• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Hiking conditions have vastly improved from Walmart parking lots.

One thing I will say… walking in sand uses different muscles because I am extremely sore and not doing near the miles as I normally do. I think it has a lot to do with walking along the slanted shoreline.

Brisk down here today only a high of 75 :cool:

Attachments

• B6A5704A-D59E-4E20-BF31-CDE8C6CBC44F.jpeg
      B6A5704A-D59E-4E20-BF31-CDE8C6CBC44F.jpeg
      365.4 KB · Views: 2
    • E2F30F92-7FC3-4C64-9248-C0E6C4255FF5.jpeg
      E2F30F92-7FC3-4C64-9248-C0E6C4255FF5.jpeg
      303.4 KB · Views: 2

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Got myself a new hiking partner. I all but had to make him go, but he went, and had a blast! I took him to turkey run, he was amazed, he did over 7 miles, and not hardly a whimper. Heck we even did the 140 steps without stopping, we sounded like a couple old men at the top, but we got up them :lmfao: View attachment 230315 View attachment 230316

That's fabulous ! Way to go (both of you). :)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Hiking conditions have vastly improved from Walmart parking lots.

One thing I will say… walking in sand uses different muscles because I am extremely sore and not doing near the miles as I normally do. I think it has a lot to do with walking along the slanted shoreline.

Brisk down here today only a high of 75 :cool:
    I hiked on South Padre Island(drove my Land Rover to mile 30 hiked 3 days to the tip and back to my rover). It would have not been possible if I had not made friends with a couple park rangers who assisted with water that I happily agreed to pay for.

It was interesting in that few people go past the mile 25 marker, so I was almost totally alone every day(other than the rangers who patrol 2x a day and the rare 4x4 vehicle that went further). The sand turns into a mine field of broken shells at some points as well. I have decided I do not like sand and beach hiking in general. While it was interesting and beautiful... chaffing when you do not have the ability to shower and little fresh water is a problem with so much sand and salt. Things were raw and not in a good way. I to was very sore muscle wise,hiking tilted on a beach for sure uses different muscles. Sand also limits your stride and absorbs energy. I found hiking on the "wet" sand easier during low tide (but on occasion you hit mushy sinking sand so it is a risk). Thinks, yea not doing any hiking like that again(it was my second attempt on the island to reach the tip,the first ended due to a tropical storm).

That trip ended with around a week of recovery at the local Ramada Inn,before moving on to my next destination.
    *tip have a reliable water source and avoid mushy sand(and shoes full of sand/sea creatures)

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I did an unplanned off trail hike today.
    New fence for my German Shepherd. Not 4 feet from me less than 10 minutes in the fence...yep she pushed under it and howled "freedom" Thus began my tyrannical adventure/hike.
    ....I RAN right on her tail,for about 2 miles through some steep valleys and brush. I could almost catch her on the uphill,but down hill she is just to damn fast. She is getting tired to though. I am a fairly agile guy, I got within 3 feet a few times. I lost her visually at this point when she had a new burst of energy. I am not that young any more and this was getting to absurdity levels. I had only tracks,and after 15 minutes of following I lost those in leaves. Total mileage probably 5-6.

Finally, I accepted her genetic superiority for blazing new trails in rough terrain and hiked back home(at a slower but still good pace).

I Put out a message she was out to neighbors and a few others. This gets interesting at this point. I have some amazing neighbors,they have loads of friends and family. The location of my missing dog goes out on FB( I do not have one,I was told it did).
    Now. To give you an idea how seriously the area I live in takes a missing dog....an ultralight joins the search less than 45 minutes after I get home (or he was bored and well why not fly around looking for a dog?). I see said ultralight fly over my house(I am out trying to dog proof this new fence I had just proudly finished earlier in the day).

Get a call she has been spotted. Drive to a house near it and hop out. Yes,they had seen her(home owners and apparently my aerial surveillance unit) but a 45 minute search of the woods and I spot only tracks and a couple deer. No dog.

I hike back to my car(lets call it about a mile and a half including the search area). It is 15 minutes until darkness over takes the sky.

Drive home.

Get home and yell for said dog. Yes,she is BACK in her fence with a look like "what dad I am where I am supposed to be". Me internally "if she can get back in the fence she can get out,more work needs to be done". Also me,goes into the house opens the back door lets dog in,places her in her kennel and starts supper.
    So how was your afternoon and evening on the trail lol?

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    New fence for my German Shepherd. Not 4 feet from me less than 10 minutes in the fence...yep she pushed under it and howled "freedom" Thus began my tyrannical adventure/hike.
    ....I RAN right on her tail,for about 2 miles through some steep valleys and brush. I could almost catch her on the uphill,but down hill she is just to damn fast. She is getting tired to though. I am a fairly agile guy, I got within 3 feet a few times. I lost her visually at this point when she had a new burst of energy. I am not that young any more and this was getting to absurdity levels. I had only tracks,and after 15 minutes of following I lost those in leaves. Total mileage probably 5-6.

Finally, I accepted her genetic superiority for blazing new trails in rough terrain and hiked back home(at a slower but still good pace).

I Put out a message she was out to neighbors and a few others. This get interesting at this point. I have some amazing neighbors,they have loads of friends and family. The location of my missing dog goes out on FB( I do not have one,I was told it did).
    Now. To give you an idea how seriously the area I live in takes a missing dog....an ultralight joins the search less than 45 minutes after I get home (or he was bored and well why not fly around looking for a dog?). I see said ultralight fly over my house(I am out trying to dog proof this new fence I had just proudly finished earlier in the day).

Get a call she has been spotted. Drive to a house near it and hop out. Yes,they had seen her but a 45 minute search of the woods and I spot only tracks and a couple deer. No dog.

I hike back to my car(lets call it about a mile and a half including the search area). It is 15 minutes until darkness over takes the sky.

Drive home.

Get home and yell for said dog. Yes,she is BACK in her fence with a look like "what dad I am where I am supposed to be". Me internally "if she can get back in the fence she can get out,more work needs to be done". Also me,goes into the house opens the back door lets dog in,places her in her kennel and starts supper.

Free exercise .... you lucky man ! :cool:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle

I Put out a message she was out to neighbors and a few others. This gets interesting at this point. I have some amazing neighbors,they have loads of friends and family. The location of my missing dog goes out on FB( I do not have one,I was told it did).

Get a call she has been spotted. Drive to a house near it and hop out. Yes,they had seen her(home owners and apparently my aerial surveillance unit) but a 45 minute search of the woods and I spot only tracks and a couple deer. No dog.

Drive home.

She said cmon dad I want to go hiking!!!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Completely forgot to post them here, got a couple cool shots at turkey run with the boy last weekend. View attachment 233677
    Not to mention the boy completed the “5” mile challenge, made it all the way up the 140 steps without stopping again. Pretty proud of him!
    My two daughters also completed that “5” mile challenge did you guys get your stickers !? lol

i do wish the challenge was labeled correctly…… my gps showed 8 miles at the end of the hike If I remember correctly

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    My two daughters also completed that “5” mile challenge did you guys get your stickers !? lol

i do wish the challenge was labeled correctly…… my gps showed 8 miles at the end of the hike If I remember correctly
    Yep, got the stickers for sure. My app showed 7.9 miles, even not detouring around the closed trail it’s still well over 5.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Yep, got the stickers for sure. My app showed 7.9 miles, even not detouring around the closed trail it’s still well over 5.
    If it is the same section of trail that’s out I did not detour and still showed I thought 8 I could be mistaken though. That was starting at the HQ

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    If it is the same section of trail that’s out I did not detour and still showed I thought 8 I could be mistaken though. That was starting at the HQ
    Yep, the detour is to go down the ladders, out to trail 5(?) then back to trail ten where you hook back up with the route, of course we did it backwards for the fun of climbing the stairs. Them stairs are no joke either :faint:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I do not think they have updated maps at Turkey run in 10+ years,however the trails certainly have changed routes. If you have never been or are not familiar with it you will end up hiking longer than you planned on most of the trails at Turkey run...and much longer if can not figure out the "map". Knowing even just N,E,S,and West helps greatly. I have encountered more than one lost(how? well because they did not understand where they are and had been or which way they needed to go). Those maps do need a serious upgrade as does the number system for the trails in general.

Sarcasm follows.
    Oh, you want to hike trail 9? Easy take trail 1 across the bridge,then get on trail 4 and head west,until it turns into trail 3,follow that south west but do not turn north on 3. Just stay on it until it turns into 5. Follow 5 until it turns into 9(again do not take 5 north or you end up on 3 again). Enjoy your hike on 9,not many people use that trail.....by the time you are done hiking 9 you will likely have some clue how to get back to trail one(slight giggle).

Now seriously. That is the easiest route to trail 9.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So….. asking for a friend any particular brand of synthetic T-shirt’s you professionals prefer? Or not as crucial as underwear and socks
    I must have missed this? You can spend a small fortune on sythetic t-shirts. You can even spend $150+ if you want a real wool t-shirt. I have tried a few out(synthetic and wool). These,though a bit heavier in construction(they are not super thin shirts)hold up very well. I still have a couple I wore on the AT and they are still 100% wearable,and due to the material do not stain in any way. They also dry quickly.

So best for the money.
    Amazon product ASIN B01ES40HZG

They have these as well. The main difference being the thickness of the material. They are a bit lighter(not much really) and do dry just as well. They have a down side though. Durability goes out the window. A few snags on thorns and they will be rags. I have tried them out though. They are also out of stock currently.
    Amazon product ASIN B00KQFK2ZM

Last edited:
    Top Bottom