• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'll have to watch mine better this weekend. Might have to put the jelly out! I think I have a case on hand as last year, I kept running out and had trouble finding more. A jar every two days was getting nuts!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Still haven't seen any at my house yet. BUT!! I have had a red headed woodpecker here twice today. I haven't seen one on my property for years.

I've lived in my house since 1997 and had never seen one on the property. Now have a pair visiting regularly each day.

I do some amateur bird watching and check off birds in my book as I see them. I added two new ones on one day after 23 year. A Kentucky Warbler, which I have always been shocked that I had never seen. And a bird that I never thought I would see, a male Summer Tanager which I first spotted sitting on my driveway.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I've lived in my house since 1997 and had never seen one on the property. Now have a pair visiting regularly each day.

I do some amateur bird watching and check off birds in my book as I see them. I added two new ones on one day after 23 year. A Kentucky Warbler, which I have always been shocked that I had never seen. And a bird that I never thought I would see, a male Summer Tanager which I first spotted sitting on my driveway.
    That's funny. I saw my first Tanager last year at the house and it was in the driveway as well. The book was right about them too. They prefer to sit at the top of the trees.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Wife put out the feeder yesterday in Rochester located in northern Indiana. Had the first male show up at the feeder this morning. They're here!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We saw our first oriole tonight while eating dinner so I have jelly ready to go out in the morning. Last year I was going through a big jar of jelly every two days so I bought a case about the time they stopped showing up to the feeders. I bought oranges the other day so I am ready for them.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    No hummers yet. Today was great. Within an hour I had an Oriole and then a Rose Breasted Grosbeak. The RB had his female in tow as well. So pretty, both species.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I was on the deck just before dusk today and one darted up to the feeder and took off. Im guessing I spooked him since I was about 12ft from it. Lake County NWI

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I had not gotten around to putting my feeders out yet, but today i had a nice Ruby Throated male hovering outside my kitchen window fir about five minutes. He was hovering in the EXACT spot that I always place a window feeder. They are SO smart. I quickly whipped up a batch of feed, and as soon as it cooled I put out my window feeder and a hanging feeder. It was all of 28 seconds before the first bird was feeding.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I saw my first Hummer of the year at my feeder today!!
    Also, now I have 2 male Rose Breasted Grosbeaks coming in as well as spotting the Oriole again this morning.
    It's been a good day.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Fruit and grape jelly is what I see here for Orioles. I just bought a bag of seed that is supposed to attract Orioles and Grosbeaks, songbirds. Its called "Colorful Blend" and I found it at Menards.
    Bring in the feeders each night to keep them from coons. Squirrels are another matter.

tosharri

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Plainfield
    Hummingbirds

Fruit and grape jelly is what I see here for Orioles. I just bought a bag of seed that is supposed to attract Orioles and Grosbeaks, songbirds. Its called "Colorful Blend" and I found it at Menards.
    Bring in the feeders each night to keep them from coons. Squirrels are another matter.

What container do you use to feed grape jelly? What kind of fruit? Fresh, dried?

I've had to start bringing the feeders in every night...I have to make sure I get them brought in before the sun goes down because the buttheads don't waste any time!

During the day I also have lots of Grackles and now starlings at the feeder bullying the other birds. Considering an air rifle to take care of them they're so obnoxious.

Top Bottom