• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Tied my fastest mile time today, also did something not very good to something in the back of my knee or right at the bottom of my hamstring. After a couple hill runs it was definitely letting me know it wasn’t happy. I told it to suck it up and kept going, probably not my wisest moment. I’m afraid I might need to skip a weekend, it’ll be my first weekend I haven’t hiked since March if I do. I’m hoping to do the trail from Greencastle to Amo in a few weeks, 22 miles round trip, but mostly flat gravel.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Tied my fastest mile time today, also did something not very good to something in the back of my knee or right at the bottom of my hamstring. After a couple hill runs it was definitely letting me know it wasn’t happy. I told it to suck it up and kept going, probably not my wisest moment. I’m afraid I might need to skip a weekend, it’ll be my first weekend I haven’t hiked since March if I do. I’m hoping to do the trail from Greencastle to Amo in a few weeks, 22 miles round trip, but mostly flat gravel.
    Hunting season and injuries have slowed me drastically but I will be back at it after I fill some tags and heal up.

I think my injuries were from going to hard to often which sounds like maybe where yours come from too lol

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Put some ice on your biceps femoris. Sounds like you over extended or over rotated it(if you turned going up hill running I would go with over rotated,as in making an uphill turn). I ran cross country for a long time and the later was a fairly common injury. High speed,up hill(can happen downhill as well),and a turn that your body lags behind your lower leg(or gets ahead of your lower leg). You do not feel that on the front of your knee,but where it connects just below your knee in the back. You should for sure take it easy for awhile.
    https://www.physio-pedia.com/Biceps_Femoris

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    You’re no fun anymore :lmfao:
    Ok fine. If you do not want to take it easy,just go get you one of these. Because if you do not take it easy you will need it any way.
    You can now possibly see JUST how fast you can go down hill! It will be great. I will even film it for you! I could not let my friend down...I will be there! I am still fun!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Ok fine. If you do not want to take it easy,just go get you one of these. Because if you do not take it easy you will need it any way.
    You can now possibly see JUST how fast you can go down hill! It will be great. I will even film it for you! I could not let my friend down...I will be there! I am still fun!
    That looks like a hold my beer moment :lmfao: Fine, I’ll take it easy, going to be in the 20’s next Sunday morning anyway, I’ll just walk slow and wear extra payers!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Got my first snow hiking in, not much snow on the trails but enough on the ground to make everything quiet and peaceful. I only did 6 miles, mostly flat, no running, and avoided the big hills because @smokingman threatened to put me in a wheelchair, and the knee is still a little sore.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Got my first snow hiking in, not much snow on the trails but enough on the ground to make everything quiet and peaceful. I only did 6 miles, mostly flat, no running, and avoided the big hills because @smokingman threatened to put me in a wheelchair, and the knee is still a little sore.
    Hey,you wanted me to be more fun. Also,in no way did I threaten to put you in a wheelchair.
    My way would have certainly been more fun for me(and you...well you at least for a short time).

Glad you are taking it easy,but still getting out and getting to enjoy it.

Me,I only did 12 miles all last week and zero of that was after it snowed.

I will get out for a few days and over night soon. Trying to decide where I want to go though. I enjoy Hickory Ridge this time of year,but from what I hear water at the creek(about a mile south)has been super low. So may just do something a bit closer to home(Turkey Run or Shades).

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Hey,you wanted me to be more fun. Also,in no way did I threaten to put you in a wheelchair.
    My way would have certainly been more fun for me(and you...well you at least for a short time).

I will get out for a few days and over night soon. Trying to decide where I want to go though. I enjoy Hickory Ridge this time of year,but from what I hear water at the creek(about a mile south)has been super low. So may just do something a bit closer to home(Turkey Run or Shades).

Turkey Run is always a great choice, IMO. :thumbsup:
    I've been in colder weather, and the canyons and ice formations really set it apart.

This was early Spring of 2014.

DSC00097-L.jpg

DSC00110-L.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle

I’ve got a week off in a couple weeks, hopefully the weather will be decent so I can get out a few times. No overnight trips for me yet, still working on getting the basic gear, hopefully by spring I’ll be ready to get out for an overnight.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    That was a brisk hike. Turns out I way over dressed and could feel the sweat building about two miles in, opened my coat to get some air moving to help dry my shirts, but it just wasn’t going to happen, only thing I knew to do was push on and keep myself warm by pushing harder. Got 7 miles in, definitely didn’t set any records but I thought I had pretty good mile times considering I had on and extra 152.4 pounds of clothes :faint:
    D0DEB9D2-C117-4D66-81D7-E4DB8A29C1D0.jpeg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    So got in 7 chilly miles this morning, and the wife informed me that I was not, under any circumstance, hiking on Christmas. Apparently she doesn’t want to be left alone with two sleep deprived kids all juiced up on sugar :dunno: So that leaves Saturday. It’s going to be around-6 Saturday morning, anybody got any good frigid weather tips? I’m thinking just a few miles will be more than enough considering we are supposed to have like 500” of snow to accompany the cold!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have found hunting season is my “off” time lol because it completely through my hiking schedule in the blender. That combined with injury and a long list of excuses I have not been keeping up with my goals. Not like I was just sitting on a couch but my daily miles are definitely not what they were when I was doing 4 miles daily before 7am…. I will get back to it I also found out I hate hiking in the pitch black

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I have found hunting season is my “off” time lol because it completely through my hiking schedule in the blender. That combined with injury and a long list of excuses I have not been keeping up with my goals. Not like I was just sitting on a couch but my daily miles are definitely not what they were when I was doing 4 miles daily before 7am…. I will get back to it I also found out I hate hiking in the pitch black
    So far my excuses haven’t been good enough, and I really tried to talk myself out of it this morning! Luckily my knee healed after a couple weeks, unfortunately I missed my first hike a couple weeks ago, I was sick and my little one was sick. Fortunately I’ve been able to get back in the swing of it. I don’t mind hiking in the very early morning, but pitch black doesn’t sound fun.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    This is not a resolution lol just happy timing. Hunting season is done injury excuse out the window…. Back to my minimum 4 miles per day. Today I forced myself to get it in the backyard which is punishing always being so close to your back door and easy to quit. Much easier going to miles out because you have no choice but to go 2 miles back lol

Will have to sort some things out because like I said walking in pitch black is awful… good way to raise your heart rate though between bedded deer and turkeys. I post here since this is a mix of fitness and hiking considering my ultimate goal of 4 miles per day is to be in good shape for longer more challenging hikes and / or hunts.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Rough day to be hiking Mt. Washington

I just got home and saw this. Not a place I want to visit again.

Currently it is only -55F with a light breeze of 54mph,earlier today as the front moved through it was a balmy -45F but a bit windy with sustained 97mph winds(wind chill was -109F and gust to 107MPH).

*edit. They released official data. The wind was only 87mph sustained,but the highest gust was 127mph.Not sure what -46F(without windchill) is with with windchill from 127mph winds,but you would not last long wearing any gear I know of and it would be impossible to do anything but crawl. *last link

Last edited:
    Top Bottom