• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Waiting at a red light, guy behind me decides he wants to turn left, so he makes a hard turn to get into the turn lane and swipes my bummer. He takes off, run the red light. Well not to concerned about it, the bummer was damage anyways and after inspection if the guy had stopped I'd told him to forgot it about it because the damage was minor, and I was getting the bummer replaced anyways. For a second I thought about giving chase, but cool heads prevailed.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Waiting at a red light, guy behind me decides he wants to turn left, so he makes a hard turn to get into the turn lane and swipes my bummer. He takes off, run the red light. Well not to concerned about it, the bummer was damage anyways and after inspection if the guy had stopped I'd told him to forgot it about it because the damage was minor, and I was getting the bummer replaced anyways. For a second I thought about giving chase, but cool heads prevailed.

Yes, yes they certainly do. (suck)

People like that are the same ones that hate the police. The police get in the way of their lifestyle.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I am familiar with the area. Unfortunately, nowhere is immune to this behavior, and it is very common. A police report won't help either, however, we can provide one for insurance purposes. All I can say, is people do indeed suck.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Can I ask where this happened? I am extremely familiar with hit and runs in Indianapolis. And you did the right thing; nothing good will come of chasing them.

Agreed, no good will come from chasing. Call in the cavalry on this one.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I think you might get even money bets on one of those, but any of them?
    We're going to need better odds than that... NO BET

I honestly take very few accidents in Indy where both parties have all required documentation. I'm usually surprised if they do. It makes things so much easier if everyone has a license, registration, and insurance. In fact, if everyone has all required info and there are no injuries, police really aren't needed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I honestly take very few accidents in Indy where both parties have all required documentation. I'm usually surprised if they do. It makes things so much easier if everyone has a license, registration, and insurance. In fact, if everyone has all required info and there are no injuries, police really aren't needed.

About every traffic encounter we as a family have had in 40 years seldom does all the credentials get provided from the other driver. We always have ours. Always.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    About every traffic encounter we as a family have had in 40 years seldom does all the credentials get provided from the other driver. We always have ours. Always.

My favorite is when they say they don't keep their registration in the vehicle because they don't want someone to get a hold of it and register the car in their name... :facepalm:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

I had an accident on the way to work a few years ago. Lady’s windshield covered in ice, didn’t even bother to clear a spot to see from, decided to turn onto a side street across my lane and I t boned her. Had a witness behind me, police came and got our info, etc. I still had to fight with her insurance co, sent them the police report and spent a month arguing with them before they paid for it. Their excuse was “she claimed you were speeding”. My response was, well that makes her that much more stupid for pulling across a lane into oncoming traffic then doesn’t it? I couldn’t imagine having to fight her insurance without a police report and witness on my side.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

Rear-end several years ago, person provides required documents, called the insurance company, jack-rabbit had cancel the insurance after one month. Long enough to get an insurance card.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I had an accident on the way to work a few years ago. Lady’s windshield covered in ice, didn’t even bother to clear a spot to see from, decided to turn onto a side street across my lane and I t boned her. Had a witness behind me, police came and got our info, etc. I still had to fight with her insurance co, sent them the police report and spent a month arguing with them before they paid for it. Their excuse was “she claimed you were speeding”. My response was, well that makes her that much more stupid for pulling across a lane into oncoming traffic then doesn’t it? I couldn’t imagine having to fight her insurance without a police report and witness on my side.

The thing is, I don't decide who is at fault. I literally just take what both parties say happened and type it out. We don't take pictures unless serious injury or death occur. It's still up to insurance to decide who is at fault. A witness is probably second to best, only behind a dash camera. I have taken many reports that I, myself, still have no idea what actually happened.

If I were to get in a traffic accident, knowing what I know now, here is what I would do. Immediately get pictures of the damage to both vehicles, and where in the road they are. Pictures will tell the store better than anyone involved. Then immediately move off the road if the vehicles are operable enough to move to a parking lot or to the edge of the road way. Get all the other parties info (I suggest taking a picture of their ID, registration, and insurance, and get a phone number), and any witnesses if they are so kind to stick around and provide their info (name and phone number). Call my insurance and tell them what happened.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Waiting at a light in Hamilton Co. back in October.
    Truck in front of me with his left turn signal on in the center lane.
    I pull up behind him giving myself enough room to go around if I need to.
    The truck’s reverse lights blink on and off several times.
    The light turns green and the truck comes at me in reverse and drives his trailer hitch through bumper on the van.
    Guy gets out and I ask him if he is having a problem with his medication or something.
    Guy tells me I hit him in the rear so it’s my fault.
    Passenger gets out and says he is having problem with his gas.
    Driver tells her to shut up and get back in the truck.
    I had the van repaired but still no check from his insurance.
    What would you do?

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Rear-end several years ago, person provides required documents, called the insurance company, jack-rabbit had cancel the insurance after one month. Long enough to get an insurance card.

That would fool a police officer too though. I do not verify if insurance is valid on scene. Their license would be suspended once the BMV finds out through a submitted report. The idea is though, if you have their identity, such as a picture of their ID, you could sue them in small claims court for your loses. But you know the saying about blood from a turnip.

If their insurance is not valid, or they simply were never insured, your insurance would then just pay out under whatever your "uninsured driver" policy says. That will be different depending on your individual policy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The light turns green and the truck comes at me in reverse and drives his trailer hitch through bumper on the van.
    Guy gets out and I ask him if he is having a problem with his medication or something.
    What would you do?

I would have paid attention to the reverse lights. I have seen this before.
    No knock on you.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    What would you do?

I'd call my agent and tell them they need to cut me a check for the damages and to let me know how their suit against the other company goes.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    What would you do?

With that, your best bet is getting a witness' info, or hope the other party is an honest individual. Without that, it is your word versus his, and unfortunately without an officer witnessing what happened with his/her own eyes, it is just that. Insurance companies are businesses, and are not out to help you. They will try not to pay out if they can find a way. Although, Hamilton Co police are not quite as busy as Indy, and they might investigate property damage traffic accidents, I honestly don't know how they do it, but can't imagine a minor accident will get too much attention. Accidents like you described will not be investigated in Indy unless serious injury or death occur. Even hit and run accidents wont be investigated unless the same apply. The crash investigation unit just does not have the time or man power to keep up with the volume of accidents. They must pick and choose.

If you have the other driver's info, you can try suing small claims court, and have a judge decide if they have to pay you for your losses. But you have to ask yourself if it is worth the trouble/cost. It sucks, but it sounds like you'll be eating that cost.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    In this day and age my dashcam stays on. I do need to re-position the rear camera. I had it inside because I would give people rides, not so much outside of family now.

Top Bottom