• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I've been doing beefsteak Tomatoes, I'm looking to try something different that maybe bears more.

What's your guys recommendations, doesn't have to be as big, but definitely has to be a good eating tomato
    I have grown a lot of heirloom tomatoes over the years and they are great tasting. The downside of heirlooms is they are unpredictable. Production, disease, etc, can vary year to year. I belong to several tomato/gardening forums and many of us always have heirlooms in the garden. We also grow a few hybrids for insurance. A favorite of mine and many others is Big Beef. Has the disease resistance and production that people want plus very good taste. Maybe not heirloom quality but pretty darn good. I tell folks if I was only going to have a plant or 2 in the backyard for BLT's and Burgers it would be Big Beef. You can find Big Beef seeds and plants everywhere.

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've been doing beefsteak Tomatoes, I'm looking to try something different that maybe bears more.

What's your guys recommendations, doesn't have to be as big, but definitely has to be a good eating tomato
    Another vote for big beef. Good sized, and great flavor and good disease resistance.

Early girl, also a indeterminate , will
    give you tomatoes earlier, also taste great but will be smaller and the plants are susceptible to the blights.

I often times will try a couple of other options but always go back to these two

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Another vote for big beef. Good sized, and great flavor and good disease resistance.

Early girl, also a indeterminate , will
    give you tomatoes earlier, also taste great but will be smaller and the plants are susceptible to the blights.

I often times will try a couple of other options but always go back to these two
    Thanks everybody, I picked up Rutgers, Hillbilly, and Kellog breakfast. I will have the wife pick up a big beef when she's at the nursery since I have all heirlooms. Figured I'd try a variety and see

Last edited:

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks everybody, I picked up Rutgers, Hillbilly, and Kellog breakfast. I will have the wife pick up a big beef when she's at the nursery since I have all heirlooms. Figured I'd try a variety and see
    Rutgers is underrated in my book and and does not get the love it should. Hillbilly is nice. I am regrowing a tomato called Deweese Streaked which is similar. Kellogg's Breakfast is always on the "best of" lists.

Here is an interesting article about the Rutgers tomato. I am trying the Rutgers 250 this year.

https://sebsnjaesnews.rutgers.edu/2...historic-rutgers-tomato-and-its-re-invention/

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    we got our blueberries and strawberries covered before the snow and cold hit hopefully the make it. Hoping our rhubarb survives i had been cutting seed heads out for 3 weeks now!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Back covering again tonight.
    We brought everything but the lettuce and herbs back in the house for this week. Covered the Strawberries and Raspberries as well as all the outdoor plants susceptible to the freezing temps and frost

The lettuce really loved this cold snap though. Easily doubled in size the past 3-4 days.
    IMG_20210422_091417786.jpg
    Repotted some tomatoes and cucumbers and have another batch of seedlings sprouted

20210422_200821.jpg
    20210422_200831.jpg
    20210422_200837.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We brought everything but the lettuce and herbs back in the house for this week. Covered the Strawberries and Raspberries as well as all the outdoor plants susceptible to the freezing temps and frost

The lettuce really loved this cold snap though. Easily doubled in size the past 3-4 days.
    View attachment 136822
    Repotted some tomatoes and cucumbers and have another batch of seedlings sprouted

View attachment 136823
    View attachment 136824
    View attachment 136825

Interesting looking grow lights, I've never seen the like.

Top Bottom