• ...and so much more!
  • Mottie

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2024
    Elwood
    I can see the headlines now. "Indiana man shoots at Eclipse; tells it to get off his lawn."

Although jokes aside, my smooth brain would actually like to see a video of tracers going to the blacked out sun. Just sounds cool.
    Nasa plans to shoot rockets towards the eclipse for study and observation.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Some Karen on Nextdoor app warned everyone to close your house’s curtains between 2 and 4pm Monday “for the safety of your pets.” If your pet doesn’t go blind on a normal day staring at the Sun when the Moon isn’t covering any of it, can’t figure out how it suddenly becomes more dangerous when some or all of the Sun’s disk is occulted by the Moon during an eclipse.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Does anyone have actual insight on state/regional mobilization related to this event?

Locally, we're just seeing the routine fair and festival preparations by people looking to cash in on transient stupidity.
    (Food, t-shirt, farmers market vendors setup in random locations)

A few small town parades and amateur concerts announced.

No increased patrols or resource staging observed.

Just curious.
    Yes.

An example of preparation is the emergency declaration. Its a formal step that allows Indiana to call on assistance, if needed, form various agencies - State, Federal and some agenices in other States.

The State Emergency Operations Center will be staffed from 10:00 Saturday morning until 10:00 pm Tuesday evening. Certain County EOCs will eihter be open or on standby.

County Emergency Management Agencies have developed plans appropriate to their Counties and Communities.

The Indiana Region of the American Red Cross has made preparations in advance of the event to carryout its mission to alleviate human suffering. As a Red Cross Volunteer we anticipate that our normal, day-to-day activities will be needed. Our planning includes our ability to respond to, for example, home fires on a timely basis. We have put 17 Shelter Teams on Standby across the Indiana Region in case of a larger disaster.

As part of the Red Cross planning them, the conditions that we have planned for include, among other things, volunteer availability, traffic delays impacting our service delivery and post disaster sheltering for ur disaster clients. On the latter point we expect housing our home fire clients more challenging this weekend due to the occupancy rates and room charges for Hotels/motels in the path of the eclipse.

Hope this helps your understanding.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Some Karen on Nextdoor app warned everyone to close your house’s curtains between 2 and 4pm Monday “for the safety of your pets.” If your pet doesn’t go blind on a normal day staring at the Sun when the Moon isn’t covering any of it, can’t figure out how it suddenly becomes more dangerous when some or all of the Sun’s disk is occulted by the Moon during an eclipse.
    Seen several posts on the book of faces about it as well.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Can anyone clarify what it is, exactly, that we're all supposed to be afraid of today? Scared to the point of declaring an emergency and telling people to stay home (restricting the ability to move about freely).

Or is this just playing on the fear of what could possibly happen and the fear of the unknown?

Wait. This sounds familiar. #CovidResponse

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Can anyone clarify what it is, exactly, that we're all supposed to be afraid of today? Scared to the point of declaring an emergency and telling people to stay home (restricting the ability to move about freely).

Or is this just playing on the fear of what could possibly happen and the fear of the unknown?

Traffic, busy restaurants.

It’s only an emergency so he can tap into funds for overtime, request mutual aid support, etc. it’s not really an emergency per se.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    drove along all sides of 465 yesterday afternoon. I did see a moon hippie from TN, but did not notice increased traffic patterns.
    I imagine there will be traffic leaving the area today. Notice people camping out at Hendricks CO fairgrounds Saturday morning.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    drove along all sides of 465 yesterday afternoon. I did see a moon hippie from TN, but did not notice increased traffic patterns.
    I imagine there will be traffic leaving the area today. Notice people camping out at Hendricks CO fairgrounds Saturday morning.
    Apparently a lot came in last night?

One of the news stations posted that they were seeing heavier than normal traffic on the highways inbound.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I used to be more like that. I didn't want to travel any distance for anything if it wasn't super easy and hassle free.

Then the kids moved away. The daughter gave us three grandsons. Suddenly I didn't bat an eye about a 10 hour drive to Virginia or KC, or a flight to California. Even a drive from Cali to Indiana and back wasn't such a big deal.

This led me to the shocking discovery that this country, especially out west, is downright spectacular. I mean, there are two holer, pit toilet, no running water, rest areas on I-70 in Utah with some of the most amazing views in North America.

There are things, places, and events that no pics or video will ever do justice.
    Ansel Adams

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

Who says anyone is afraid or scared? Seems like normal preparedness to me. No conspiracy.

Top Bottom