• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have one I transplant and ring inside. A white bell pepper. The. Other colors. I spent less than 1.50 a plant on and at that price it is cheaper to buy than take up the space in the house. You have to raise the white ones from bell’s rainbow pepper mix. So she has come in a few years now.

Some of this years crop.
    Nice peppers. The point is not really so much cost, but the increase in production year over year.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Even the transplant does not take off growing and flowering until the weather really warms into the low 90’s. I cut it way back before I bring it in. If I had a greenhouse or a better shelter over the peppers it would work out better I am sure. I guess if I did not cut it back so much it would grow all winter and produce peppers well. I should probably start watching the videos before commenting it time is limited.

I froze about 7 paper sacks of diced or sliced peppers this year. Should last till summer next year. I have enough to do twice that many today again. I think I ad. About 10 plants. One white. 2 each of red yellow orange purple (these. Are always. Small) so 9 plants I. Have never giving them away right and left for months. Just wish my cucumbers plants d’s Hal as welll this year.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Pears are ready to be picked, and we are out of canning jars. What are some of your favorite ways to store pears?
    Do you have a food saver(can you vacuum seal them)? If you have freezer space that is a good option(clean,cut,LIGHT ascorbic acid coating or lemon juice,pat dry and seal for zero freezer burn). I have frozen a few pies(pre baked) as well as raw fruit before.

*Side note on freezing a fresh baked pie. Put it uncovered in the fridge over night to cool. Do not try to freeze it warm as this will result in massive freezer burn. Cover it with plastic film before freezing. When you take it out to eat let it thaw, mist the top with water before baking for a better crust(just warm it do not bake it for hours 300F for 15-20 minutes is usually good for just reheating it if thawed,longer if still frozen but possible).

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Do you have a food saver(can you vacuum seal them)? If you have freezer space that is a good option(clean,cut,LIGHT ascorbic acid coating or lemon juice,pat dry and seal for zero freezer burn). I have frozen a few pies(pre baked) as well as raw fruit before.

*Side note on freezing a fresh baked pie. Put it uncovered in the fridge over night to cool. Do not try to freeze it warm as this will result in massive freezer burn. Cover it with plastic film before freezing. When you take it out to eat let it thaw, mist the top with water before baking for a better crust(just warm it do not bake it for hours 300F for 15-20 minutes is usually good for just reheating it if thawed,longer if still frozen but possible).

I have two raspberry cobblers in the freezer done just about this way exactly. Going to add the “cover it with plastic film before freezing“ part in the future. Used a big old freezer bag I think the combo of the two is needed.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have two raspberry cobblers in the freezer done just about this way exactly. Going to add the “cover it with plastic film before freezing“ part in the future. Used a big old freezer bag I think the combo of the two is needed.
    I will add pat the top dry before applying film if it has moisture on it. Also the reason to thaw before baking again is the crust. If you try to bake it from frozen your crust will end up over cooked and possibly burned.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Haven’t done it myself, but maybe like fish. Cover with water in zip lock after slicing and freeze. I’d use the lemon juice also. We have plenty of jars so for us it’s never come up. Hope you figure it out, be a shame to loose.

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Has anyone here tried growing hot peppers indoors year round?

I love hot peppers and grow a variety every year from jalapeño to ghost and reapers. But my cayennes are my favorite. Any tips for bringing them indoors and getting them to produce over winter?

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Has anyone here tried growing hot peppers indoors year round?

I love hot peppers and grow a variety every year from jalapeño to ghost and reapers. But my cayennes are my favorite. Any tips for bringing them indoors and getting them to produce over winter?
    Not I. Not worth the effort for us. Only grow any one or two things every 3rd yr. We put up two years worth of a veg. each year. Saves us time and trouble.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Cider makers? We have pears and apples coming ready. Have recently become a huge fan of cider, HARD cider especially. Any experience? Love to hear what does and does not work from those that have tried.
    I've only made cider a couple of times. Just like with other ferments, starting with clean sanitized equipment is a must.

Here's a how to for first timers. It's pretty darn close to the advice I was given and that I followed with good results.

This yeast will give you a dry finish

This yeast will give you a fruitier, sweeter finish.

There are other yeasts you can use, but those are the 2 that I've used in the past.

Our previous house had apple trees and my favorite way to use them was to brew a beer which mixes the apple juice with a lightly hopped beer during the brewing process. I'd get enough apples from those 3 trees for 20 gallons of that concoction and it would last through to the next summer. It was delicious.

Top Bottom