• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I went and bought my seeds, cabbage & broccoli plants today from my garden store.
    I hope to be able to till by the end of the week.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is frost hard on asparagus? We had a really hard frost this morning here.

If not I have a south wall that would be perfect for this.
    Last year some early stuff was stunted by freezes. Nothing was killed though. Hopefully the same with the yearling's in the pic up thread, looking at the next few day's forecast.

Stumbled on to the first eater asparagus a bit ago. Hope it grows a bit before the possible freeze.

20210329_134520.jpg

Axxe55

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Texas.
    I planted several varieties of pepper seeds yesterday. Jalapenos, bell peppers, and chili peppers. Plus some onion roots and a few potatoes as well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The soil was perfect yesterday evening so I got the fertilizer and soil amendments tilled in. While I was at it I put in the peas, onions, lettuce, and turnips because the soil couldn't have been any better. (I was going to wait for the weekend)

Its now been properly treated per the lab's suggestions, so now we wait.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I actually don't mind the taste of purslane. I'll eat some when I'm pulling it out of my lawn but don't actively grow or harvest it. We also get a variety of plantain that my middle child used to call "yard spinach." It does terrify my wife to see us eat things straight from the yard, which is probably why I do it so often.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Asparagus is pretty cold-hardy, but last year when we had a hard freeze (i think it was in April), some of the spears that were up got mushy.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The gardener keeps lettuce and spinach going in the green house over winter. She has learned enough using it that I'm confident we could grow vegetables all winter in the event of necessity. Most of it fills up with her annual flowers that come in for the winter.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Asparagus is pretty cold-hardy, but last year when we had a hard freeze (i think it was in April), some of the spears that were up got mushy.
    Yep, I left this one to see how it would take it. It froze. Was soft and a bit transparent. I'm guessing the tiny ones along side the house are the same? Too small to see damage yet. We'll see.
    Last year some early stuff was stunted by freezes. Nothing was killed though. Hopefully the same with the yearling's in the pic up thread, looking at the next few day's forecast.

Stumbled on to the first eater asparagus a bit ago. Hope it grows a bit before the possible freeze.

View attachment 133113

Hard to tell this soon how much plant damage was done on the rest of the garden? Some wilting is obvious, but it takes a day or two to see if whole plants were killed or just a few leaves?

I had cauliflower that experienced transplant shock before this freeze.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If you're trying to decide whether or not to do some gardening this year, don't wait too long. We're selling the hell out of gardening supplies again this year and supplies are going fast. Seeds, tillers, hand tools in paticular are in big demand.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Got the garden prepped. Most of the plants in the greenhouse now and doing well. Still probably another month before they go in the ground....unless the weather decides to stay like it's been this weekend

20210404_134926.jpg

Top Bottom