How many left handed shooters we got here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redsuperduty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    New Paris - Northern
    I'm left handed and get through this right handed world pretty good, even though most things are built for right handers. You guys had any firearms that are extremely good or bad for us lefty's?
    I have done well with hundreds of guns, but maybe I havn't come across the one that ejects right between a lefty's eyes.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I'm left handed and get through this right handed world pretty good, even though most things are built for right handers. You guys had any firearms that are extremely good or bad for us lefty's?
    I have done well with hundreds of guns, but maybe I havn't come across the one that ejects right between a lefty's eyes.
    Colt AR-15 SP1.
    They put HOT brass on a lefty's right cheek and then down the open shirt collar. :noway:
    My current AR's have shell deflectors. :D
    Mike

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Not me, but my wife. Everything we do has to take into consideration her left handedness. I had to buy a left hand bolt assembly for my MSAR, and any handgun she shoots has to have an ambidextrous mag release.

Teaching her to shoot was really fun. She is left handed, and right eye dominant. It took me a while to figure that one out. Once i did it turned out she was a natural.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I'm right handed but cross eye dominant so I shoot handguns dominantly right hand and transition to left shoulder for long guns. All my long guns now are either semi, pump or lever. It does bug me because I love old milsurp rifles.

JusAdSumBellum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Central IN
    Im left handed and right eye dominant. Rifles dont bother me at all.

I have big gorilla sausage finger mitts so beretta is a natural fit for me.

I was at the fun store the other day. I noticed they had a nice selection of holsters so i asked if they had a left handed holster for a beretta 90-two. He said i would have better luck finding a sucker to buy my gun then finding a holster for it.

Looks like im up a crick.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    As a lefty we always have to make adjustments to shooting a right hand manufactured firearm. It sucks but after 30 years you get used to it.

keith2210

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Im a lefty also. I try and modify all of my long guns. In my 870 i switched the safety around. It still ejects across my body instead of away from it but i dont see it as a huge problem although I have looked into the left handed 870's. All of my rifles are savage bolt actions with the bolt on the left side. As far as pistols go i do not own one yet (not much longer) but have shot plenty and have just had to deal with them being built for right handed people.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I shoot handguns right handed, long guns lefty. Right hand bolt action rifles suck shooting wrong handed. Cross bolt safeties are a pain, too. The only problem I have had with brass in the face is shooting bull pup rifles. My AUG would NOT be fun without a left hand bolt.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I'm left-handed, but right eye dominant. 45 years ago, my Drill Instructor "suggested" that it would be in the best interest of the Marine Corps, that I transition to shooting right-handed. So I did, and have comfortably done so ever since. It's much easier to learn to shoot from the "other side", than to change your eye dominance.......

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I have a very good freind who is left handed, but shoots a rifle right handed. His dad is an old Nam Vet and told him growing up that "nobody shoots a rifle left handed"...
    Apparently due to the shirt collar thing on the m16 platform.
    He was checking out my dads new FNP45 and said he cannot wait to shoot it. It appears very left hand freindly.
    He nor I have shot it yet, but I will post what he thinks of it.
    It has ambi. decock, mag release and slide catch, not sure of the ejection angle though.

dwp9mm

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greensburg
    I'm a lefty. I dont have too many problems shooting any of my guns. I prefer right hand guns anyway over lefty ones. Just my preference.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm left-handed, and a shooter, but I'm right eye dominant so I shoot righty. That's the way I've done it all my life so it's never felt weird or anything. It does feel weird to train shooting lefty though.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    You left handed people are great. Many of us that are right handed might as well have a tree branch for a left hand, as it is all but useless for many tasks. Those that are left handed, on the other hand (so to speak) have spent their entire lives adapting to a right handed society, and in many cases are ambidextrous. Kudos to all you lefties out there.
    :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    :+1:My left arm might aswell be a wing.:D
    You left handed people are great. Many of us that are right handed might as well have a tree branch for a left hand, as it is all but useless for many tasks. Those that are left handed, on the other hand (so to speak) have spent their entire lives adapting to a right handed society, and in many cases are ambidextrous. Kudos to all you lefties out there.
    :rockwoot:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I do okay handling and shooting...adapt pretty well, but the selection in holsters is sometimes limited. My XD came with a right handed holster from Springfield. I thought I would replace it with the left handed one and guess what? Does not exist. Was looking at a Fobus I kinda liked at the 1500, and guess what...not available in left hand models...I could go on.(sigh.) :rolleyes:

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Left handed here also! I think I have just became accustom to shooting right handed guns! They never had any left handed AR's in the Marine Corps. We all got the same, so since then...I shoot whatever!

Now I may have to change the way I perform certain tasks but it all tends to work out with a little practice!

Its funny though, being left handed I play certain sports right handed, (golf, baseball, any throwing motion) but I cant shoot a rifle right handed it just feels odd and uncomfortable!

My biggest gripe is manufacturers that dont produce enough left handed holsters or the fact that they will charge you more for a left handed design/color...

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I grew up shooting with both hands, thanks dad, I suggest that left handed shotgunners look into the Ithaca model 37, bottom eject so its nice for either hand.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Lefty here. Have to look for guns that either don't use a safety, have an ambi, or can be reversed. Bolt-actions are left-handed. Holsters are almost always special order or used from other lefties. Haven't really had much of a problem with getting hit in the face by brass from semi-autos, yet.

Top Bottom