• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I still have some herbs, spinach, onions, garlic and cabbage alive. The jury is out on whether they'll produce much in the way of a yield, other than seasoning?

Teens in the forecast next week, but we've seen teens a couple times already. The plants above aren't really growing quickly, but might make it through winter?

If the stars align and I actually focus on it, I'm hoping to work hard on keeping my relatively robust compost operation building throughout the winter. Even if the compost doesn't in the cold temps, having it ready to start as temps warm seems like a smart thing? On top of that, the workout involved seems like a solid thing to do in the not gaining winter weight category? I've been a little better in recent years, but years past has been tough to adapt to the spring gardening chores. Rough stuff when out of shape and carrying some extra lbs.

Hoping for a better tomato yield this year and possibly less of a fight with some of last year's other struggles.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm thinking of doing a soil test as opposed to just winging it. You folks familiar with self testing using pH test strips?

1641085217483.png

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Up here in the far north, if you are not involved commercial ag, the county office just gives you the address for a testing place you can send to and pay yourself.

I planted some garlic and spinach in the garden. Greens are always a toss of the coin, sometimes I get a good stand the next spring, sometimes I don't.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm thinking of doing a soil test as opposed to just winging it. You folks familiar with self testing using pH test strips?

View attachment 174006
    I self check PH a couple times a year, because I'm always battling alkaline soil. I'm not familiar with that kit, I use the Luster Leaf kit.

I don't know how accurate they really are, because when I sent a soil sample off they said it was almost 1 point higher than what I was reading. It does tell you what end of the spectrum you're on though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've gotten to be a big David the Good fan. He's pretty far down south for a good comparison to us, but I like his stuff.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Up here in the far north, if you are not involved commercial ag, the county office just gives you the address for a testing place you can send to and pay yourself.

I planted some garlic and spinach in the garden. Greens are always a toss of the coin, sometimes I get a good stand the next spring, sometimes I don't.
    Do you have a co op? They will do first test free of charge.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I got a small seed order in from Seeds of Italy. I got my zucchini, fennel, broccoli raab, mixed salad greens

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This year we've got old wooden raised beds that are rotting, crumbling and look like garbage. Our first goal is going to be tearing all of that out and then figuring out what to do with that space. We have every good intention this year because we're anticipating food shortages and last year our garden was a disaster.

One the one hand, we could simply remove everything, level it, clean it up and start planting. Seems simply enough and I'd probably at least get a load of fresh garden soil to dump on that spot just to shape it and get it off to a good start.

On the other hand I've been kicking around the idea of metal raised beds that are expensive, but will last the rest of my life. I've never used metal beds and I don't want my food coming out of a galvanized container. I'm not sure what type of coating on the steel I'd be comfortable with though either.

Another thing I was thinking about was using some of those fabric shell types of raised beds. I can't seem them lasting more than a couple of years, but they're cheap enough that if they worked well it may be worth the trouble. I was thinking of tossing a few of these out back in the field to get some more squash.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I just ordered some pepper seeds today. I either saved everything else I needed from last year's crop or have some seeds left over from previous years. One night this week, I'm going to start peppers, tomatoes, tomatillos, broccoli and eggplants. I'll start the other peppers when I get today's order.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Got a wild hair and sprinkled some spinach and turnip seeds across the top of last year's porch pots. Then an inch or two of very dry peat moss.

Today the light bulb was to go find some stashed (once used) clear trash bags. No idea where they came from, (USPSA target bags?) but obviously I must have saved them for this purpose? :scratch:

20220227_150452.jpg
    20220228_124227.jpg

Five mini green houses. Yeah, that was the plan? Right! :lol2:

Last edited:

Gritch

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Portage
    This year we've got old wooden raised beds that are rotting, crumbling and look like garbage. Our first goal is going to be tearing all of that out and then figuring out what to do with that space.
    I used to have raised beds. A few years ago I decided to redo them as the wood was going bad. I also grow vegetables for competition. That year I took a year off, and planted everything from the raised beds into the competition garden. Everything took off. I had so much I couldn't give it away. I got rid of the raised beds, and just planted directly into the ground. Two years later, and they are doing as good as they did in the main garden.

I would honestly level it out, and go from there. Add some composted manure to it.

Top Bottom