• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I've been doing beefsteak Tomatoes, I'm looking to try something different that maybe bears more.

What's your guys recommendations, doesn't have to be as big, but definitely has to be a good eating tomato

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I've been doing beefsteak Tomatoes, I'm looking to try something different that maybe bears more.

What's your guys recommendations, doesn't have to be as big, but definitely has to be a good eating tomato
    I'm not a beefsteak fan myself. Sure they're big but not a lot of flavor to me. For slicing tomatoes I Love Old Germaine, Mr. Stripey, Early girl, Cherokee purple, Brandy Boy, and Black Krim. Quite a few others as well but those are off the top of my head

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Planted to date:
    Potatoes, onions, lettuces, carrots, radishes, mustards, turnips, kale, collards, cabbage and broccoli plants, peas (put fence up).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Parks Whopper and Jet Star are good eating tomatoes and do fine for salsa.

There may be other cherrys, but I try not to have a year without at least one Supersweet 100 plant. (4 in wall-o-waters right now.) Garden candy, kitchen snack, great sliced/dehydrated and will vitamix into whatever you want to do with them. Not to mention salad stuff.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm not a beefsteak fan myself. Sure they're big but not a lot of flavor to me. For slicing tomatoes I Love Old Germaine, Mr. Stripey, Early girl, Cherokee purple, Brandy Boy, and Black Krim. Quite a few others as well but those are off the top of my head
    I've been trying to get the Black Krim, but migardener has been out of stock. I think I'm going to try the Kellogg's breakfast, Hillbilly, and Rutgers. Anyone ever try these?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Another question for the seed starters among us.

When do you remove the dome on the seed starters? After the first real leaves or after the very first set of leaves?

This is Tomatoes and jalapenos

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    20210412_163650.jpg

Oh the irony.

Had first couple asparagus spears for a wonderful raw snack a little while before taking a whiz behind the barn.

Couldn't help but smell that asparagus pee smell at the same time I notice that I'm whizzing on numbers of volunteer asparagus in the weeds.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yesterday put four sacks of concrete in the bottoms of two opposite facing triangular terraced planters made from landscape timbers. Today adding the vertical columns for side trellises and overhead arbor (and of course May Bell platform on top:)). After that comes the swinging gate. All together making an entrance into the bambi thwarting flower garden for the better 2/3's. Put in most of the fence posts last year along with one rectangular and the two triangular timber planters. Put up the lateral stringers and rabbit wire last week. Final plan is various box and glazed planters, stepping stones, stone paths, the trellises, bird bath, wind chimes, bird seed and hummer feeders. And yes, a solar powered fountain.
    To the lumber yard!:fogey:

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    View attachment 135418

Oh the irony.

Had first couple asparagus spears for a wonderful raw snack a little while before taking a whiz behind the barn.

Couldn't help but smell that asparagus pee smell at the same time I notice that I'm whizzing on numbers of volunteer asparagus in the weeds.
    That one pictured looks like it's going to seed soon.
    Had my first batch last Saturday with a steak. Very tender and flavorful.
    Odd I don't get the "smell" from the fresh ones. Just the store bought. :dunno:

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Yesterday put four sacks of concrete in the bottoms of two opposite facing triangular terraced planters made from landscape timbers. Today adding the vertical columns for side trellises and overhead arbor (and of course May Bell platform on top:)). After that comes the swinging gate. All together making an entrance into the bambi thwarting flower garden for the better 2/3's. Put in most of the fence posts last year along with one rectangular and the two triangular timber planters. Put up the lateral stringers and rabbit wire last week. Final plan is various box and glazed planters, stepping stones, stone paths, the trellises, bird bath, wind chimes, bird seed and hummer feeders. And yes, a solar powered fountain.
    To the lumber yard!:fogey:
    Labor of love the garden is. Have fun !

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Who has experience with big huge happy bushy butterfly bushes?
    I'm looking to make a hummer haven as part of landscaping and if there's any tricks to pull up here on the corn tundra I want to hear them.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Another question for the seed starters among us.

When do you remove the dome on the seed starters? After the first real leaves or after the very first set of leaves?

This is Tomatoes and jalapenos
    I have several varieties in the same tray and the germination rate can differ so I wait till most of the tray has germinated before I remove the dome. If I have a lot of condensation on the inside of the dome after germination I do carefully lift it off and drain it. I usually just drain it back into the tray.

Top Bottom