• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Gonna be putting my greenhouse up this weekend. All my starter plants have now overrun the house. Tomato plants in the bathtub, makeshift shelves in the windows, holding peppers, corn, cucumbers watermelon, cantaloupe, etc.
    Will get lettuce in the ground this weekend as well but still to early up here to put everything else in. Seems like the last few years I've had to wait to the week before memorial day to put them in the ground.
    I remember 10 years ago when my youngest was born, planting in April. We were eating cherry tomatoes and Jalapenos by memorial day that year. Cant wait to have the greenhouse for future years and even extend my season this year

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Greenhouse is now up. 10 hours later. Tomorrow will do some structural reinforcement on the inside and possibly build benches it the wife figures out what she wants....and my back and knees let me

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Several types of lettuce up and doing well. Carrots coming up but slowly for some reason. Onions up. Spinach doing well. Asparagus not up yet. Peas just popped up a day ago. Broccoli, cabbage, doing well. Cauliflower just came up. Tomatoes are up. Egg plant, cucumbers, zucchini in the ground. Actually zucchini not in the ground yet. I have to prep their spot this week but they are ready to go in the ground and doing well.
    Strawberries growing like mad. Radishes doing very well.

Wondering if it's too early to put my green bean seeds in the ground?
    Corn will be in a raised bed and I'll wait to start those until right before June I think.
    Waiting on okra also unless now is safe? I was thinking they like it a little warmer.
    Hoping to have a good crop

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Wondering if it's too early to put my green bean seeds in the ground?...

I planted some sacrificial beans a couple/three weeks ago, thinking we were in a warming trend. :rolleyes: Zero germination. :n00b:

I ran across this chart, recommended by a YouTube gardener. Veronica Flores has some unique ideas on gardening. Some are kinda :nuts:, some that I'm actually trying. She's easy to watch though.

https://www.gardeners.com/how-to/when-is-it-warm-enough-to-plant/9029.html

Soil Temps. Not air temps.

9029-chart600.jpg

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I'm back to square one. I set most of the seedlings out this week to harden off and none of them made it. I still have some basil, bell peppers, and a couple cucumber sprouts that are still on the counter, and the sugar snap peas, spinach, and radishes that have been outside are doing well. Looks like I'll be hitting a greenhouse for tomatoes and starting my others over.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Hmmm... Are those newly planted? I've had established asparagus coming up for almost a month now. I should have harvested before the last freeze as I lost everything that came up during the earlier warm period, but I just harvested yesterday on new growth.

I do have two new plants in, one of which started above ground a week ago and the second has yet to come up.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My asparagus patch against the south side of the house has produced three times as much as the stand alone patch in the garden. I think ground temps.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Greenhouse I put up this weekend is working perfect. High Temp today here was 46. Greenhouse temp at 80°

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    So what do I need to do with the tomatoes and broccoli? Nothing else seems to be trying very hard yet to come up.

Broccoli is a cold-weather plant and probably will be okay. The tomatoes are more of an issue. I wouldn't worry about the 39 degrees (assuming it doesn't change), but that 33 is a problem. Sigh...

Young plants in a greenhouse will also likely have problems that night, but at least it is an enclosed structure where you can put some temporary heat.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    5 gallon buckets to cover the tomatoes. Or any other like container to keep the frost off.

30 degree temps aren't the problem, frost and freezing is. Tomatoes, peppers, and green beans are not frost tolerant.

Tomatoes are warm weather fruits. They don't grow well when night temps drop below 60 degrees.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    5 gallon buckets to cover the tomatoes. Or any other like container to keep the frost off.

30 degree temps aren't the problem, frost and freezing is. Tomatoes, peppers, and green beans are not frost tolerant.

Tomatoes are warm weather fruits. They don't grow well when night temps drop below 60 degrees.
    What about cucumbers and zucchini?
    And strawberries?
    This is gonna suck for the beans and corn. May be able to save them with some straw

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What about cucumbers and zucchini?
    And strawberries?
    This is gonna suck for the beans and corn. May be able to save them with some straw

Strawberry plants are pretty frost tolerant. The berries and blossoms, not sure?

Might be able to cover the other stuff with plastic ground cover, drop cloth or sheets?

A sprinkler can keep your plants from frost. Wherever the 50ish degree water can be, frost cannot.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the temps won't swing as low, but Fri/Sat look to be possible problems, with daytime highs in the 50's.

This 1Weather forecast looks slightly better. Note that it's southern IN.

forcast-5-4-20.png

Last edited:
    Top Bottom