years in the same place and never seen a bird past first week of October....

by by birdies....:(

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    they will leave with food out.....mine have started leaving already....we where filling 6 quart feeders a day and 10 pounds of sugar in 4 days....now 2 quarts a day give it another few days and we will be down to 1 quart every couple days

one other thing i have been feeding them for 25 years in the same place and never seen a bird past first week of October....

by by birdies....:(

Dang wive's tales. Can't even believe your grandma these days. :)

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Interesting information from this website: https://www.whatbirdsareinmybackyar...-i-put-out-take-down-hummingbird-feeders.html
    In a nutshell, they prescribe keeping feeders in Indiana out as late as December, or two weeks after the last time you've seen a bird. And they say leaving food out will not compel them to stay and not migrate.
    Some of our birds leave late Aug/early Sept, the rest after the first < 50° night. However, there are still migratory ones traveling after that. We usually see one in late Oct, the latest on Nov 1. They're not our birds since ours all left 6 weeks earlier. So just because you haven't seen one in a while, there may be birds headed your way and they know you've got a feeder out.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Some of our birds leave late Aug/early Sept, the rest after the first < 50° night. However, there are still migratory ones traveling after that. We usually see one in late Oct, the latest on Nov 1. They're not our birds since ours all left 6 weeks earlier. So just because you haven't seen one in a while, there may be birds headed your way and they know you've got a feeder out.

:yesway:

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have been having a lot of territorial fights as of late to the point that they are doing more chasing than feeding when I have been watching. A new wrinkle for me in the last two weeks is that after years with no wasps around my deck they have returned while I have been outside eating. They also seem to be chasing the hummingbirds away from feeding. I watched for 15 minutes a couple of times and it appears that one wasp is chasing the hummingbirds to different feeding holes on the feeder. What I am calling the wasps are about an inch long with a yellow back and black stripes, They are much thinner than a bee

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I have been having a lot of territorial fights as of late to the point that they are doing more chasing than feeding when I have been watching. A new wrinkle for me in the last two weeks is that after years with no wasps around my deck they have returned while I have been outside eating. They also seem to be chasing the hummingbirds away from feeding. I watched for 15 minutes a couple of times and it appears that one wasp is chasing the hummingbirds to different feeding holes on the feeder. What I am calling the wasps are about an inch long with a yellow back and black stripes, They are much thinner than a bee

sounds as if you have yellow jackets.....i get them around the feeders too

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I sometimes get the yellow jackets inside my feeders.
    I read somewhere that the males lose their iridescent neck feathers in the fall.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Haven't seen a male in a while but now 4 yellow jackets at a time are guarding the feeder in the heat of the day and making things difficult for the hummingbirds

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Haven't seen a male in a while but now 4 yellow jackets at a time are guarding the feeder in the heat of the day and making things difficult for the hummingbirds

Im having some of the same issues. I go out and use my badminton racket to get rid of what I can. Yellowjacket count has diminished lately because of that.

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    The males leave first in the fall and arrive first in spring to set up territories in their respective ranges north and south. I usually see the first male about the first of May and they are usually gone about the middle of September for me in central Indiana.

Top Bottom