How many left handed shooters we got here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I'm a lefty but have always used guns meant for right-handed people. The only trouble I have is some semi-autos that throw the brass back into my face or down my shirt. I don't keep those long.:D I can shoot right-handed ok and actually CC right-handed. The weird thing is I swing a ballbat and golf club right-handed and use many of my tools(I'm an industrial mechanic) right-handed.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I'm left handed, and left eye dominant but I had to learn to do a lot of things right handed because we couldn't afford the more expensive left handed items when I was growing up, like guitars and golf clubs.
    But I can eat equally as well with either hand. :D
    As far as firearms, I've always been able to shoot with either hand.
    I just adapt to the righty controls on my weapons and chug along nicely. :)

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    My Uncle by marriage that has been teaching/training me is a lefty. But I didn't know this until one day I saw him writing and drawing a diagram for me left handed. He said one day in his teen years, he tried shooting right handed and did better right handed than he did shooting left handed so he stuck with shooting with his right and never looked back.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    I'm left handed, and left eye dominant
    But I can eat equally as well with either hand. :D

Reminds me of my 5yr old daughter. She writes left handed, picks up fork or spoon with her left hand, can eat with both but prefers using her left.

But when it comes to throwing a ball, swinging a bat or playing swords or toy guns it is right handed all the way.

I call her my daughter-son. lol she will pick jeans and a t-shirt any day over a dress, and prefers hot wheels and toys you play in the dirt with over barbies!!!! OH, and her favorite color is blue! (thank you big guy above!!)

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I'm a lefty.
    Left eye dominate I should say. I shoot everything lefty.
    I own 2 left handed guns, a Rem. 1100 and a Savage 116.
    The rest are rightys.
    Of course my bows are all lefty.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am right handed in some things and left handed in others. I am left eye dominant. I am proficient with either hand with my handguns but only shoot long guns left handed. Since I rarely shoot long guns this isn't a problem.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I shoot all left and am lefty in everything except Golf and swinging a baseball bat.

I have a buddy that is lefty. He got a lefthanded Browning A-Bolt. Shoots very well with it. On a side note, I'm dominately right handed, but I fish lefthanded reels.

I always found righty baitcast and spincast reels the best for a lefty because I can cast with my left hand and then go straight to the reel with my right. On a spinning reel I switch the crank to the right side. Apparently AKs are better for lefties too and other than the safety I can see that.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Add me to the list. I do bat and play golf right handed...but I do everything else left handed. And due to some nerve issues in my right arm due to computer work....I switched the mouse over to my left hand too. Cleared up my right arm issues. :)

Twiggsx1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    Indy
    Left handed here, bat and golf with right hand, shoot left found a lot of good holsters for right hand not a lot for left had to go on line and order

Farscape

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    I was born a pure lefty but my teachers didn't like kids using the devil's hand. I do everything right handed except for shooting a rifle.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I was born a pure lefty but my teachers didn't like kids using the devil's hand. I do everything right handed except for shooting a rifle.
    The Nuns tried to change me to a right hander in Grade School.
    After Mom and the Old Man got through explaining to them that it wasn't going to happen that way, they stopped. :)

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Left handed, left eye dominate. I shoot long guns left handed. All of them are right handed. My Ar does have ambi controls on it. I right side carry handguns and am able to shoot them equally well right or left handed.
    Later, Bob

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I have found that FN makes some really quality weapons, and most are VERY easy for us lefty's to use. Their FNX pistols are what I am speaking of, and man they are sweet!

11B20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    I shoot long guns left handed. Pistols either handed. Only problem shooting left handed is sometimes the brass from my AR15 hits me.

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    Lefty here as well. I learned to really appreciate my brass deflector when I was in Basic Training. I shoot mostly left handed bolt or lever action long guns. I do have a Browning .22 automatic that ejects out bottom so it's works well for a lefty. For handguns I have a CZ 85 that i really like and a S&W .38 bodyguard that works well for a lefty.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It seems to me that the well rounded shooter can shoot equally well from any position and with any handgun or rifle from either right or left.

That is what I strive for. And practice to achieve.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I shoot all left and am lefty in everything except Golf and swinging a baseball bat.

I always found righty baitcast and spincast reels the best for a lefty because I can cast with my left hand and then go straight to the reel with my right. On a spinning reel I switch the crank to the right side. Apparently AKs are better for lefties too and other than the safety I can see that.

I had a power tool "incident" and I'm missing half of my left index finger. I had to change all my baitcasting reels to left hand retrieve so I can drape the line over my right index finger. I didn't have to change my spinning reels as I already retrieved lefty. It was actually a stroke of luck and I fish better left handed.

Top Bottom