• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Everything fragile is dead here. Spinach, opinions and a variety of brassicas should be fine, hopefully. Chard kinda looks 50/50?

That's because the Glock vs 1911 and 9mm vs .45 debates are evergreen. Thank you... Thank you very much... :)

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Does anyone still have anything growing for this year?

I still have some fall-planted romaine and arugela that I've only had to protect once. They are okay down to 30, but we had one day at 27 when I had to cover them. No additional freezing projected for the next two weeks.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Still working preps for next spring...

Same. Waiting for the soil to dry the rest of the week so I can till in potash and sulfur in preparation for next year. I'm going to go ahead and rake/till in the leaves that have fallen so far. Normally I just let them compost on the surface over the winter.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Spinach. Last fall we planted spinach and got boatloads in early spring. Doing the same this year. The word among pro's is that every freeze over the winter, the spinach gets sweeter...I'm not so sure.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I have cleared out my little patch, tilled in some peat moss and some lime...now it sits there until next spring, waiting on tomatoes and peppers once again

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    20201112-125137.jpg

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Update on the spinach.
    I have two batches...one section of three rows in a raised bed.....planted about 18 days ago...around an inch high
    Second batch in a greenhouse of sorts.raised bed with a double pane window over it..that spinach was planted about 14 days ago and is roughly three inches high.inches

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have cleared out my little patch, tilled in some peat moss and some lime...now it sits there until next spring, waiting on tomatoes and peppers once again

Same. except for Potash and Sulfur. Cant wait to get the garden back to 100% now that I know what fertilizer I should have been adding. (I was getting near zero yields on peas and green onions)

Had zuppa Tuscana tonight made with fresh kale and potatoes from the garden. The only way to eat kale.

There are two ways to eat Kale from the garden. Munching on handfuls while in the garden, and and cooked. :):

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Just an FYI to gardeners. Looks like seed prices will be going up next year. Not a big shock. There are a lot of new people joining gardening this year.

This might be motivation for some people to look into seed saving. I've been doing it for several years and it really can help you improve garden productivity over time when you select from plants that grow best in your conditions. Also, most garden seeds are actually usable for multiple years. You don't need to buy new seed packs every year. You will see declining germination rates over time, so I just increase the number of seeds in my seed starter setup by one each year to insure that at least one grows in each cell.

MIgardener is a very good YouTube channel to follow for home gardeners. He also runs a seed company. If you are interested, start watching around 3:40 to see his announcement and the background.
    [video=youtube_share;vG1dNtJfgKU]https://youtu.be/vG1dNtJfgKU?t=220[/video]

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hoping not to jinx anything, but stuff still growing...

DSC-0471.jpg

I've learned how to like eating chard (now that we must be toward the end of the season,) turnip greens, not so much. Maybe I'll try harder on the turnip greens, but as long as there is chard and spinach, turnip greens go in the compost.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Pretty chilly tonight. Hope the leftovers can make it through. Fingers pretty chilly even in the sun this afternoon.

DSC-0473.jpg

Top Bottom