• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just used some LED's I had. I read that it only had to be a certain lumen and color of 4500-6500 and that any light would work. I hope that's correct.

View attachment 136856
    any light will work. But certain wavelengths are better. LED is VERY focused in regards to wavelength, emitting very little IR. (you will see this firsthand when replacing incandescent floods on the house; your security cameras will see less light)

You'll get better results with grow lights because they put out more light in the optimal wavelengths.

But it would be cool to experiment; one set of plants with one of these standard LED strips and another in another room with the funky grow lights to see if grow lights really make a difference. As I recall they are a lot more expensive.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    any light will work. But certain wavelengths are better. LED is VERY focused in regards to wavelength, emitting very little IR. (you will see this firsthand when replacing incandescent floods on the house; your security cameras will see less light)

You'll get better results with grow lights because they put out more light in the optimal wavelengths.

But it would be cool to experiment; one set of plants with one of these standard LED strips and another in another room with the funky grow lights to see if grow lights really make a difference. As I recall they are a lot more expensive.
    Hmm, when I changed my floods from incandescent to LED my cameras went from B&W at night to full color. :dunno:

I seen a few cheaper grow lights, but I just figured I would use what I have and see if it works. Now I'm really interested in doing this experiment you mentioned.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    May's, one of the bigger greenhouse operations here in Btown was pretty sold out of product yesterday. Tomatoe plant selection was poor and what plants they did have looked rough. Their normal good selection of peppers were sparce also.

We are arguably still a couple weeks from the last frost date. I'm gonna throw some plants in now, but have no illusion that they might not be sacrificial. (Remember last year's late May freeze?)

Its always another argument on whether early plant starting is good or not. A lot of plants we normally grow are borderline tropical plants that don't really grow well until soil temps raise.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    With the price of food going up I would imagine a number of people will be first time gardeners.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hmm, when I changed my floods from incandescent to LED my cameras went from B&W at night to full color. :dunno:

I seen a few cheaper grow lights, but I just figured I would use what I have and see if it works. Now I'm really interested in doing this experiment you mentioned.
    Odd. was it a 1-1 lumen swap, or did you install brighter ones? When I did a 1-1 the IR (B/W) got darker because LEDs put out less invisible light. I had to increase lumens to get the same picture.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Odd. was it a 1-1 lumen swap, or did you install brighter ones? When I did a 1-1 the IR (B/W) got darker because LEDs put out less invisible light. I had to increase lumens to get the same picture.
    It was pretty close to went from 1800 lumen in incandescent to 2000 lumen in LED. I just figured it dispersed it more evenly or something.

I looked up a style of light like @d.kaufman has and it was only around $30. I may get one to try separately and see if it makes a difference. I want to start some tomato and peppers about 4 weeks after these anyways.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Started my "Trash can taters". Going to try a method of growing potatoes in a trash can. Just for giggles. Bury them in 6-10' of soil, and add a couple inches a week as the sprouts grow. By the end of the season you have a trash can full of dirt (and presumably potatoes.)

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    I’ll be new to this thread, but having recently moved to a much more rural setting, noticed that the blossoms are still on my Apple trees. Hoping the freeze didn’t get them all. Got some asparagus planted, for next year at least, radishes, onions, and cantaloupe are all in the ground. Tomatoes are coming and enlarging the garden for who knows what’s next!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Started my "Trash can taters". Going to try a method of growing potatoes in a trash can. Just for giggles. Bury them in 6-10' of soil, and add a couple inches a week as the sprouts grow. By the end of the season you have a trash can full of dirt (and presumably potatoes.)
    Dang how tall of a garbage can do you have?
    10 ft may be a bit excessive. :D

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Well I've been watching the weather and they aren't predicting any real cold nights between now and when I usually plant.

Thinking about putting out a few plants. What are the odds the weather is correct and I won't lose any? :dunno:

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The snow and freeze really had me worried, but most of the fruit trees on the property were just barely starting to bloom if at all. I've got my fingers crossed that they're still going to produce something. I had to prune them all quite a bit a few weeks ago, so hopefully that wasn't a mistake giving them all fresh cuts before a nasty storm. Every year I get impatient and you think I'd have learned by now.

Only thing I've actually planted is my potatoes and that's just tossing them into open buckets covered with dirt so I feel good that they'll be alright. I use something very similar to these and I get great results. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Quickway-Imports-1-Pack-13-x-8-Rustic-plastic-Plastic-Barrel/5000927363

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well I've been watching the weather and they aren't predicting any real cold nights between now and when I usually plant.

Thinking about putting out a few plants. What are the odds the weather is correct and I won't lose any plants? :dunno:
    I have a bunch of possible sacrificial warmer weather plants that I'm putting out today also. It is a risk.

What was the date in May that we got the hard freeze last year? The one that made tomatoe plants "the new toilet paper" at the time?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have a bunch of possible sacrificial warmer weather plants that I'm putting out today also. It is a risk.

What was the date in May that we got the hard freeze last year? The one that made tomatoe plants "the new toilet paper" at the time?
    Pretty sure it was right on Mothers day.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

A day or two before mother's day I think. I planted stuff a weekend earlier than normal last year and lost quite a few

Top Bottom