• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The Mossberg 600 was The Service Merchandise version of the 500. Literally no difference from the 500s.

and store exclusives are still happening today in general merchandise, except not in a good way.
    Walmart is the worst.

Shark: “we wanot to sell this model 500 vacuum at your stores. It retails for $500. “
    Walmart:”hmmm. No. We want it to sell for no more than $500.”
    Shark: “But that is below our cost!”
    Walmart: “Too bad. IF you want to sell it, that is what you will charge.”
    Shark: “fine. We will make a Walmart exclusive one Then.“

So you buy the $500 Shark 500 at Target and you get a high quality vac with a great metal housed motor, lots of accessories, etc. But if you look closely at the ”same” one at Walmart the packaging is identical. EXCEPT… the model number is actually a “500WM”. That one has a cheap plastic housing motor, half the accessories, etc.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've had a couple of store brand .22 rifles. One was a semi-auto, made by Savage Stevens. It may have been a model 87H. The other was a Revelation "hammerless" lever action .22 rifle which shot shorts, longs and long rifle ammo. They both were solid guns and accurate. Nothing fancy, but compared to today's guns, the bluing was very good and the wood finishes looked fine.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    My first rifle was a Glenfield model 75c, same as the Marlin 60. Bought at the Ben Franklin 5 and Dime hardware store when I was 15 years old. No parents needed, no permission slips, Cash & Carry. My little brother still runs that rifle in the squirrel Woods.

I bought a 22 from Western Auto when I was a teenager but couldn't buy any ammo for it. I had to have my older brother buy shells for me. Oh how the times have changed...

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have an old Sears & Roebuck branded model 66, 12g semi-auto with vent rib and poly choke. It was given to me as a project by a coworker a handful of years ago because it had a broken stock. So, I went shortly after that to the 1500 and within 10 minutes of being there scored a stock for it. What made it even better is the finish matched the forearm quite well.
    I'm not sure when Sears started using J.C. Higgins (mine doesn't have the J.C. Higgins markings at all. Just Sears & Roebuck) as their store branded name so it's kind of hard to nail down when it was made. But, based on my research it looks like they were produced from 1947-1960 and research indicates it was manufactured by High Standard.
    After I acquired the stock, I had a gunsmith take it all apart and give it a good cleaning and check for any broken parts. Turns out it was in good working order. I have used it a few times chasing bunnies
    I'm sure it doesn't carry much value but it does function quite well and I'm a sucker for old shotguns

Edit- I looked up the catalog number again and it looks to have been sold from 1957-1960. Rather than what I typed above

Last edited:

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I bought this Mossberg 600 New Haven 12 Gauge at a Woolco store in the early 80s. Mossberg called the 600 model that was sold through Montgomery Ward, Western Auto and Woolworth stores the New Haven. It came with the C-Lect choke. I believe I paid about $125.
    Times have changed.
    P1020768 (2).JPG

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ted Williams a famous baseball player not only had guns in his name but fishing and camping items also. Maybe even clothing line but that I can not prove at this time.

Outside of marketplace store guns Browning did a very good job of outsourcing nice fishing bow hunting and camping items to bear the brand name. None of these to my knowledge were made by browning but all seemed to be quality items back in the day. Unfortunately they did decrease in quality over time. I have a couple nice browning knives and a few spinning rods and reels.

Reactions: Leo

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    There's a hardware store in Syracuse that advertises gun sales. Haven't been in, but would like to sometime. It's across from the movie theatre.
    Been in several times. Not much stock due to the shortages. I did just pick up eight pounds of 244 and some .45 Auto brass though. Old timey feel to the place. I really like it.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I have a western auto 16 ga pump, pre serial number, same as a mossy 500, in fact the trigger groups are interchangeable . also a sears single shot bolt action 22, my first gun. and a bridge co 16 ga single barrel

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My favorite .410 pump said "Coast to Coast Hardware" on it. That was 1/2 the reason I bought it. It was made by Savage. Fun little gun. I almost bought an S.S. Kresge 12 gauge O/U but it had a bulge in the barrel. It was made in Japan, I think it was made by Miroku, the place that makes some Brownings.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a bolt action single shot 16ga. shotgun marked JC Higgins. I have no idea who actually manufactured it. Sears store brand is about all I know of it.
    Most of the JC Higgins bolt actions have been recalled. Seems like they were made by Noble gun company. The lugs break off the bolt and you will never work as a movie star again. The information is on the internet. Basically, you mail them the bolt and serial number, and they send you a check for $160. Of course the gun becomes scrap. I would look it up and see if yours is one of those.

The defective guns are still probably safer the Pfizer vaccines.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought a 22 from Western Auto when I was a teenager but couldn't buy any ammo for it. I had to have my older brother buy shells for me. Oh how the times have changed...
    There were ads in the back of Boys Life Magazines where you could sell greeting cards and earn prizes. Everything a young Boy Scout would want. Knives, fishing gear, camping gear, basic photography stuff, and BSA approved rifles. A single shot or a repeater. Redeem your points and the mail man would bring it to your door. You had to sell a LOT of boxes of cards to get a rifle. I was not that good of a salesman.

I always wondered if anyone still has one of those rifles.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I bought this Mossberg 600 New Haven 12 Gauge at a Woolco store in the early 80s. Mossberg called the 600 model that was sold through Montgomery Ward, Western Auto and Woolworth stores the New Haven. It came with the C-Lect choke. I believe I paid about $125.
    Times have changed.
    View attachment 181463
    Mine's the same model! That twist choke is interesting.

Top Bottom