• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What I'd like to plant again is Lufa. It was a lot a work to peel them at the end of the season, but you should see how exfoliated my back is. :cool:

PS - for those in our NE corner - FtW parks has their plant sale coming up. Usually that's where I find the obscure stuff (like lufa). Where else has seven varieties of mint for sale?

This year, it's pre-order and pick up: http://www.botanicalconservatory.org/events-exhibitions/102-mother-s-day-plant-sale

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    May's, one of the bigger greenhouse operations here in Btown was pretty sold out of product yesterday. Tomatoe plant selection was poor and what plants they did have looked rough. Their normal good selection of peppers were sparce also.

We are arguably still a couple weeks from the last frost date. I'm gonna throw some plants in now, but have no illusion that they might not be sacrificial. (Remember last year's late May freeze?)

Its always another argument on whether early plant starting is good or not. A lot of plants we normally grow are borderline tropical plants that don't really grow well until soil temps raise.
    I haven't gotten any of my plants yet. I hope I didn't pick the wrong year to not start my own tomatoes and pepper plants. You've convinced me to go ahead and get what I need and just babysit them until time to put them out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I haven't gotten any of my plants yet. I hope I didn't pick the wrong year to not start my own tomatoes and pepper plants. You've convinced me to go ahead and get what I need and just babysit them until time to put them out.
    Kroger seems to have a fair selection of tomatoe and pepper plants. I think they are all Burpie branded?

No idea on the pricing, they are not priced, out in front of stores here in Btown.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Our local produce/small nursery had a bunch of different tomatoes and peppers this past weekend. And I noticed a lot of vegetables at Menards when we were picking up some lumber.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    old bed sheet or canvas painters drop cloth. Something that can breathe.

You can do plastic, but you have to use sticks to tent the plastic so it doesnt come in contact with the plants. Otherwise water condenses, then freezes to the plant, doing worse damage than not covering it at all.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    old bed sheet or canvas painters drop cloth. Something that can breathe.

You can do plastic, but you have to use sticks to tent the plastic so it doesnt come in contact with the plants. Otherwise water condenses, then freezes to the plant, doing worse damage than not covering it at all.
    Perfect, I have an old drop cloth I didn't even think of. Thanks

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And they may be fine. I didnt do squat to my peas, lettuce or turnips, and they actually were helped by the snow. Crazy.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I normally dehydrate outside on the porch. It keeps the heat outside, where it belongs. :n00b:

At the expense of higher humidity in the house, I'll take the supplemental heat inside this evening. :rolleyes:

20210508_210136.jpg 20210508_210153.jpg

Top Bottom