• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I went ahead and reordered the bulk pack turnips and spinach from Amazon that worked out this year. I believe those samples are still growing, even after the hard freezes?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I got my soil analysis back from A&L.
    PH 7.8, high phosphorus, needs Potash. They recommended 13-0-13 fertilizer, which is kinda hard to find right now, and sulfur/peat moss

Last edited:

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Ordered over $70 worth of salad/greens seeds from Johnny's in the last couple weeks. I claim every year that I'll let some go to seed so I don't have this expense, but alas, my seed collection game is very weak.
    I've abandoned the soil blocks for the seed baskets like used in hydroponics, I like the benefits of air pruning but the soil block route is chocked full of expense and very labor intensive.
    Looking forward to setting up the grow lights and getting my hands dirty very soon, until then, I'll scour through seed catalogs looking for something new to add to the 2021 garden.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Time to get those seed trays started if you have not yet.

They will germinate and start forming plants before January is over. Mid-February you can thin them out and replant anything that failed.

March keep up with pruning and watering. Some may be ready for larger pots.

April...we wait. Do we dare to put anything in the garden that can not take a heavy frost?
    Nope. We wait. Map of average last frost for Indiana. https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-indiana-last-frost-date-map.php The last two weeks of April and the first week of May I will let my plants enjoy a nice sunny day outside,but they need to follow a curfew...still too young to just be let loose.

Last task of April. Planting SEEDs to germinate in the garden.

Ah. May. Do not forget Mothersday. The 9th of May 2020. After we celebrate mom it is time to put some of the amazingly beautiful HUGE tomato plants in the garden. Some already have green tomatoes on them...if you started your trays in Mid January :)

Be well.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I picked up a pile of seeds yesterday at Lowes because I wanted to get ahead of the crowds. Last year in 2020 everyone seemed to think they were going to put their farmer hat on and start a garden. I was fine last year, but I wanted to make sure I was also ahead of that this year as well.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Just the starter soil... the beds are in pretty good shape. Will add old cattle deposits that are well composted.
    If you have a source llama manure works well - doesn't need to be composted.

The chickens have spent a lot of time in the garden the last few months, cleaning out weed seeds. Picked up a roll of concrete reinforcement mesh for free, to be transformed into pea trellises.

nmcampbe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Central IN
    If you haven’t already I’d suggest picking up any garden seeds soon. 2020 exhausted the garden seed industry and I believe the supply is still stretched. Not everything is tight but when I ordered my seeds they were out of several varieties.
    Given the run on seeds last year I made an effort to save heirloom seeds from the garden so I am anxious to put those seeds to use.
    I plan on picking up a truck load of compost from GreenCycle to add to the garden this spring.

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    I've barely thought about my gardening plans for this year, but likely need to start getting it sorted. Going to do a small vegetable patch this year in addition to the usually herbs and flowers I think.

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    I plowed a patch with my two bottom back in November, and we just tossed our fall pumpkins in it to go to seed naturally. What percentage of successful growth is realistic?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I plowed a patch with my two bottom back in November, and we just tossed our fall pumpkins in it to go to seed naturally. What percentage of successful growth is realistic?
    Year before last, I was nursing along cantaloupe and discovered it had been overrun by pie pumpkins. The pumpkins were from the year before's compost. All store bought.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup: Just put a couple varieties of eating pumpkins on my seed list.

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    Year before last, I was nursing along cantaloupe and discovered it had been overrun by pie pumpkins. The pumpkins were from the year before's compost. All store bought.

Thanks for the heads up. Just put a couple varieties of eating pumpkins on my seed list.
    It's totally experimental. I got the idea because year before last we had one fall off the front porch and rot. A voluntary plant popped up right in the front yard and did exceptionally well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom