• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Just took the pooch out and seen 6 females on the feeders. Not totally done here but close.

When you say on the feeder are you being literal? We've had numerous hummingbirds all summer long and they never ever allow each other's presence at the four perch feeder.

I have witnessed some pretty impressive aerial combat involving up to 3 birds. Haven't seen any in the past week, probably cause I'm not setting out on the porch for any length of time with the cooler temps.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    When you say on the feeder are you being literal? We've had numerous hummingbirds all summer long and they never ever allow each other's presence at the four perch feeder.

I have witnessed some pretty impressive aerial combat involving up to 3 birds. Haven't seen any in the past week, probably cause I'm not setting out on the porch for any length of time with the cooler temps.

Yes being literal. Had 8 feeders out all summer and when their feeding in the morning and evening all would be full of sitting birds feeding with a few flying around trying to get a spot. Sometimes they'd fight with one or two to get a spot but the others would chill and keep feeding. Now with the cooler temps I took two feeders down and down to 6 and there was one on each this morning sitting and eating and all puffed up staying warm or as warm as they could be. Now theyre pretty territorial and wont let any others on "their" feeder without a fight.

Forgot to mention 2 feeders with 6 feeding spots, 5 with 7 spots and 1 with 8 spots. Took the 1 with 8 down as its a pita to clean and 1 with 6 for the same reason.

Last edited:

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Yep here in midwest seeing fewer every day saw 3 different ones today was all, Though did notice that when we added feeders this summer we had lesson the arial combat and more sharing!!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Seen one today while raining in East central Indiana! Our honeysuckle still has blooms so it fed some and rested mostly. I put the feeder back out, maybe another week.
    I’m getting so many conflicting times when to take down feeder. Anybody know when these guys leave for the south?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

One of the males we had would allow several females on the feeder at once, but would attack the other males if he was around. 1 four place and 1 eight place feeder

Top Bottom