• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Back around 2004 or 2005 Springfield Armory had a high capacity 1911 in 45acp I was wanting to get. I saved up the money went to buy one and all out of stock and I waited for a long time then found out they stopped making them. I wonder if they were a good pistol to this day.

Man can Hickok talk for 30+ minutes and not actually say anything of any value at all, kinda like an older fuddier Nutnfancy lol. Here is an actual 1911 SME's thoughts on parts in a 1911 (which drives the price) . I agree with Hilton as personally I don't own "fun" guns every firearm I own has a specific purpose and use. Plus if someone wants a $700~ 1911 they can buy a Ruger at least it's American

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have both as well. And while my preferences will lean toward the 1911, that is as much for my personal tastes for metal over polymer, single action trigger, grip angle/feel/fit, etc. It has nothing to do with the Glock being "lesser" in any way especially as a dependable quality fighting tool! I have and will continue to trust my life to either.

Last edited:

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    I also have both…it’s 1911 for me as I have a few ranging from full to compact.
    The 100 year old design, updates are always by choice or custom builds, available in multiple calibers…Some may feel less comfy with a single action and single stack mag vs 15 round or whatever in a Glock..
    1911 for me is not only nostalgic but battle proven, shooter…maybe it’s an age thing idk…but the frame has never been updated, and hold their value…as polymer..well it’s always being upgraded as a selling point. Just my .10 cents about my .02 cents

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Man can Hickok talk for 30+ minutes and not actually say anything of any value at all, kinda like an older fuddier Nutnfancy lol. Here is an actual 1911 SME's thoughts on parts in a 1911 (which drives the price) . I agree with Hilton as personally I don't own "fun" guns every firearm I own has a specific purpose and use. Plus if someone wants a $700~ 1911 they can buy a Ruger at least it's American

I like Hilton. He knows his stuff (especially 1911's), has extensive in the field experience, and brings a lot of real world "boots on the ground" advice for all shooters. If you are slanted towards 1911's, his 1911 Duty Tune DVD is excellent!

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    All I can say is I alternate between 2 carry guns.

1. Glock 45 with TLR 7.
    2. Dan Wesson Guardian 1911.

Yes, the Glock holds more rounds, and can mount a light, but I shoot the 1911 much better, and I always carry a hand held light as well anyway. These are both in 9mm, so the caliber debate is a mute point.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I love both and feel that there are good reasons for one over the other, depending on use case. That said, for carry I prefer polymer framed striker fired pistols for ease of use, ease of cleaning, no safety to worry about, a consistent trigger, lighter carry weight for the size and more ammo capacity. The pistol I carry won't be a Glock though, as I can't stand them. Personal opinion and choice though. I just think many other manufacturers make a superior weapon in today's market and that for the money, Glock is no longer the best choice.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I love both and feel that there are good reasons for one over the other, depending on use case. That said, for carry I prefer polymer framed striker fired pistols for ease of use, ease of cleaning, no safety to worry about, a consistent trigger, lighter carry weight for the size and more ammo capacity. The pistol I carry won't be a Glock though, as I can't stand them. Personal opinion and choice though. I just think many other manufacturers make a superior weapon in today's market and that for the money, Glock is no longer the best choice.
    Well to be fair, the Glock is essentially a 40 year old design. It is just outdated technology at this point.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well to be fair, the Glock is essentially a 40 year old design. It is just outdated technology at this point.

My criticism is that they need to improve at a bit faster pace. When $350 guns come out with better features and better triggers, they have dropped the ball somewhere sitting on laurels.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My criticism is that they need to improve at a bit faster pace. When $350 guns come out with better features and better triggers, they have dropped the ball somewhere sitting on laurels.

I think the Glock 5/M triggers are on point for a fighting pistol. It's easy to shoot, provides enough feedback to prevent trigger check UDs, is drop safe, and is durable. That said, there are $350-ish guns like the S&W Shield that are great alternatives. I prefer the Glock trigger to the S&W hinged trigger, though it's not a big deal. I find "trigger feel" matters a lot more in slow fire and when dry firing with heavy concentration on trigger feel then when actually shooting at realistic assessment speeds.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I think the Glock 5/M triggers are on point for a fighting pistol. It's easy to shoot, provides enough feedback to prevent trigger check UDs, is drop safe, and is durable. That said, there are $350-ish guns like the S&W Shield that are great alternatives. I prefer the Glock trigger to the S&W hinged trigger, though it's not a big deal. I find "trigger feel" matters a lot more in slow fire and when dry firing with heavy concentration on trigger feel then when actually shooting at realistic assessment speeds.

I will say that I haven't spent a lot of time with the Gen 5 guns. I was slightly impressed the one time I did get to shoot one. What throws me off the Gen 5 is the absolutely ridiculous decision to do front and rear strap mag cutouts, instead of on the side where they are useful.

Top Bottom