• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There is a topic in the Indiana Hometown forum at AR15.COM about the home invasion and murder that occurred in rural Brown County earlier this week. I haven't seen a topic about it here yet (don't know why), but I had some thoughts about this issue that I posted over there. Below is what I wrote:

This senseless tragedy should underscore some realities that too many of us either forget or choose to deny. [snip]

Home invasions can happen anywhere at any time to anyone. It doesn't matter how nice your neighborhood is or how remote your location. You may be at less risk than some others, but it can happen to you. Remote locations may in fact encourage such invasions because they suggest to the violent criminals that they are less likely to be noticed and that police response will be woefully too late.

People who will enter your home when they know you are home are willing to kill you without hesitation.

Such invasions happen very quickly with little or no warning. You have to be able to react immediately without dithering. That's why it really makes sense to carry on your person all the time, even when you are home. You may have weapons stashed all over your house, but you may not have time to take the three steps across the room, much less move to a different room to retrieve a weapon with which to defend yourself.

Much like you have a plan for fires or tornadoes, you need a plan for invasions of your home. Planning what to do will help you react immediately even if circumstances prevent perfect execution of your plan. That plan should include all members of the family, even if their role is to hide in their bedroom. Hopefully you have taken measures to develop the skills you need to enact any such plan. Just owning a gun and being a decent marksman is helpful, but it's not adequate.

imprimis5

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    Plainfield, IN
    Good thoughts.

It seems like many people get the mentality of "I carry a gun, and I can make a decent group at the range. I'm safe now!" Unfortunately, this is only half or less of the battle.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I and my family have a plan, and a fall back plan, in case of a home invasion type scenario. We practice is just as we practice tornado and fire drills with our little girls.(fire prevention month is a big practice time as the girls 3-4 think it is fun that they have fire drills at school/daycare)

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Recommend anybody who is serious about self defense get hold of Jeff Cooper's [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Personal-Defense-Jeff-Cooper/dp/0873644972/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227283117&sr=1-1"]"Principles of Personal Defense."[/ame]

It's not about techniques, but about attitudes and philosophy. All the technique in the world won't help you if you don't have the right attitude.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I too live in a very remote area, in Morgan county. There is always a gun on my person as well as guns located at the ready around the house and garage within easy reach. All members of my family know where they are and how to use them. All I can say to home invaders to my home is.....:welcome:and we will respond with:ar15:. also I have a remote alarm to notify us if someone is coming down our drive and security cameras to see who it is. We will be ready and waiting:draw:.

Last edited:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    My glock 21 gets me to the safe. My safe door swings open so that I can stand behind it while looking at the door. So this becomes a "body sheild" while attaining the m1a or 1187.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    we've a plan at my house. unfortunately, it's "dad will take care of it...."

the NRA Personal Protection in the Home is a good start if you don't have a workable plan. ACT will be expanding on that program in the spring. it's more than guns, folks. you can't plan for every contingency, but you can and should make generalized plans.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    If you're counting on a locked door and a firearm as your first defense, odds are you're going to lose the race. For under $1000 you can be equipped with multiple motion sensors activateing alarms, remote cameras that will play automatically when tripped, and all this can be battery powered incase of a power out situation. This makes a fair first defense. Around here if you get by the 6 100+# dogs after running the alarm gauntlet, you're probably too tough to defeat anyway,:rolleyes: but don't bet on it. ;) Yes there is much more but only one way to find out what it is.:D

+1 on Coopers writings.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    we've a plan at my house. unfortunately, it's "dad will take care of it...."
    My plan is the same at the moment, 3 and 4 y.o. girls, but they KNOW what to do when the "Alarm word" is said! At even this young age, they know what to do in case of emergency. (the one thing I'll give the system, is that they teach children how to respond to emergencies, via tornado, and fire drills and such) We practice regularly with an alarm word, everyone(mom and the girls) retreat to a "safe" area where mom is armed and has comms. I am the first line and plan to secure or repel, and then move to the "safe area", and no one is to come out until the "safe word" is spoken. Sounds a little complicated explaining, but it's really very 3-4y.o. simple.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thank you again Rhino!
    Pause (went to move 1911 from 12 feet away to within arms reach.)

I honestly thought that you folks that carried every waking hour were paranoid (or lived in the scary parts of the city.) My thinking has changed in recent months.

I live in the sticks with motion lights and cameras that alert me to any activity. However, blind spots and unforeseen circumstances can occur. A knock on the door, in the middle of the night or any time of day, for those with "car problems" is a very realistic possibility here.

BTW - I am 7ish miles from the home invasion you mentioned. I have friends that are much closer.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Lets all also note that alarms, bells, whistles, lights, and screaming wives dont actually stop anyone. They may deter some people, but they dont physically stop anyone. In a rural area, like the one in question, they would probably be less effective since there might be no one around (except you) to help. All those things have their uses, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking they do more than they actually do.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lets all also note that alarms, bells, whistles, lights, and screaming wives dont actually stop anyone. They may deter some people, but they dont physically stop anyone. In a rural area, like the one in question, they would probably be less effective since there might be no one around (except you) to help. All those things have their uses, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking they do more than they actually do.

The last thing you want is something that is going to alarm a would be assailant. Any alarms should be used to warn the intended victim only. There has to be a great amount of attitude and just plain willingness to do the unspeakable involved when defending your home and family. Damn the consequences. They must be a subject for a later date and under different circumstances.

It's no longer paranoia when it is happening around you.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    my dogs make an excellent alarm. we keep them locked in which ever room we are in, and when ever there is a noise that i cant even here and when they are in a deep sleep my dogs awake from their sleep like they have been waiting for something to happen and they sit about 5 feet away from the door sitting and waiting and growling. thats just if there is a noise they hear. if its a person they would be the first to alert me with growling and showing teeth. no sence on having an alarm way out here no one to hear it and the police response is horrible. if there were to be a person invading my house i would still keep the door locked and have my wife an child go through the bathroom and lock it and then enter our walk in closet, leaving me and the dogs still in the bed room with the 12ga, and 1911 waiting, where as my wife and child are in the double lock bathroom closet with the AR15 and her pistol. (thats for a night invasion) daytime invasion and daily routine, i have a gun on me at all times unless im at work in a company car. at home my wife has access to all my guns and she has one with her at all times.

Last edited:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    EXCELLENT! reps for this one.

My plan is the same at the moment, 3 and 4 y.o. girls, but they KNOW what to do when the "Alarm word" is said! At even this young age, they know what to do in case of emergency. (the one thing I'll give the system, is that they teach children how to respond to emergencies, via tornado, and fire drills and such) We practice regularly with an alarm word, everyone(mom and the girls) retreat to a "safe" area where mom is armed and has comms. I am the first line and plan to secure or repel, and then move to the "safe area", and no one is to come out until the "safe word" is spoken. Sounds a little complicated explaining, but it's really very 3-4y.o. simple.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I've seen enough action movies that I feel 100% prepared to respond to any situation without any training at all.

Just kidding :) I would like to take some classes if I can find the time. That book looks interesting too.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    BTW - I am 7ish miles from the home invasion you mentioned. I have friends that are much closer.

My folks (lovemywoods) live just 1 mile south from where this occured. For those of you that attended NFA Day back in August, you drove right past this property.

They were a very nice couple. They had many yard sales, and the wife made delicious homeade pies. In fact, Dad had an old trailer for sale and the husband wanted it, so Dad traded him straight up for one of her pies! What makes it ever more tragic is that their grown children and grandchildren live directly across the street, and they have other family that lives nearby.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Motion Lights, 2 German Shepard's, and 1 Pit/Lab cross. I have the alarm part of the plan covered. I was surprised how many people will knock on your door and then can't look you in the eyes when you have a GS that's Shutzhund trained at your side.

Top Bottom