Not open for further replies.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    At the end of last fall we moved out Beech, Maple, Poplar, Oak, & Walnut. (pics not in order).
    20221023_143409.jpg
    20221023_143506.jpg
    20221023_150213.jpg
    20221023_150304.jpg
    20221023_150544.jpg

As soon as we finish another project currently in the works and the ground is hard or dry enough, we will be back out at it.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So getting a wood stove installed in the house sometime during spring / summer. I am new to the fireplace game and have never heated anything besides marshmallows with wood. So I think I found the splitter I am going to get (unless someone tells me it is terrible) https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200632933_200632933

now I need to find a real saw (right now I only have a 16” electric ego saw) should I look used thinking stihl or husquavarna just because those are the big names. I would like one saw that can accept different bars ? I don’t really want a bunch of saws laying around. But I know a 16” bar won’t cut it for a full time gig.

next is moisture meter? Are there ones I should stay away from ones better than others?

looking forward to joining the party and stacking wood.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    with 2 saws you have a backup, and the ability to get back the saw you pinched. a 16" will cut alot of wood and be better for trimming etc, and then a bigger one for the trunk work. just my 2 cents. I never had a meter but try to stay 2 years ahead and stack so the wind and sun can help dry

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    So getting a wood stove installed in the house sometime during spring / summer. I am new to the fireplace game and have never heated anything besides marshmallows with wood. So I think I found the splitter I am going to get (unless someone tells me it is terrible) https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200632933_200632933

now I need to find a real saw (right now I only have a 16” electric ego saw) should I look used thinking stihl or husquavarna just because those are the big names. I would like one saw that can accept different bars ? I don’t really want a bunch of saws laying around. But I know a 16” bar won’t cut it for a full time gig.

next is moisture meter? Are there ones I should stay away from ones better than others?

Stihl 290 for a good all around saw. Not bad on the price. Itll cut alot of firewood ya need. Always good to have a good splitting maul and a axe as well. Make sure ya get get the protective gear. Something i need to do myself

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    with 2 saws you have a backup, and the ability to get back the saw you pinched. a 16" will cut alot of wood and be better for trimming etc, and then a bigger one for the trunk work. just my 2 cents. I never had a meter but try to stay 2 years ahead and stack so the wind and sun can help dry
    My worry is keeping track maybe I will get a better system once I am actually
    Using the wood right now camp firewood just gets haphazardly stacked since it doesn’t matter.

Also covering wood? How beneficial is it after spending $ on tons of tarps

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Stihl 290 for a good all around saw. Not bad on the price. Itll cut alot of firewood ya need. Always good to have a good splitting maul and a axe as well. Make sure ya get get the protective gear. Something i need to do myself
    I recommend the fiskars splitting axe. I thought all were the same but I love mine and it is easier to use.
    The 290 is a great saw as a midsize saw to start with. For a little more money the 311 is a good choice. About the same weight but larger fuel and oil tanks and it is fuel efficient.
    Really depends on how big of trees your harvesting.. easier to have a bigger saw with a smaller bar than overworking a smaller one
    Where are you located? If you’re close you can come over and try a 029, 311 or a 460.. I also have a 023 and a ms250 in the shop right now but if the shoe fits you can try it on and cut some different types of wood or a cord or two.
    I open this offer to anyone around me.. I live in grant county. Hope this helps. Blessings.. tim

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Firewooding is one of those things that can turn from a hobby (me) to a lifestyle (everybody else that posts on this series). The tools you obtain to feed your need really are a reaction to how far you go down this rabbit hole.

If you have a tractor that can run that splitter - more power to ya and let us know how you like it.

In your search for a capable saw for your needs, depending on your distance from Noblesville I recommend you become best friends with @bocefus78. He's got a lot of knowledge and resources for saws and such.

The OG and I started out not knowing what we were doing and have evolved to a reasonable process that, when we devote the time, nets a decent amount of wood for our family, friends, INGO friends, and ourselves. It has taken us about 4 seasons to learn how to work more effectively and not harder.

For ideas on what would and would not work for you, this is a perfect time for me to shamelessly plug my YouTube channel that I've been running for a couple of seasons.

Heartland Trading Post

All of us that post here will be glad to offer experience, insight, and humor to your questions and problems that you may encounter.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Some notes:

Before I could afford a 2nd saw, I carried (and still do) a "boy's axe" for freeing a stuck bar.

The moisture meter seen in my pics I think is no longer produced. But I spent less that $30 for it and have been very pleased. Spend accordingly.

Get a picaroon Pickaroon! (missed it by just that much DD).

Last edited:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    In for the new year.

2023 random update on Stihl mtronic saws:
    The wiring harnesses on these saws are nla. Blame Russia. They leveled the building in Ukraine where the 1 and only supplier used to manufacture them. These saws are now being shipped as ol school carb saws. If you own an mtronic saw and need a harness, be prepared to buy a new saw or convert it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Also covering wood? How beneficial is it after spending $ on tons of tarps
    We started out tarping our stacks. It proved to do no more than provide a nice home for critters so we don't tarp any more.

We stack a face cord uncovered on 4x4x8 ground contact posts sitting on concrete blocks and it works out fine, the wood cures in a reasonable time depending on species. I like having the shed, this one when full holds more than a full cord. Wish I had five more of them.
    011.jpg

Rain and snow doesn't really detract from the curing process. If you take it indoors to burn after it's been rained on it will dry up quickly sitting next to your stove.

20230101_125640.jpg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom