• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Wife slipped skins from about 10-12 quarts of romas we’re gonna put them up tonight.

After mass she picked two five gal. buckets of Rutgers I’ll do them tomorrow. She found quite a few destroyed, while out there one of the dogs smelled out a ground hog it was caught between her and it‘s hole, the other dogs saw it, you can guess the outcome. D*** tomato destroyer he got what he deserved.

I’ll pick jalapeños tomorrow, then we can decide on salsa or not yet. Peaches still not ready- I think - I’ll check in a few minutes when I go out to check cow water.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Three Meijer's, Three Walmart's, one Kroger, one Menards - all out of pickling salt. :(
    Real-Salt-26oz-Fine-Pouch_740x.jpg

This is the only salt I buy. Use it for everything.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    D***. Just goes to show. I’m worried we’re only seeing the tip of the ice burg. I know we are being extra careful with our jars.
    I have a few extra cases of jars already(purchased last winter) and loads of lids.

I also have a secondary source of jars. Classico(the brand) spaghetti sauce jars. They use standard regular size bands and lids(the jars are made by Atlas ). The labels use a water based glue and if you soak them over night it just peels of in one piece,then a few seconds with a scrubber and you have a new canning jar.

I keep and clean the old Classico jar lids as well(at least a few) to reseal open jars put in the fridge.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Finished another batch of spaghetti sauce. Having mostaccioli tonight but should still have 3-4 more quarts to put up. If freezer space allows, I'm going to freeze the rest of the tomatoes that don't get eaten fresh and do one last batch with the rest of them.

Reactions: Mij

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Finished another batch of spaghetti sauce. Having mostaccioli tonight but should still have 3-4 more quarts to put up. If freezer space allows, I'm going to freeze the rest of the tomatoes that don't get eaten fresh and do one last batch with the rest of them.

I have been picking tomatoes everyday. Too busy to process right now, so it all goes right in the freezer, with minimal handling. Bad shoulders or any other rot has to come off, along with older splits that are nasty. Fresh splits, cherrys and all have just been tossed in open top 3/4 gallon containers.

Depending on how time permits, all the frozen tomatoes could go right into the Vitamix with some herbs and other seasonings to be dehydrated into leathers.

There are plenty of green tomatoes hanging for salsa making later.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I have been picking tomatoes everyday. Too busy to process right now, so it all goes right in the freezer, with minimal handling. Bad shoulders or any other rot has to come off, along with older splits that are nasty. Fresh splits, cherrys and all have just been tossed in open top 3/4 gallon containers.

Depending on how time permits, all the frozen tomatoes could go right into the Vitamix with some herbs and other seasonings to be dehydrated into leathers.

There are plenty of green tomatoes hanging for salsa making later.

After that how to consume? Just roll n eat? Or on a sandwich or something? Never had‘m.

I’m to worried about running out of juice again. I shouldn’t have tried to go two seasons with our last bunch. Won’t happen again. Ran out I believe in January or there about making our last batch of chili for the season.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    After that how to consume? Just roll n eat? Or on a sandwich or something? Never had‘m.

I’m to worried about running out of juice again. I shouldn’t have tried to go two seasons with our last bunch. Won’t happen again. Ran out I believe in January or there about making our last batch of chili for the season.

Gets put in anything that will want a tomato base, sauce or juice. Soups, chili, BBQ sauce, etc.

Best tomato soup ever, when mixed with bone broth and heavy cream. Best for you too... ;)

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Gets put in anything that will want a tomato base, sauce or juice. Soups, chili, BBQ sauce, etc.

Best tomato soup ever, when mixed with bone broth and heavy cream. Best for you too... ;)

So it reconstitutes?

That sounds like a great thing for cooking?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So it reconstitutes?

That sounds like a great thing for cooking?

IIRC each Excaliber tray sized leather comes from a pint of sauce. They are a lot like canned sauce or juice. Will last sealed on the shelf for years. Best taste will be in the first couple years, but I have used them twice that.

1662429617693.png 1662429695345.png

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Getting ready to head out on a backpacking trip. One of the meals on the plan is pasta and meat sauce. I just peeled the sauce off the excalibur tray and stuck it in a ziploc this morning. It'll be fantastic and all the garlic in it will help with the skeeters as we sweat it out.

Made a batch of chili yesterday and dehydrated it for the trip. Along with some peaches and strawberries we'd frozen earlier this summer, most of our meals on this trip are coming from the dehydrator.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Getting ready to head out on a backpacking trip. One of the meals on the plan is pasta and meat sauce. I just peeled the sauce off the excalibur tray and stuck it in a ziploc this morning. It'll be fantastic and all the garlic in it will help with the skeeters as we sweat it out.

Made a batch of chili yesterday and dehydrated it for the trip. Along with some peaches and strawberries we'd frozen earlier this summer, most of our meals on this trip are coming from the dehydrator.

That's great to hear! As usual, you are a good motivator. :ingo:

I SHOULD be running the Excaliber 24/7 this time of year.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    That's great to hear! As usual, you are a good motivator. :ingo:

I SHOULD be running the Excaliber 24/7 this time of year.

Happy to hear that it motivated you. That motivation is one of my favorite things about this thread and others. Such a huge reservoir of knowledge on this forum. Happy I can pay some of it back.

I just shut mine off around 4 this afternoon. She's been running nonstop for about the last 10 days. Workhorse.

In addition to the regular garden stuff, I've dehydrated hamburger, ground turkey, breakfast sausage, store bought frozen mixed vegetables (lazy shortcut), broccoli, mashed sweet potatoes, mashed cauliflower, and cooked pasta. I don't think enough people realize how you can prep with that old girl either.

I can boil a quart of water in the stick stove in about 10 minutes with just debris collected off the ground around the campsite and use it to feed 3 people breakfast with coffee, mashed sweet potato, onion, garlic and sausage. One of our dinners is shepherds pie. Everything for that meal will keep for a year plus at room temp except the dehydrated gravy.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Texas.
    I did my gardening in containers this year. Tomatoes and peppers did okay, okra and corn and squash, not so good this year.

Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom