How many left handed shooters we got here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    It's a whole lot better now than it was when I first started learning to shoot and hunt, especially so far as handguns are concerned. Mostly, we southpaws just had to learn to adapt to and make-do with whatever we could get.

It's kinda funny in a way though. When I finally got a LH 870, it took a while for me to adjust to everything being "backwards" to what I'd become accustomed to!

civilwar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Scipio
    Funny thing I am right handed and shoot from my left shoulder longgun, right handed pistol.
    Was trained to shoot by my dad, who is a lefty, so it just kinda stuck with me. I have been known to pull up on my right shoulder to take out a fleeing rabbit or bird though.

jbrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Gas City, IN
    Im right handed but left eye dominant. Pistol i shoot right and rifle i shoot left which tends to be a PIA, but i guess i will have to deal with it.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    I have found sig hand guns to be less than ideal for being a south paw. I have a scar from a m16-a1, I was very happy when issued an A2 (many years ago) 1911's without an ambi saftey are not very ideal.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Left handed but right eye dominant. When I was a kid I started shooting left but switched over to right when i got my first semi auto 22. Did not like hot 22 shell across my cheek. Now I shoot right handed but can switch to left with pistols and 22 rifles. Large rifles and shotguns its more not being used to taking the recoil with my left shoulder than any thing else. About the only thing I do strictly left is write, everything else I'm pretty ambidextrous. Guess thats from growing up in a right handed world.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Handguns - righty
    Long guns - lefty

I don't really have a dominant eye as I have no problem adjusting from left- to right-hand shooting.

I've written before that this continues into other activities:

I bat right-handed, throw left-handed. I kick a ball with my left foot. I am naturally right-handed in most activities.

simpson1922

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Benre, IN
    i'm left handed and shoot lefty. i shoot right handed long guns and shotguns. i have never got in to shooting pistols much because it was always hard for me to find ones that i liked the function of in lefty mode.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'm left-handed, but right eye dominant. 45 years ago, my Drill Instructor "suggested" that it would be in the best interest of the Marine Corps, that I transition to shooting right-handed. So I did, and have comfortably done so ever since. It's much easier to learn to shoot from the "other side", than to change your eye dominance.......

:+1: I did the same thing.

deter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    Another right hander, left-eye dominant here. My gramps noticed in when I was about 12, so he had me start shooting left hand. I shoot long guns left hand. Handguns right hand. And I have no problem shooting a long gun right handed sighting with my right eye... its just awkward-feeling, and I don't prefer it.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I shoot a long gun left-handed, because my left eye is my dominant eye, but I can shoot a handgun well with either hand. My left just feels a little more natural.

That said, every stock 1911 I've ever owned (1 Colt, 2 Para, 1 Springfield) has thrown brass into my face when fired left-handed. Not every round, mind you, but at least once per mag on average.

Last edited:

HeftyLefty39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm right handed, left eye dominant...shoot handgun right handed, shoot long rifle left handed or using left eye and shoulder. The only issues that I have are when I have to shoot a bolt action rifle and I need to make a quick follow shots or i'm shooting a AQT and I constantly have to reach over my gun and cycle the bolt before I find back my NPOA (Natural Point of Aim). Its not been an issue for me.

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I am left handed, right eye dominant. I shoot pistol left and long gun right handed.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Wow. I'm really amazed at how many people are "cross-eye dominant". I'm right-handed but left eye dominant and thought that was somewhat rare.

Like others here, I had to re-learn rifle shooting when I joined the military. Before that I had always shot right-handed, and craned my head over so I could use my left eye. That didn't work so well with a helmet on -- it would clonk! on the carrying handle.

I still shoot long guns left handed but over time have gotten pretty good at shooting pistols with either hand. I've occasionally tried shooting with my Kimber 5" 1911 in my rght hand and Colt Defender 3" in my left hand -- I have found that I'm not Josey Wales so I generally stick to one gun at a time. :draw:

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    My 18 yr old son is naturally left handed but ambidextrous when shooting or playing an instrument (Bass or tuba) I tell he's lucky because I feel real awkward when practicing my weak hand shooting (Im right handed) but my father made everybody that had a firearm in the house practice left & right handed shooting

Top Bottom