Outer Heaven

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Got a bit of a surprise this weekend. I never cleared the garden from last year, got busy and forgot about it. I cut the grass for the first time this weekend and found a large sage plant wintered over and was full and bushy, and one of my collards had dried up, slumped over, and this spring rooted and is growing two new plants! Had fresh greens with dinner tonight.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    20200404-161157.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I picked a mess of overwintered kale last week. Whole garden has been tilled. Yesterday I planted potatoes, onions, peas, turnips, mustards, various lettuces, broccoli raab, fennel, carrots, radishes, spinach.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    My asparagus are in their 3rd year. They are coming up strongly now. I'll be enjoying my first home-grown asparagus within the week. Also had a few onions that I left in the ground from last year that are growing strongly right now. I'll be digging down to see how the bulbs look.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    We've got some seeds started, but were hoping to get some more going. Unfortunately, everyplace we've checked so far is sold out. Baker Creek has even closed up shop for a while due to order volume.

Does anyone know of an online vendor who still has veggie seeds in stock.

Anybody out there who saves their seeds that might be willing to sell/barter?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    We've got some seeds started, but were hoping to get some more going. Unfortunately, everyplace we've checked so far is sold out. Baker Creek has even closed up shop for a while due to order volume.

I've seen plenty of seeds at local stores. If you are looking for reasonably standard flower/veggie types, seeds shouldn't be hard to come by locally as they were shipped before the lockdown.
    Is there anything in particular you are looking for? I have a fair collection (like to plant a few of a lot of different plants) and might have something you want/need.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I've seen plenty of seeds at local stores. If you are looking for reasonably standard flower/veggie types, seeds shouldn't be hard to come by locally as they were shipped before the lockdown.
    Is there anything in particular you are looking for? I have a fair collection (like to plant a few of a lot of different plants) and might have something you want/need.

Thank you.

As it turns out, when another part of "we" checked "everywhere", some places might have been missed (or misunderstood) :):

I was just able to place an order for the few things she wanted (radishes/peas/kale) at park seeds. They're on a bit of a delay, and have some things sold out, but they are accepting orders and shipping.

That said, if something else comes up that we actually can't find, I may take you up on that offer.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My asparagus are in their 3rd year. They are coming up strongly now. I'll be enjoying my first home-grown asparagus within the week. Also had a few onions that I left in the ground from last year that are growing strongly right now. I'll be digging down to see how the bulbs look.

The first spear just came up in my garden.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    got japanese radishes planted, will be planting potatoes tomorrow, some spinach also, celery plants in greenhouse and tomatoes and peppers coming up good tooin greenhouse

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    We've been thinking of a greenhouse for a few years now and looking at the kits. Specifically kits made by Palram. Anyone have any experience with these? Looking at an 8'×12' version.
    Most bad reviews seem to be problems with assembly and with heavy winds. To help mitigate the wind issue it would be installed on a deck like foundation and anchored directly to it.

I could build one from scratch but having the time to do it is a huge factor. 2nd factor is if I build one it would be a permanent structure and subject to being taxed, which I obviously dont want

Any other suggestions would be great as well. My budget is around $1k but could probably up it to $1500 if something catches my eye.

Here's a link to the one I'm considering at this time

https://www.costco.com/balance-8'-x-12'-greenhouse.product.100131386.html

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    We've been thinking of a greenhouse for a few years now and looking at the kits. Specifically kits made by Palram. Anyone have any experience with these? Looking at an 8'×12' version.
    Most bad reviews seem to be problems with assembly and with heavy winds. To help mitigate the wind issue it would be installed on a deck like foundation and anchored directly to it.

I could build one from scratch but having the time to do it is a huge factor. 2nd factor is if I build one it would be a permanent structure and subject to being taxed, which I obviously dont want

Any other suggestions would be great as well. My budget is around $1k but could probably up it to $1500 if something catches my eye.

Here's a link to the one I'm considering at this time

https://www.costco.com/balance-8'-x-12'-greenhouse.product.100131386.html

My wife and I have also been having this discussion and I'd love to hear some real world reviews and not the biased ones from websites.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield

I was looking for a particular squash for our garden, Small Wonder, and usually get it from Park Seed. They were sold out, so I did a google and found Jung Seed. https://www.jungseed.com/

I wound up getting several different seeds while I was at it. I put the order in last Monday afternoon, and for a seed-only order they say 2-3 business days...so I should be getting them soon. One thing I did notice with them over Park Seed is that I got more seeds for about the same cost. I won't know how well they do until I get them planted.

Somebody posted(in this thread) a supplier called Johnny Seeds. I went to their page and they are not taking orders until April 28, they are only accepting commercial farmer orders.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Tilled up a big garden at the farm this year. Wife has worked me like a dog now that she is retiring in May. Have the taters and onions in. Waiting on the weather for more.

Gives me time to set up the electric fence to deter critters.

Going to be in big trouble when I get her scare crow done, putting a pic of her mom on the face!! MIL is a great lady, just can't resist the pun.

Don

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Been trying to till my garden on nice days. Have seeds germinating inside under grow lights. Cant wait to plant outside. My mint and lemon balm is going good outside so far and the strawberries are branching out like crazy.

Top Bottom