• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Between the 1911 and the Glock pistols...the 1911 is definitely the better overall firearm!
    Accuracy, reliability, etc. are all tops with the 1911 platform, especially in .45 acp caliber!
    The only two (2) real drawbacks are weight (1911 metal frame) and capacity (.45 acp has 8 and 9mm has 9 in the single-stack magazine.)
    Today's 'modern' polymer-framed pistols reduce overall weight, allows one the option to increased their magazine capacity, and can be made in just about any size imaginable for concealment purposes...so there are benefits and reasons why people choose polymer-framed pistols, especially for EDC.
    That being said, if I was forced to choose just one (1) pistol, I would be hard-pressed not to choose a 1911!
    But I also like my Glocks so, when you want the best of both worlds, here would be my choice!

J4bkahg.jpg
    I bet they would sell a ton of those if they ever came out with one lol.

kjdoski

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Bloomington, IN

Okay people let's have your opinions.

Remember to keep it classy INGO.
    I've got a Gen5 G19 and multiple 1911s. Anytime I'm going to the range, I'm shooting a 1911, unless I'm specifically training someone on the use of a striker fired polymer pistol.

The Glock wins in the "logic" department - dead nuts reliable, accurate enough (especially the Gen5s), super simple to maintain, light weight and great capacity.

The 1911 wins in the "love" department - nothing feels as good in the hand as an all steel 5" 1911, and, if you can't shoot a 5" all steel 1911 well, you just can't shoot :-)

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I prefer 1911's, I carry a glock.

It comes down to size, weight, capacity, and finish.

I sweat rust. Literally sweat it. Ive rusted every stainless and blued gun ive carried.

Have yet to rust a glock, ever.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Same. I almost blew my nuts off with a Glock while holstering.
    Piece of fabric got in the way.
    I hate trigger safeties.

The trigger safety is a drop safety. It moves on a different plane than the trigger does. It is not to prevent inertial discharges, not obstructed triggers. The SCD aftermarket device mimics a hammer and lets you "thumb the hammer" to prevent obstructed holster discharges. I would not appendix carry a Glock without one, although many do. A non-zero number shoot themselves, though.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    The trigger safety is a drop safety. It moves on a different plane than the trigger does. It is not to prevent inertial discharges, not obstructed triggers. The SCD aftermarket device mimics a hammer and lets you "thumb the hammer" to prevent obstructed holster discharges. I would not appendix carry a Glock without one, although many do. A non-zero number shoot themselves, though.
    I carry a 43 appendix occasionally when I’m wanting to dress nice and still deep conceal. So far I still have both testicles, but if I have to choose which one to lose I’m hoping it’s the right one.

When I appendix carry the glock the gun goes into the holster, then the holster goes in place and stays there until the pants come off. When I have to use the restroom or anything I pull the entire holster out, so the trigger is never exposed. It isn’t 100% safe, but it greatly reduces risks of the trigger being caught on something because it’s never exposed.

I thought I would like the xd line because of the grip safety, turns out I loved the gun but hated the grip safety so only get it out to take to the range.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Both are great and while the Glock has the edge on lightweight carry, easy maintenance, and more ammo capacity...I feel the 1911 will never be outdated because of its known history in military roles and as an all steel pistol i imagine it will fair far better in its structural integrity in 50 years compared to a Glock's polymer frame.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Ford vs. Chevy doesn't matter if you can't drive.
    Gibson vs. Fender doesn't matter if you can't play the guitar.
    Glock vs. 1911 doesn't matter if you don't have the mindset, training, and skills necessary for the task at hand.
    Personally, I think there are larger more significant differences between individual skill levels than there are between good hardware.
    Yet, everyone wants to talk about hardware.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Ford vs. Chevy doesn't matter if you can't drive.
    Gibson vs. Fender doesn't matter if you can't play the guitar.
    Glock vs. 1911 doesn't matter if you don't have the mindset, training, and skills necessary for the task at hand.
    Personally, I think there are larger more significant differences between individual skill levels than there are between good hardware.
    Yet, everyone wants to talk about hardware.
    Amen! There are many miniscule differences between shooting a Glock and a 1911...both require an understanding of the pistol's design and shooting characteristics as well as sufficient experience, training, and developed skill in order to be able to shoot either proficiently or consistently!

Last edited:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Both are great and while the Glock has the edge on lightweight carry, easy maintenance, and more ammo capacity...I feel the 1911 will never be outdated because of its known history in military roles and as an all steel pistol i imagine it will fair far better in its structural integrity in 50 years compared to a Glock's polymer frame.
    While I agree in principle, my Gen 1 G17 seems to be good as my 1973 Colt 1911. No rust on either one:oldwise:
    I do hesitate to shoot my all original Colt 1943 1911 though.:nailbite:

Dcamp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2021
    Boone county
    I have a gen4 g19 and a Kimber 1911 Glock is my edc however I have a spot in my heart for 1911's my step dad my grandfather both carried 1911's as I grew up I just prefer the Glock as my edc

Top Bottom