• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It's totally experimental. I got the idea because year before last we had one fall off the front porch and rot. A voluntary plant popped up right in the front yard and did exceptionally well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    We used to shoot them at our range every Thanksgiving, and there where pumpkin plants every year.
    The pumpkins never got real big, the kids would pick them and paint them

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ordered twice from the MIGardener and have another on the way. $2 a pack and cheap USPS shipping.

It's obvious that they are a small operation, so it's a little quirky. Sometimes takes a few days to get the order out, and they have outages of product.

I'm happy to support them for the economical pricing and even more so for the helpful video content they put out.

20210211_142440.jpg

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Ordered twice from the MIGardener and have another on the way. $2 a pack and cheap USPS shipping.

It's obvious that they are a small operation, so it's a little quirky. Sometimes takes a few days to get the order out, and they have outages of product.

I'm happy to support them for the economical pricing and even more so for the helpful video content they put out.

View attachment 125187
    I agree on supporting smaller companies, especially when they do nothing but Heirloom seeds.
    I have been buying seeds from https://www.seedsavers.org/heirloom-seeds since 2012.
    They also have tons of useful information and videos.

For example, they have 80 varieties of heirloom tomatoes.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I'm doing potatoes in 5gal buckets this year, should be a fun experiment
    I built a 4x4 area for potatoes last year. Post in each corner, a layer of potting soil, and ,4" boards all around, I screwed then in place. As the Potatoes grew, I added more soil and boards, untill the enclosure was about ,three feet tall.
    At the end of the season, all I had to do ( in theory) was remove the lower boards and the potatoes and soil would spill out......not as good in reality...still had to fork thru the soil. And remove all the boards...
    Yeild was so-so...we decided buying a bag was easier....this year, more sweet corn

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm doing potatoes in 5gal buckets this year, should be a fun experiment
    I did them in large totes last year as a trial. I cut slits in the bottoms with a circular saw. Did roughly 2 inches of gravel and 6 inches of soil to start them. As they grew I added more dirt. One tote was about 8-10lb of potatoes at the end of last summer. Not fantastic,but it was very easy to harvest them.

One thing about doing them in containers. They need good drainage and more frequent watering(personal experience).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The calculators are good, but still a roll of the dice.

When is our last frost date? It used to be May 9th in southern IN. Now showing middle April? When was that hard freeze last may?

I heard a few years back from Sullivan and Crum that they were changing the zones to sell the global warming baloney?

More info...

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Hey @bwframe , do you do your canning on an outdoor cooker(like a burner for a turkey fryer)? I've got about a 3/4-bushel of apples I'm making into sauce and I am thinking of using my turkey fryer burner to hot-water-bath them. If you(or anyone else) do it that way, do you just put the pot directly on the burner? I wasn't sure if using a steel plate would help to keep the heat regulated on the pot.

Thanks

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hey @bwframe , do you do your canning on an outdoor cooker(like a burner for a turkey fryer)? I've got about a 3/4-bushel of apples I'm making into sauce and I am thinking of using my turkey fryer burner to hot-water-bath them. If you(or anyone else) do it that way, do you just put the pot directly on the burner? I wasn't sure if using a steel plate would help to keep the heat regulated on the pot.

Thanks
    I use a double burner Camp Chef that sits just off my deck for everything. I water bath and pressure can in the same All American canner.

The flame adjustment was a little tougher with the turkey/fish frier burner that I had prior. IIRC, I did try cast iron or something between, without much success. I got the Camp Chef soon thereafter.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I use a double burner Camp Chef that sits just off my deck for everything. I water bath and pressure can in the same All American canner.

The flame adjustment was a little tougher with the turkey/fish frier burner that I had prior. IIRC, I did try cast iron or something between, without much success. I got the Camp Chef soon thereafter.
    :thumbsup: Thanks for the info. I used the turkey fryer last year to boil sweet corn before freezing. When I did the apple sauce, I did it in the pressure canner without sealing. Took forever to boil on the gas range in the kitchen, then it kept splashing over. Was wondering if there was a trick to using a outdoor burner...looks like, as with everything else, having the right tool for the job is important.
    Last time I water bathed apple butter(several years ago) I used a black porcelain pot that I borrowed from my Mom. Probably need to get my own.

Our little guy(18mo. old) loves my apple sauce, but turns his nose up at store-bought stuff.LOL

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The gardener has the seed starts out in the greenhouse, she doesn't plant them outdoors until Mother's day.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Any ideas about planting a food plot in an area floods through out the raining season yet remains dry during the growing season? Seems like all the plant matter, leaves, brush that lands there and breaks down should provide a good area to plant?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Any ideas about planting a food plot in an area floods through out the raining season yet remains dry during the growing season? Seems like all the plant matter, leaves, brush that lands there and breaks down should provide a good area to plant?
    Sunny or shady?

Sand or clay

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    One of the plots I set out is annual, I just buy the mixed bird seed at the store every year, run the tiller through the area, spread straw over the seed.

Top Bottom