• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Do you folks till every year.

Our raised bed has some really great dirt from years of attention. I bury the tiller as deep as it will go every spring. This year I wonder if I really need to till.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Definitely not. Soft soil is much better for the plant roots.. That is part of the benefit of raised beds. Far less clay and you aren't trampling over it to compress it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I don't till, I'll be mowing.

My garden was cut out of a 100 year old pasture and is still surrounded by that pasture. Years and years of weed seed already in the soil on top of more deposited every time the wind blows.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    +/- half of my 30 X 90 foot patch gets covered with black plastic. Even the soil that holds the plastic sheeting down grows weeds in no time.

Depending on rain, I till/cultivate every couple weeks or so between plants and plastic mulch. My hoes get quite the workout also... ;)

My tiller tine bearings were pretty sloppy last year. I might be in the market for another tiller this year?

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    +/- half of my 30 X 90 foot patch gets covered with black plastic. Even the soil that holds the plastic sheeting down grows weeds in no time.

Depending on rain, I till/cultivate every couple weeks or so between plants and plastic mulch.

We put the leaf fall (mulched) on the bed and cover in the winter. There are a few weeds but easy to keep up with. But we are dealing with less than half your tilled area. No more room.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    A good book for reference is Square Foot Gardening.

I am using 5 gallon buckets for everything this year.

My seeds are all from fresh produce and my onion , celery, carrots and lettuce are from cuttings.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This little patch takes care of our needs.

4PEDvQP.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I bought a small box of artisan lettuce and a romaine, cored them and just stuck them in some potting soil about 4 days ago.

There are also 2 onions cored out before chopping and an iceberg lettuce.
    20200318-105248.jpg

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    For anyone that uses seed starting trays to start plants, I want to report that a warming pad *really* speeds things up. I've never had plants emerge before 7 days, but I've had some emerge after 3 days this year (cucumber and leafy greens). Very impressive. You can buy simple warming pads or ones with a thermostat for finer control. :yesway:

If you decide you want one right now, Amazon won't deliver quickly due to current circumstances. I got mine on Ebay or you might be able to get one at your local store.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    For bwframe and anyone else doing the celery regrow trick. Jack Spirko is using aquaponics to grow in this 2min video, but the lessons are the same as growing in dirt.

[video=youtube;Xnu0nlaHnJQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnu0nlaHnJQ[/video]

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    That's good looking stuff, do you have a setup to make it or do it on the stove?
    Ran a gas line outside near the side porch, and do most of the boiling there in old canner pots. We bring it inside to finish off. Since we don't have a humidifier, the steam serves that purpose.
    This year we made about 2.5 gallons, a record for us.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Put in some radishes and spinach seeds last week and started some other seeds inside (tomatoes, green beans, peas, peppers, zucchini, yellow squash). Also got a head of Bibb lettuce with the root ball attached in a delivery so it got cut and replanted. Got some sprouting today when I checked.
    BRYyQhz.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom