• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My criticism is that they need to improve at a bit faster pace. When $350 guns come out with better features and better triggers, they have dropped the ball somewhere sitting on laurels.
    Realistically, Glock doesn't need to innovate any more than a 1911 maker does. They are just building the same, solid design that they have been doing for decades. Let others build innovative guns and Glocks can just be what they are.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I will say that I haven't spent a lot of time with the Gen 5 guns. I was slightly impressed the one time I did get to shoot one. What throws me off the Gen 5 is the absolutely ridiculous decision to do front and rear strap mag cutouts, instead of on the side where they are useful.

They dropped the mag cut outs. Current production doesn't have them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Realistically, Glock doesn't need to innovate any more than a 1911 maker does. They are just building the same, solid design that they have been doing for decades. Let others build innovative guns and Glocks can just be what they are.

What is an innovative gun? That's actually a much more interesting discussion to me then yet another Glock vs 1911.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    You must be living under a rock!

"It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on your airport X-ray machines here, and it costs more than what you make in a month!"―John McClane on the Glock

Yep, with a 1911 right next to me.
    My friend hadn't created dirt yet so he let me shelter under a rock! :hehe:

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    "Glocks are pioneers of the polymer framed firearms..."
    Not really. I bought this polymer framed Remington in 1978:
    w0BHJoW.jpg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Have you heard of pilot mountain firearms? I've been interested in their firearms for awhile now. I've not heard any reviews on them that I can remember. What is your take on them?

They look nice after reading the specs on the website , cannot say I have heard of them before. At that price point you are in Nighthawk territory and call me crazy but that is where I would drop 3k on a 1911 right now.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What is an innovative gun? That's actually a much more interesting discussion to me then yet another Glock vs 1911.
    The biggest innovation I've seen in a while with handguns is the modular frame design. Everything else has been incremental improvements.

I used to give Glock grief about the lack of innovation but am now more of the mindset that a Glock that showed true innovation would no longer be a Glock. Innovation can cause reliability issues until its been in the field for a while. Glock represents simple, robust and reliable. I don't carry them any longer but respect what they are.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The biggest innovation I've seen in a while with handguns is the modular frame design. Everything else has been incremental improvements.

I used to give Glock grief about the lack of innovation but am now more of the mindset that a Glock that showed true innovation would no longer be a Glock. Innovation can cause reliability issues until its been in the field for a while. Glock represents simple, robust and reliable. I don't carry them any longer but respect what they are.

I think the last "innovation" I thought actually amounted to a hair in a bear's backside for me was high visibility sights. I can see where modular might be of interest to some people, especially those who have to register firearms and/or are limited to how many they can own by law. Kind of like the old Dan Wesson revolvers with easy-change barrels, you now have lots of flexibility on size selection. It's also probably nice for those who want to customize a frame without worry of ruining a firearm. Definitely a new take, so I agree it was a major innovation, though.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The modular frame is more value to the manufacturer than the end user. There are end user benefits that you mention but it's more a way to simplify production lines by letting the mfg build a ton of standard internal modules and then mate them later in the production process based on market demands.

From a shooters perspective, red dots on pistols is a big change but no one manufacturer can lay claim to that I believe. Hi viz sights are a welcome change too.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    (BG) Before Glock, IMHO it was .45 auto all the way hands down.
    Since 1992 it’s been a Glock.
    In today’s world I would take my G-23 with me anywhere.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The modular frame is more value to the manufacturer than the end user. There are end user benefits that you mention but it's more a way to simplify production lines by letting the mfg build a ton of standard internal modules and then mate them later in the production process based on market demands.

From a shooters perspective, red dots on pistols is a big change but no one manufacturer can lay claim to that I believe. Hi viz sights are a welcome change too.

Red dots on pistols aren't new at all. That's been a thing since at least the '70s. The innovation there was in the electronics themselves becoming small enough, robust enough, with enough battery life, etc. to be useful on a much wider range of handguns and uses for handguns.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If my choice is only between a 1911 and a Glock, it is the 1911 every time.
    Between the 1911 and the Glock pistols...the 1911 is definitely the better overall firearm!
    Accuracy, reliability, etc. are all tops with the 1911 platform, especially in .45 acp caliber!
    The only two (2) real drawbacks are weight (1911 metal frame) and capacity (.45 acp has 8 and 9mm has 9 in the single-stack magazine.)
    Today's 'modern' polymer-framed pistols reduce overall weight, allows one the option to increased their magazine capacity, and can be made in just about any size imaginable for concealment purposes...so there are benefits and reasons why people choose polymer-framed pistols, especially for EDC.
    That being said, if I was forced to choose just one (1) pistol, I would be hard-pressed not to choose a 1911!
    But I also like my Glocks so, when you want the best of both worlds, here would be my choice!

J4bkahg.jpg

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Miyamoto Musashi suggests it is wrong to have a favorite weapon. Instead, you should strive to be competent with all weapons if I recall
    Pretty much the correct response right there! Education and training develops experience with use, which leads to competency with a weapon!

Top Bottom