• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    My beagles worked a groundhog for a half an hour before one got a good opening and then it was a tug of war with him. Neither got bit this time so they have learned which end to avoid. Patience

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Seeing as I'll have to take whatever shot is offered it's time to think about
    1) dead right there
    and
    2) no ricochets.

.22 Short hollow point would be good but no, I want more put down.
    .22LR's can skip about like a flat rock at the creek.
    So OK, got it covered: The .41 Magnum rifle with a pure lead flat nosed wadcutter paper patched, run through the .410 diameter sizer and load it with just enough powder to get it there. Might even load the hollow base wadcutter backwards.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    For no bullet skip I would think 17HMR to be the rimfire choice,
    For centerfire, a .22 hornet (if trying to be polite).

Most of my chucks fell to varmint cartridges, .22 mag, .22 hornet, .222 and 223 rem, 22-250, 243.
    Some other bigger stuff too.
    Plus shotguns, muzzleloaders and handguns from .22 lr to .44 magnum.
    Whacked em w arrows from various recurves and compounds too (good creekbank stalking fun).

Centerfire of non frangible bullet was done in wooded settings where hills were backstops.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    First one I've seen here in 13 years. Shocked me when I seen him moving into the corner of the garden.

I was a little more shocked when he ran twenty yards after rolling. I was in a hurry so no autopsy, but only a slight amount of blood in and around mouth. 17HMR at 35 yards, would have expected DRT. Couldn't readily find entrance wound and was no exit. It was longwise when I shot, so maybe a open mouth hit?

Buddy gave me crap for not cleaning the young critter. I wish I had. I would have liked to try it.

Considering this feller's youth, you gotta think there are more nearby? In case there are, what is the best method for skinning these?

20211008_121940.jpg

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I've killed 3 since early last year. And I've seen 2 others in the past 8 months on my property. These last 2 I've either only had a pistol on me and not a good shot or been in the house and seen them out the window and they're gone by the time I get out the door. 2 of the 3 I killed with a 22lr at around 35yds and the other one with an 11.5 AR at the same distance. One was in my driveway yesterday. Couldn't take a shot because a house and county road was in the bullet path behind him

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    I've got one that is tearing up my barn pretty bad, however every time I go outside he has heard me coming and darts underground from his perch. The door is like 50 yards away from him and I swear I creep out silently but he hears me literally every time. How can I draw him out? Hes really doing some damage. I'm using a .22WMR with 40 grain hollow points. Is that a good choice?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've got one that is tearing up my barn pretty bad, however every time I go outside he has heard me coming and darts underground from his perch. The door is like 50 yards away from him and I swear I creep out silently but he hears me literally every time. How can I draw him out? Hes really doing some damage. I'm using a .22WMR with 40 grain hollow points. Is that a good choice?

When I was young, we used to whistle them to poke their heads back out of the hole.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Last one I shot was in a tree. The barn is about 15-20 yards from the house and you can just see some limbs from around the front corner. Limbs were shaking like when Luke needed his privacy. Only thing I could think of was a coon. I slipped out there and was a little surprised. First time I ever saw that and never heard of it before. Haven’t seen it again.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Last one I shot was in a tree. The barn is about 15-20 yards from the house and you can just see some limbs from around the front corner. Limbs were shaking like when Luke needed his privacy. Only thing I could think of was a coon. I slipped out there and was a little surprised. First time I ever saw that and never heard of it before. Haven’t seen it again.

The young'uns will climb small trees, to chew the small branches I think. I have seen it and heard others speak of it also.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    30+ years ago my dog had 1 treed in my yard. First and last time I have personally seen it although have heard other guys refer to it. Made it easy to shoot him, small tree and he was on bottom limb. He stayed put with dog at tree base. Grabbed a .22, walked up, and shot him.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The young'uns will climb small trees, to chew the small branches I think. I have seen it and heard others speak of it also.
    30+ years ago my dog had 1 treed in my yard. First and last time I have personally seen it although have heard other guys refer to it. Made it easy to shoot him, small tree and he was on bottom limb. He stayed put with dog at tree base. Grabbed a .22, walked up, and shot him.
    Maybe someone should live trap one of these that are climbing the trees. Then maybe do some genetic testing. Maybe it's a new species! A treehog!

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I also have had my dog tree groundhogs back when I was young. In fact the terrier I had back then would go up the tree after them. Jim.

Top Bottom