• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    For all you experts……. I have oak that has been bucked laying on the ground for 2+ years… splits like a dream but it is still red on the inside. Does the color have anything to do with the dryness? Or is it only red from not being exposed to weather and is in fact dry?
    At two years id say its dry. Red seems to always stay a little

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    That was my thought… especially with the way it is splitting. I have just seen a lot of people referencing color as an indicator of dryness.
    I always go by sound too. If ya hit two splits together and get a nice clunk I guess for lack of better words, then I says its good

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Split a couple ricks of locust with a good friend of mine.
    Seems like a decent hardwood to burn but I'm not sure I've used it in my fireplace before.
    Curious to know if anyone has used locust and what your opinions are.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Split a couple ricks of locust with a good friend of mine.
    Seems like a decent hardwood to burn but I'm not sure I've used it in my fireplace before.
    Curious to know if anyone has used locust and what your opinions are.
    Black locust is great heat, not the best aroma in smoke.

Honey locust (thorn) is sparky and a royal pita.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Red oak is a particular species and the wood itself has a red cast. This can be a problem when you make furniture out of it as the red cast has to be covered up or neutralized if it affects the desired color. Doesn't affect it's use as firewood though.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    For all you experts……. I have oak that has been bucked laying on the ground for 2+ years… splits like a dream but it is still red on the inside. Does the color have anything to do with the dryness? Or is it only red from not being exposed to weather and is in fact dry?
    If it's laying on the ground it will soak up some moisture. Once you spilt, and stack it let it cure for few weeks to a month, and it should be good to go.
    You can buy moisture testers for firewood/wood to test it if you want to know how much moisture is still in it. They are inexpensive and worth it to plan which rick gets burnt next. Or so you can tell your customers the moisture level of the rick/s they plan on buying.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I bucked some cherry, walnut, and oak today. I bust the larger diameter rounds into halves or quarters to save my back.

Pics or it didn’t happen.

5a79d27138c8b75abe1af7c9ab3fce1f.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    If it's laying on the ground it will soak up some moisture. Once you spilt, and stack it let it cure for few weeks to a month, and it should be good to go.
    You can buy moisture testers for firewood/wood to test it if you want to know how much moisture is still in it. They are inexpensive and worth it to plan which rick gets burnt next. Or so you can tell your customers the moisture level of the rick/s they plan on buying.
    A must have tool if you're a buyer or seller, IMHO.
    20221023_143409.jpg
    20221023_150304.jpg

Firewood11-2021c.JPG

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    With the colder air outside my stove has a serious downdraft issue…. Long story short I cannot call the people who installed the stove. Any advice? There is no flue and I believe that is my issue….. but I am far from an expert so if there is a fix without adding a flue since I don’t know how I am all ears

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I’m gonna try cleaning out the inside of the box today and then get a hot fire going and see what happens

Edit: cleaned out the inside shop vac and all. I’m ruling out a damper issue since the smoke was pouring in while I was attempting to light a fire….. after having the torch in there trying to warm up the chimney for 5-10 minutes….. now the fire is going barely any flames smoking like crazy…..

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When I get the fire started I always have a ball of loose newspaper that I light after lighting the base of the fire. This gets the draft moving up quickly.

When we shut down the fire in the evening we cover the insert with this quilted cover the gardener made. It attaches magnetically and stops any cold air infiltration.

fpcover.jpg

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I’m gonna try cleaning out the inside of the box today and then get a hot fire going and see what happens

Edit: cleaned out the inside shop vac and all. I’m ruling out a damper issue since the smoke was pouring in while I was attempting to light a fire….. after having the torch in there trying to warm up the chimney for 5-10 minutes….. now the fire is going barely any flames smoking like crazy…..
    Does your chimney have a cap with metal screening?

Something along the lines of these....Chimney Caps

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    With the colder air outside my stove has a serious downdraft issue…. Long story short I cannot call the people who installed the stove. Any advice? There is no flue and I believe that is my issue….. but I am far from an expert so if there is a fix without adding a flue since I don’t know how I am all ears
    When you say “no flue” what are you describing as you must have some kind of flue? A chmimney has a flue and a pipe from your stove is also a flue.

My recollection is your chimney or pipe must be 3 feet above anything within 10 feet.

Found it:

The 3-2-10 Rule

This rule means that your chimney’s shortest side needs to be at least 3 feet above the roof penetration, and its top has to be 2 feet higher than any part of the building that’s within 10 feet.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Can you share any photos of your setup ? It`s hard to speculate what might be going on with guessing .
    Almost sounds like it could be a blockage in the pipe ( creosote or a possible animal nest ? ) .

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Cleaned out the stove
    When you say “no flue” what are you describing as you must have some kind of flue? A chmimney has a flue and a pipe from your stove is also a flue.

My recollection is your chimney or pipe must be 3 feet above anything within 10 feet.

Found it:

The 3-2-10 Rule

This rule means that your chimney’s shortest side needs to be at least 3 feet above the roof penetration, and its top has to be 2 feet higher than any part of the building that’s within 10 feet.
    im saying it has no adjustment to adjust the exhaust side of the stove sorry I don’t know all the correct terms lol not an expert hense my problems…..
    Can you share any photos of your setup ? It`s hard to speculate what might be going on with guessing .
    Almost sounds like it could be a blockage in the pipe ( creosote or a possible animal nest ? ) .
    attached pictures there is no blockage ran a brush from the top today all the way to the stove.

Found it:

The 3-2-10 Rule

the chimney is well above the peak of the roof and the peak of the roof is over 10’ away from the chimney

so I am pretty bummed out because I was looking forward to using the new stove on Christmas eve with my family….. I climbed on the roof today there are no obstructions in the chimney ran a brush down to the stove and creosote build up is minimal. And it worked perfect for about a month

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpeg
      IMG_0652.jpeg
      550.4 KB · Views: 12
    • IMG_0653.jpeg
      IMG_0653.jpeg
      449.1 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The situation you're describing happens with my stove when the chimney outside is warm, from the sun shining on the unpainted stainless steel pipe and oftentimes when the interior of the cabin is colder than the the chimney. It takes some doing but eventually I can get the stove hot enough that the smoke starts moving up the pipe and continues to flow up and out the chimney. I will also say, even though my chimney clears the roof peak to meet code, I think I should have added an additional section outside.

Maybe you're having a similar issue? Leadeye's technique has merit. Getting heat flowing up the chimney is key.

Old pic from when before we finished the interior
    2017-08-19y.jpg

Also an old pic from years ago
    2017-08-19u.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom